Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore's new film SLACKER UPRISING availible for FREE online!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-23-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love him or hate him, you have to admire his enthusiasm.

Summary:

Slacker Uprising is a movie of Michael Moore’s tour of colleges in battleground states during the 2004 election, with a goal to encourage 18-29 year olds to vote, and the response it received.

Slacker Uprising also features performances by Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam), Roseanne Barr, Tom Morello (of Rage Against The Machine) and more.

Friends,

It's officially September 23rd and my new film, "Slacker Uprising," is now premiering live at SlackerUprising.com! It is available for free as a gift from me to all of you. And you have my permission to share it or show it in any way you see fit.

Watch it all: http://slackeruprising.com/download/...ource=30238192

At that link, there are five ways you can watch it free and without advertising:

1. blip.tv is providing streaming right from slackeruprising.com, free of commercials and advertising.
2. Amazon Video on Demand will provide a higher resolution version of the above stream for people with lots of bandwidth. It will be available in a few hours.
3. iTunes will make it easy for you to download "Slacker Uprising" on your iTunes, iPod, or Apple TV, and view it there or transmit it to your television. This way, the film can be portable as well as for home viewing. This will be available soon.
4. Hypernia is providing bandwidth and servers to host MPEG4 and DivX versions of "Slacker Uprising" online, so you can burn a DVD or download the film to watch on your computer, XBOX, or PS3.
5. Lycos is providing free streaming of the film and an on-demand version.

Stream it, download it, burn it now. It's the first time a major feature-length film is being released for free on the internet. You can be part of this historic moment by logging on now!

Enjoy!!

Michael Moore
[email protected]
MichaelMoore.com
SlackerUprising.com

P.S. Remember, we're doing something that's never been done, so I have no idea how it will all go! Don't give up if it seems to go slow (like with any streaming, give the downloading a head start before you hit play), and don't forget there are two places where you can actually download it to your hard drive and three ways to stream it. You can get to all of them at the link above.

P.P.S. If you're not yet registered to vote, here's a good link: https://www.voteforchange.com/. There's less than two weeks for you to get registered, especially if you have moved since the last time you voted.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 09-23-08 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-23-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's it about?
Old 09-23-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What's it about?
Good question, added a summary from Wikipedia up top. There ya go.
Old 09-23-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't always agree with him or his style of 'documentaries', but there's no doubt they are well done.

I'll watch it. What do I really have to lose?

= J
Old 09-23-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Free? That would imply that one does not value their time.
Old 09-23-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went to his "show" at Key Arena in Seattle that may be in this movie. A friend of mine and I were in the right-hand side 4th row on the aisle. I'm not sure if I'm going to watch this or not. It would be interesting to see how he edits this "movie" to make it look like he was correct. He made quite a few predictions that were far from coming true. The biggest of which, was that if they were able to drum-up a record voter turn-out that the democrats would win (because democrats always win when people show up to vote). That might account for all the illegal voting that took place in Seattle that election.
Old 09-23-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Great, two hours of Michael Moore telling kids that if they don't vote for John Kerry that he'll eat their lunch.
Old 09-23-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Get it...He's a big guy!
Old 09-23-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is cool. I'll give it a go. I don't always like Moore and an easily see why Republicans hate him. I guess he does point his finger at them a lot but then again these are the people that voted for Bush...twice.
Old 09-23-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
^My problem with Moore has nothing to do with which side he votes for (I lean towards democrats as well). I don't even mind that he pushes his ideas on people. What bugs me is that he creates "documentaries" and that he claims to deal with the truth all the while spinning every "fact" in his favor.

With that said, I do like the fact that he's releasing his movie for free. I just doubt that I'll watch it unless I can watch it with people and spark a (friendly) debate with them.
Old 09-23-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From the description, free was pretty much the only option for this one. Who's gonna pay $10 to see Michael Moore talk to kids about last election?
Old 09-24-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I won't watch it for free, but maybe if someone throws me 20 bucks I'll think about it.
Old 09-24-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
^My problem with Moore has nothing to do with which side he votes for (I lean towards democrats as well). I don't even mind that he pushes his ideas on people. What bugs me is that he creates "documentaries" and that he claims to deal with the truth all the while spinning every "fact" in his favor.
With that MO he should have gotten into talk radio or cable news.
Old 09-24-08, 12:55 PM

The thing I try to remember is what I learned the very first day of film class. There is no way for a documentary to be unbiased nor is it supposed to be. Since it is the vision of the director (usually) what you see is always going to be how he sees the truth whether they intended it or not.
Old 09-24-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I watched this last night...it's easily Moore's weakest film (yes, even worse than Canadian Bacon!) - I can see why he went the "free" route with it. It's not so much a movie as it is a highlight reel of the tour he took to college campuses in 2004. I would have felt disappointed had I paid money to see this in a theater. As home viewing, it's okay - but it's a one-viewing kind of movie.
Old 09-24-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
From the description, free was pretty much the only option for this one. Who's gonna pay $10 to see Michael Moore talk to kids about last election?
That's what I was thinking. Does Moore think that just because it's about an "election" that automatically makes it topical?
Old 09-24-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That's what I was thinking. Does Moore think that just because it's about an "election" that automatically makes it topical?
Moore mentions from the get-go in the documentary that this was a failed attempt trying to get the current administration out of office and the only success was Kerry only age group win was the the group the tour was geared to.
Old 09-24-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think ultimately the message is to make sure you and your friend are registered to vote. You've be surprised how many people are not registered to vote.
Old 09-25-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've downloaded it a couple of times, and the first time it was 1:02 and the second time it was 1:08. I did it via bittorrent from the official site. Anyone else having trouble getting the full movie?
Old 09-25-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I've downloaded it a couple of times, and the first time it was 1:02 and the second time it was 1:08. I did it via bittorrent from the official site. Anyone else having trouble getting the full movie?

I just watched the streaming version...I think it's about 100 minutes. I know it was longer than 90.
Old 09-25-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ardathbey
The thing I try to remember is what I learned the very first day of film class. There is no way for a documentary to be unbiased nor is it supposed to be. Since it is the vision of the director (usually) what you see is always going to be how he sees the truth whether they intended it or not.
It's one thing to be biased towards your focial point, that I can understand...it's another to lie or make up "facts" to prove your point. That's where Michael Moore fits.
Old 09-26-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I just watched the streaming version...I think it's about 100 minutes. I know it was longer than 90.
Still no luck for me. I tried streaming it, but it is taking way too long to let it buffer, even after I left in for a couple of hours (could be because I am in Canada). I did a direct download from the page now as well, and that also stops at 1:08. Very odd. Seems like I might be the only one with the problem.
Old 09-26-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can downlaod from itunes but for some reason it isn't on my ipod. It's under a section called "Rented Movies".
Old 09-26-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Yeah, seems like this was unused footage that would have made a good film had Kerry won.
Old 09-26-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieking
No, I downloaded it on iTunes and watched it on an AppleTV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.