Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only THOR movie "News and Rumors" thread (2010 release)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One & Only THOR movie "News and Rumors" thread (2010 release)

Old 04-30-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One & Only THOR movie "News and Rumors" thread (2010 release)

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I hope Beta Ray Bill is in the sequel.
Why sequel when he's already in the first one!

Old 04-30-10, 12:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both those pics look pretty sharp. I'm kind of excited.
Old 04-30-10, 01:03 PM

HAhaha Again

Spoiler:
But seriously, pics look pretty promising.
Old 04-30-10, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Everything LOOKS good. I am worried about Branagh directing, as the last good movie he made was "Much Ado About Nothing" and that came out 17 years ago.
I know it came out before Much Ado, but Dead Again is such an awesome movie that I will use any excuse to mention it. Also, Branagh's version of Henry V (another pre-Much Ado film) was great.
Old 04-30-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My all-time favorite comic book character. Think that pic looks fantastic, not a comic book movie in development I'm more psyched for than this one.
Old 04-30-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
My all-time favorite comic book character. Think that pic looks fantastic, not a comic book movie in development I'm more psyched for than this one.
100% agree with all this... My only issue is if its not any good, Ill be beyond disappointed.
Old 04-30-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
From over at comicbookmovies.com (by way of Latino Review) - looks like a crew member got a picture of 'The Destroyer', a character from the Thor comics, that will appear in the movie...

Latino Review's source says:
THE DESTROYER is sent to earth by Loki to destroy Thor. It stands at about 9 FEET TALL.

For those you aren't sure what the Destroyer(via Wiki), The character first appears in Journey into Mystery #118 (Jul. 1965) and was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. The Destroyer is an enchanted suit of armor forged by Odin, and when it first appeared it was hinted that the Destroyer had been created as a weapon to face some dark menace from the stars. The Destroyer is used by Thor's arch-foe Loki on several occasions, and each time has actually come close to killing Thor.
Originally Posted by jpoppe
Fantastic!
Old 04-30-10, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to admit. I love IM and Cap A LOT but...a Thor movie...considering it's Norse mythology awesomeness just screams epic film. Who wouldn't want to see that? By Odin's beard I hope this thing is amazing.
Old 05-01-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Who wouldn't want to see that?
Lots of people, spent years working in a comic book store, only met 1 person ever who said their favorite character was Thor besides me. Until this became a mainstream movie, probably 98% of people have never picked up a Thor comic in their lives.

Also, surprised but glad they went with the Coipel-armor.
Old 05-01-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd wet my pants if they let Amon Amarth record a song for use in the film. This movie screams for one of their brutal tracks.
Old 05-01-10, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Lots of people, spent years working in a comic book store, only met 1 person ever who said their favorite character was Thor besides me. Until this became a mainstream movie, probably 98% of people have never picked up a Thor comic in their lives.

Also, surprised but glad they went with the Coipel-armor.
I don't mean a Thor film but an epic Norse film of that nature I mean...whether it be Thor or not but a Huge ass Norse Mythology film is always a good thing.
Old 05-01-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dam they put the Destroyer in this flim I am sold I am there first in-line.

His main power is an optical blast from his eyes!

(I have every issue of THOR that has the Destroyer in it,they are great reads)
Old 05-02-10, 10:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Everything LOOKS good. I am worried about Branagh directing, as the last good movie he made was "Much Ado About Nothing" and that came out 17 years ago.
Much Ado About Nothing KICKED ASS!
Old 05-02-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't get too excited over one pic. I want to see some footage before frothing at the mouth.
Old 05-02-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

granted, we can't see the whole costume, but it looks pretty badass so far.
Old 05-14-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was posted over at Blu-ray.com:

Originally Posted by GreenScar

After being inundated with emails this morning requesting details about the THOR movie script I read, I've decided to put it here for all to see. DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind that scripts change daily, and this was not the final draft used for the film.

That being said, let's get to the good stuff...

FINAL SPOILER WARNING!
Spoiler:

Thor: Opening Scene

The film opens up in the best possible way; the introduction of the Nine Realms by a 'booming voice' against a black screen. Embossed words describing each of the worlds begin to appear as the camera opens on the first.

The three Norse spirits Verðandi (present), Urðr (fate) and Skuld (future) narrate the creation of the realms and how the different manner of creatures in them came to be. First, the camera flies over Muspelheim followed by Hel and Niffleheim. The first character introduced Ymir, the first of the Frost Giants and his family in the realm of Jotunheim. You then pass over the realm of the dwarves, Svartalfheim, and the elves, Nidavellir. The camera flows through Midgard (Earth) and we see man exulting Odin in his temple. Finally, the camera pans through Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge, to the the Hall of Asgard, which is filled with the Aesir. You see a glimpse of the Einherjar guard and winged Valkyries overhead, in what could only be Valhalla. Odin and Gaea are introduced while they are

. . . umm, conceiving a child. That child turns out to be Thor. Movie title appears.

The scene darkens and ends, when it opens again we are in 'present day' (centuries after the last scene). We find ourselves on the Asgardian border, where Thor (now an adult), his adoptive brother Loki, Fandral, Hogun, Volstagg and Balder (who is actually an older character, as apposed to the comics) are riding thunderously on their horses. They have been tasked on a mission to find Ivaldi, the Dwarf king of Svartalfheim. As they ride to the passageway between realms, we see a giant forge and three blacksmiths at work. They are creating the mighty Mjolnir, to present to Thor upon his arrival...

Let me tell you, the first thing that came to mind after reading these first few pages was: Lord of the Rings on steroids and meade. I literally got chills when I read the part of Ymir, in all his grotesque, Frost Giant glory, feasting on a gigantic cow. It made this movie feel REAL. In a little more than a year, this film will ACTUALLY hit theaters! As for the tone and scale of the script (if you're an avid reader of Thor comics you'll know what I mean), think of the Ages of Thunder storyline. The perfect choice, in my opinion.

If you're waiting to read what Thor does to become banished from Asgard, stay tuned for Part II.

Well what do you think?
Old 05-14-10, 05:41 PM
Banned

I like it. Sounds mythical which it needs to be.
Old 05-14-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And, you know, it wasn't a SFX comic book and everything.

I know nothing about Thor but the 2 pics so far means they have my money.
Old 05-14-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Impressive
Old 05-30-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenScar
A picture of the model of the Destroyer that will be featured in Thor.

Spoiler:

Source
Old 05-30-10, 05:02 PM
Banned

Man that looks soooo cool.
Old 05-30-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

While I doubt it will happen this way, I think it would be cool if they ended this movie with Tony Stark getting Thor into his car to talk to him about the Avengers project. While they're driving, Stark plays one of his AC/DC songs that just happens to be "Thunder," then the credits roll.
Old 05-30-10, 08:27 PM
Banned

Doesn't seem impossible...actually it seems like something that could easily be done considering it's in the same vein of anything Tony Stark. but....it probably won't be that but still cool.
Old 06-03-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Spoiler for size:

Now Thor Concept Art Hits The Web

Spoiler:

Just yesterday costume designs leaked online from Captain America: The First Avenger — didn’t it used to be The First Avenger: Captain America? — and now, courtesy of Collider, we get a look at similar concept art from Thor.

Oh, sure, it’s not nearly as big of a deal as the Captain America art — after all, Marvel Studios released a shadowy image of star Chris Hemsworth in costume more than a month ago — but it does show a glowing, but traditional-looking Mjolnir. So no Ultimates-style ax/hammer hybrid, apparently (thankfully?).

However, the images come across as … less than god-like, don’t they? The cape doesn’t have the heft of the Hemsworth photo and, from the waist down, Thor’s regal attire looks a little like a child’s ill-fitting $20 plastic Halloween costume.

Drew McWeeny of HitFix, who’s been to the Thor set and viewed Hemsworth’s final costume tests, confirms that what we’re seeing is the actual design, but cautions that “there are several details about it that are ill-served by those images.”

“For one thing, it does not appear to be made of vinyl or plastic when you see the costume in context and in motion,” he writes. “I’m surprised by how disco-shiny those photos make him look, because that’s not at all what it looks like in the film. There’s a real cloth and metal feel to all of the costuming, especially the Asgardian stuff.”

“Look, these images weren’t meant for public consumption,” McWeeny continues. “If you’re looking at these and thinking, ‘Oh, man, they got him totally wrong,’ relax. The world of Thor is big and rich and surprising, and I think once people actually see moving footage, they’re going to let go of any minor issues they have with button sizes or color palettes.”

Visit Collider to see the second image (in which Hemsworth, strangely, is shown looking a lot like Will Ferrell).

The Kenneth Branaugh-directed film, which stars Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and Anthony Hopkins, is set to open on May 6, 2011.
Old 06-03-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Facially he looks like Thor from the Ultimates. I hope this movie comes off like the original Iron Man, a little known character that gets bolstered by actually having a good movie made about him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.