Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw it last night. I thought it was very good, but not spectacular. It is gorgeously shot, that's for sure. It was nice to see a vampire film that felt just different enough to stand out in light of all the crappy ones released every year. I'll definitely be picking up the DVD.
Old 10-30-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Play Dates in the U.S.:

http://www.magpictures.com/dates.asp...8-f754d4f32785
Old 10-30-08, 04:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
An open letter to "Nothing but Trailers" on HDNET. Please cut down on showing the trailer for this movie. Kthnxbye.
Old 10-30-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
WTF is up with AFI Silver? An award winning film that I've been waiting months to see - and they give it a single screening as part of their EU film festival. A single screening? Both "Baader Meinhof Complex" and "Gamorrah" are getting 2 screenings each, so why just one for this flick?!?

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was the weekend instead of 10 PM on a Thursday night during an abnormal work week.
Old 10-30-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Gunde
Really? I thought it had a long time ago. It premiered at the Göteborg International Film Festival in january. They are sure taking their time with it
It played Toronto IFF and a few others this summer - I think Venice and Cannes, but I could be mistaken.
Old 10-30-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul1957
Sweet.

Looks like the theater that was playing it at the local film festival in my area is showing it again
Old 10-30-08, 11:10 PM
Suspended

i got a free pass to see this at my school. i think i'll check it out.
Old 10-31-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fabulous. it's playing 2.5 hours away. in a month.
Old 11-03-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is one of the better movies I've seen this year and probably one of the few horror movies I've seen in theatres that I've loved. It has a perfect cold, still atmosphere and some of the more memorable set pieces in any horror film, vampire or otherwise, that I've seen in recent years.

Everything about it is excellent and it never telegraphs its intentions or explains anything too much.

Still, it is as much a coming-of-age romance as it is a horror movie, and it is not especially gory, save for two scenes, one of which makes The Dark Knight's Harvey Dent make-up/CGI look like one of the creatures from Little Monsters.
Old 11-03-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second clip
Old 11-03-08, 01:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
now I'm really siked to see this come Thursday night!
Old 11-03-08, 01:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Holy crap this looks great.
Old 11-03-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Damn this is one amazing movie!! Can't recommend it enough
Old 11-03-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That clip is unfortunately giving a little too much away as that's one of the most crucial scenes in the movie. It's not necessarily a spoiler, I just imagine it would take some of the impact away from the film once you see it.

And don't see the trailer too much either.
Old 11-03-08, 09:22 PM

I would say that you shouldn't let yourself get hyped up about this. It's very good but not the most amazing thing to come out in years like some people have put forth in other reviews I've read (on other sites). If you think that, you'll probably be disappointed. I enjoyed it a lot and would recommend it, yes, but I wasn't blown away or anything.

Spoiler:
Like someone else said, the cat thing was just hilarious and really messed with the mood for me. The immolation didn't bother me so much.

And are we supposed to think her "dad" was really just another dude like the main character boy that just got old or was it really her dad? And could he suck any more at killing people? Maybe he just wasn't into it anymore and subconsciously wanted it to be over?

For me the coolest thing was when she came in uninvited.

Last edited by celmendo; 11-04-08 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-04-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

celmendo: You're right. It's not the best movie of the decade. It's not the best horror movie of the decade. But it probably is one of the better vampire movies of the modern era.

I just urge everyone to keep in mind that the movie's competition in that category is stuff like Dracula 2000, Queen of the Damned, Blade, etc.
Old 11-04-08, 12:07 PM

it's in the theaters in sweden now so a dvd release in jan-feb?
Old 11-04-08, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's certainly a cut above almost every other vampire film I've seen in the past few years, but it felt like it was missing a little something. Perhaps it was just a little too cold and clinical for my taste.

Spoiler:
I did like the idea that the older man was also once a child who had become fascinated with Eli and stayed with her, and that Oskar will end up the same way. It adds an interesting layer to the story that isn't expressed outright in the film.

I think my main problem was that there really weren't any scares. I know it's hard to get scared when the vampire is the main character instead of the villain, but I was hoping for a little more than what I got, especially after reading the DVD Talk reviews. There were some amazing moments (especially the shot of her eyes in the dark when Oskar takes her to that weird warehouse looking area) I did enjoy it quite a bit, but I won't be purchasing it. And I wouldn't call it one of the best films of the year, just a very good one.
Old 11-04-08, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
WTF is up with AFI Silver? An award winning film that I've been waiting months to see - and they give it a single screening as part of their EU film festival. A single screening? Both "Baader Meinhof Complex" and "Gamorrah" are getting 2 screenings each, so why just one for this flick?!?

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was the weekend instead of 10 PM on a Thursday night during an abnormal work week.
newsflash! it actually begins the next day (Friday) at Landmark E Street.
Old 11-04-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I think my main problem was that there really weren't any scares. I know it's hard to get scared when the vampire is the main character instead of the villain, but I was hoping for a little more than what I got
There aren't meant to be any scares... Some unsettling scenes, at most. This is essentially a coming-of-age story that features a vampire, not a horror movie about vampires.
Old 11-05-08, 01:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There still could have been some. It does have its horror movie moments.
Old 11-06-08, 10:18 PM
Suspended

Great movie, disturbing an interesting. The ending is off that wall.
Old 11-07-08, 03:37 PM

well at one point I thought the movie was just about to end, but then realized wait there's a subplot that has to be resolved ... and needless to say it left a complete smile on my face.

visually it's an amazing movie, the train outside the school at night as the lights pass between the windows - beautiful... the film is almost monochromatic at times. One noticeable filming flaw - there's an outside shot outside the apartment just before another victim it going to get it, and there's absolutely no snow, obviousily this scene was not shot with the rest of the film.
Old 11-09-08, 10:42 AM

I saw this for the second time last night and think it's brilliant. Haunting and beautiful (not two words usually associated with a horror movie but fitting in this case I think).
Old 11-09-08, 10:52 AM

One of the best films of the year (of the ones I've seen, obviously). Haunting, beautiful and, apart from

Spoiler:
the absurd cat sequence

it was nearly perfect. The two kids were dynamite, and the story was simple and moving.The cinematography is the best I've seen this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.