Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

34 of the Best Modern Opening Sequences

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

34 of the Best Modern Opening Sequences

Old 09-24-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by moviewizguy View Post
Or your unecessary post, troll. You are one of those people who don't respect peoples' opinions, right? Ignorant people.
Yeah, shame on those ignorant people that create threads. Tsk tsk.
Old 09-24-08, 10:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by moviewizguy View Post
Or your unecessary post, troll. You are one of those people who don't respect peoples' opinions, right? Ignorant people.
Mod note: Personal attacks are a violation of forum rules and can result in suspension or banning.
Old 09-24-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Mod note: Personal attacks are a violation of forum rules and can result in suspension or banning.
?? Devils halo (nothing against him) replied "ignorantly" twice - why the hell did you throw this up?
Old 09-24-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
blue velvet's opening is awesome
Damn straight! What could be MORE descriptive of a movie called Blue Velvet than the names of the actors, writer, producer, and director.... ON THE SCREEN, over a background of (wait for it) blue freaking velvet!

Brilliant.

Spoiler:
And for the record, I thought the Superman opening credits took too damn long. Flying names! Wow. Oh, there's another flying name! Just like the first one. No, wait. A third one. Just like the first one, which was just like the second one. Boy, we're a minute into the credits and I can't wait to see who the fourth actor in this is. Here it comes. Amazing! Just like the third one, which like the first two flew onto the screen. Are there more? Wow, a fifth! Do I have time to go pee? You've seen this before... yes? Oh, it's another 3 minutes before the credits end. Do you want any Junior Mints while I'm up?

I shiite you not, three minutes, fourty-eight seconds of credits! Here, time it yourself:

After the first one or two, I get it. At home, I FF thru it.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 09-24-08 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-25-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
But to "contribue", I offer this humble nominee for best ending:

The final 7 minutes of Sidney Lumet's =Fail Safe= (1964).

From 3:50 on it's gut wrenching (at least for me).
Old 09-25-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just the opening credits of Seconds (designed by Saul Bass of course) below, but the opening sequence in it's entirety is truly spectacular, with fantastic cinematography from James Wong Howe.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-VI6kxyV3w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-VI6kxyV3w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-25-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is everyone so hateful? I've noticed this trend in a lot of threads. Someone posts something, then is ridiculed. I think it's a cool idea for a thread, maybe everyone should list their favorites, instead of tearing apart OP.
Old 09-25-08, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yep the tone on this site has indefinitely gotten worse. It's turning into **************

But it happens to every forum on the net, I guess we were just lucky that DVDTalk was a nice place for a longer time than most other sites.
Old 09-25-08, 04:16 PM

I always enjoy M Night's opening sequences. He has a throwback feel to his openings.

On another note, I wish people would show a little more respect to the OP. I'm sure you guys wouldn't speak to someone like that in the real world.
Old 09-25-08, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
As a moderator, you should be setting a good example of posting without disrespecting DVDtalk members. Calling a thread a "sad excuse for a thread" disrespects the OP and opens the door for others to disrespect the OP.
Old 09-25-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the opening scene in Altman's The Player is pretty damn fun.
Old 09-25-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cgray View Post
I think the opening scene in Altman's The Player is pretty damn fun.
Especially since it both visually and verbally references the opening sequence in Touch of Evil.
Old 09-25-08, 06:49 PM

Oh, I don't really care if people bashes on me. Trust me, I've always wen through this phase when I post something like this. You gotta see the responses from people when they read my review for "Disaster Movie" (I actually liked it, hahaha, get it?) ANYWAY...

Now that you guys have completely butchered my list (except for a few), what were some titles on the list that you guys liked? I mean, I'm curious because I put those films on there for a reason (to get known) because no one ever watch films like "The New World," "Lola Rennt," and "Vacancy."
Old 09-25-08, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The_Cube View Post
I always enjoy M Night's opening sequences. He has a throwback feel to his openings.

On another note, I wish people would show a little more respect to the OP. I'm sure you guys wouldn't speak to someone like that in the real world.
I completely agree. I also absolutely adored "The Happening"s opening credits with the clouds getting darker. I loved that ominous music forboding something.
Old 09-27-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I liked a lot of the choices on this list, but am surprised that the title sequence for Se7en was omitted:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEZK7mJoPLY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEZK7mJoPLY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Although it's impact has been somewhat lessened by it being copied a lot since then, I remember that this credit sequence blew me away when I saw it on the big screen back in 1995)
Old 09-27-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
No list would be complete without Seconds.
It's great, but I wouldn't classify a 1966 film as "Modern" as specified in this thread.