DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Oh Dear.....Bull Durham 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/541076-oh-dear-bull-durham-2-a.html)

E Unit 10-06-08 08:36 AM

Oh Dear.....Bull Durham 2

One of my favorite movies and one the best sports movies....but I see no need for this. Just read this from imdb.com

Costner In Talks For Bull Durham Sequel
6 October 2008 5:10 AM, PDT

A sequel to Kevin Costner's award-winning baseball movie Bull Durham is in the pipeline, according U.S. reports.

The hit 1988 movie, starring Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, was nominated for a Best Screenplay Oscar at the 1989 ceremony in Los Angeles.

Costner has been in a series of meetings with the film's director Ron Shelton to discuss the possibility of resurrecting his Crash Davis character in a sequel to the beloved film.

Sarandon is also slated to return to play Annie Savoy, according to New York gossip column PageSix.

The actress was nominated for a Golden Globe and won the Best Actress gong at the Boston Society of Film Critics Awards for the role.

rexinnih 10-06-08 08:57 AM

Hm, will have to wait and see on this one. Really enjoyed the first. Damn Costner, need money?

Cardsfan111 10-06-08 09:01 AM

I'll leave the door open on this being ok considering they may have a couple of the leads in on the project. I really enjoyed the first one as well.

Groucho 10-06-08 09:16 AM

I thought the sequel to this was "Tin Cup". Shelton just did a search and replace for "baseball" with "golf".

sauce07 10-06-08 09:43 AM

Costner on the diamond? I'm down for this.

d2cheer 10-06-08 09:47 AM

Same here, I would rather have a Tin Cup sequel though...

DRG 10-06-08 10:10 AM

I was certain when I read the thread title this was going to be another lame direct-to-dvd sequel with a new cast of twenty-somethings and no connection to the original except that the team is the Durham Bulls (and maybe a cameo by one of the original's third-tier stars). But with Costner, Shelton, and Sarandon onboard, my interest is piqued.

Liver&Onions 10-06-08 10:16 AM

Clear the mechanism.

Oh, wait. Wrong Costner baseball film. My bad.

devilshalo 10-06-08 11:40 AM

Hasn't he already finished his baseball career.

Bull Durham -> For Love of the Game -> The Upside of Anger

:hscratch:

Drexl 10-06-08 12:16 PM

I don't see how this would work. Wasn't his character in his 30s in the original? You can't have a 50-something-year-old guy in the minors. Even Tim Robbins' character would probably be retired too.

devilshalo 10-06-08 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 8986888)
I don't see how this would work. Wasn't his character in his 30s in the original? You can't have a 50-something-year-old guy in the minors. Even Tim Robbins' character would probably be retired too.

Well, at the end of Bull Durham, didn't he accept a manager's position?

Groucho 10-06-08 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 8986888)

He'll be mentoring some 20-something dude who turns out to be the son of the Susan Sarandon character. Except she doesn't know if Costner is the dad or Robbins. Hilarity ensues.

NoirFan 10-06-08 09:46 PM

Like Stallone returning to the Rambo and Rocky franchises, Costner probably realizes the public has little interest in watching him in anything but a retread role.

PopcornTreeCt 10-06-08 10:47 PM

Never saw Bull Durham. I'd paid to see Kevin Costner plow another corn field...this time for a football field.

coli 10-07-08 09:38 AM

Hollywood is so out of original ideas anymore..... This is why I rarely goto the movies anymore. Bull Durham is a classic, please lets keep it that way, and don't do a sequel.

BJacks 10-07-08 10:28 AM

Before you get out the pitchforks, the Bill Durham sequel rumor has been around for years and this new wave is completely unsourced. It appears to be from an anonymous story at the NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/10062008...ill_132345.htm) which also mentions that Tim Robbins is expected to return. Except Robbins told us just a couple of weeks ago that he will never, ever make a sequel to Durham.

Tim Robbins:

"I wouldn’t want to do it," he said of the sequel talk he’s heard over the years for films like "Bull Durham." "I don’t like sequels, so I don’t want to do sequels."

clappj 10-08-08 09:31 AM

Oh dear indeed!

Groucho 10-08-08 09:45 AM

What? No Dead Man Walking 2: Weekend at Poncelet's?