Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tempest (Taymor, 2009): Helen Mirren as Prosper(a), w/Jeremy Irons, Russell Brand

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Tempest (Taymor, 2009): Helen Mirren as Prosper(a), w/Jeremy Irons, Russell Brand

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From The Hollywood Reporter:
Julie Taymor is gathering a cast ranging from blue-blooded Oscar winners to up-and-comers for her big-screen adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Tempest" that, in a gender-defying twist, will see Helen Mirren reigning over the magical island.

Although the play centers on Prospero, an exiled duke-turned-sorcerer, Taymor -- who likes to take an experimental approach to her stage and film projects -- has rechristened the lead character Prospera so that Mirren can take on the role.

Mirren will be surrounded by Jeremy Irons, Djimon Hounsou, Russell Brand, Alfred Molina, Ben Wishaw and Felicity Jones. Geoffrey Rush is in negotiations to join the cast.
Old 10-08-08, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of Taymor doing more Shakespeare gets me salivating. I love Titus and consider it a masterpiece of the highest order. The Tempest is even one of my Favorite Shakespeare works so this will guarantee me seeing this one. Hopefully this is as visually stunning as Taymor's other films.
Old 10-09-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Julie Taymor lost a lot of respect from me after the abomination that was Across the Universe.

As much as I enjoyed Titus, it does not help matters that I feel The Tempest is one of Shakespeare's most overrated plays.
Old 06-10-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Tempest (Taymor, 2009): Helen Mirren as Prosper(a), w/Jeremy Irons, Russell B

On-set pic gallery
Old 08-25-09, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Tempest (Taymor, 2009): Helen Mirren as Prosper(a), w/Jeremy Irons, Russell B

Well looks like it as been delayed until sometime in 2010 because of a bunch of special effects that they are still working on.
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...arrive-in-2010
Old 08-25-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As much as I enjoyed Titus, it does not help matters that I feel The Tempest is one of Shakespeare's most overrated plays.
Well Titus is thought to be one of his weakest and she did a great job with that. I personally love The Tempest.
Old 10-05-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trailer up on Apple.

Deadline posted the youtube trailer, then it was pulled inexplicably.

Mind you, the trailer itself was pretty inexplicable.