Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Back From Eternity" - very good old film!

Old 10-08-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Back From Eternity" - very good old film!

Last weekend, I was sick and flicking through the channels. On TCM was a title I never heard before, but saw in the cast it had an actor I really liked: Rod Steiger. Saw the plot was about a plane that has to crash land on an island inhabited by headhunters! I thought: mmkay, might be good.

The only other film I saw Steiger in during the 1950's was On The Waterfront, so I was curious to see which character he would be playing. At first, I thought he was the gangster Thomas who's small son was going on the plane with the thug guardian. Thomas the gangster had heavy dark horn-rimmed glasses, but I thought it was him. Then I saw, nah, that ain't him. Then I second-guessed myself, then finally said, no! Ain't him! And I was right. It wasn't him. So I'm waiting...and waiting...seems they introduced all the characters already, so I'm like, who's he going to be...a headhunter?!

Sure enough, during a stop-over, we hear about a criminal coming aboard, and a car is skooting through the airport with criminal-in-tow, and there he was! My man, Rod! In any case, he held up his end of the bargain and impressed me.

I found myself really liking not only Rod's character, but also the character of the guardian with the little boy Thomas Jr.

The ending was perfect! The way they left it where you only saw the legs of the headhunter warriors...and I see now where they got the ending for The Mist.

Great film, really enjoyed it. Hope to see it released on DVD one day...
Old 10-08-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a good movie, but Five Came Back is better IMO.