Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"only in theaters" why do commercials say this?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-22-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are people that dumb that they are running to blockbuster to rent the newest movie? or has there been a movie that was released in theaters and vhs/dvd at the same time?
Old 09-22-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
are people that dumb that they are running to blockbuster to rent the newest movie? or has there been a movie that was released in theaters and vhs/dvd at the same time?
To answer your first question, yes.

I still remember when I worked at Wal-Mart on the Friday night that Windtalkers came out in theaters and I had a customer ask me if Windtalkers was available on DVD. I looked at her incredulously and told her that the movie had opened that day in theaters and wouldn't be available on DVD for at least 4 months. She walked away and I busted out laughing about 30 seconds after she left.
Old 09-22-08, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post

I still remember when I worked at Wal-Mart on the Friday night that Windtalkers came out in theaters and I had a customer ask me if Windtalkers was available on DVD. I looked at her incredulously and told her that the movie had opened that day in theaters and wouldn't be available on DVD for at least 4 months. She walked away and I busted out laughing about 30 seconds after she left.

Are you sure Windtalkers didn't go straight to DVD? Maybe she knew something you didn't. Talk about bad movies.
Old 09-22-08, 11:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

There are movies released on DVD that was never released in theaters.
Old 09-22-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, they are that dumb. Not everybody follows movies.
Old 09-23-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I worked in a video store for 2 years.

People are more dumb about movies than you could possibly imagine.
Old 09-23-08, 12:07 AM

More than one person came to my store in May 1999 looking for Star Wars - Episode I.
Old 09-23-08, 12:13 AM

It's been years since I've been in a video store, but in the 20 or so years I used them I never had an occasion where I was in one and somebody didn't come in and ask the clerk about some flick that had just come out.
Old 09-23-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah someone came in asking for some Soderbergh indie flick and I was like "Hello!" only in theatres, dickwad!
Old 09-23-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iamiam View Post
See: Seagal, Steven
Old 09-23-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and this Joe Sixpack comes in and asks if the new Claude Chabrol movie, "La Fille coupée en deux," was available on DVD. The cashier politely told him it was in the theaters and the man slinked away into the night.

I however, took the high road and followed him to his car and proceeded to beat him and alternate between rhetorically yelling, "DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT LIMITED THEATRICAL RELEASE MEANS??" and "I BET YOU DON'T EVEN COMPREHEND CHABROL'S MISE EN SCENE!!"

I did some time in county for it, but whatever, I "get" movies, man. This guy didn't.
Old 09-23-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha! This thread is funny considering what I heard just this weekend. I was in Blockbuster Sunday and I overheard an older couple talking about what to rent. Now for some reason the guy had a pic on his cellphone that was from some film. He then told his wife he was going to ask the Bb employee if they knew where the image came from and did that have it.

Sure as shit, the guy told him that the movie "just came out" in the theaters and wasn't on video yet.
Old 09-23-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post

I've had that happen all the time, having worked at Best Buy and Blockbuster. The best it when they start arguing about whether a movie is out or not.
Old 09-23-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was in high school they they re-released Grease for a few weeks in theatres to celebrate some anniversary or another. The commercials said "Only in Theaters Friday (fill in date)" and they usually do, meaning it OPENS in theatres that day. Kids at school interpretted this to mean it was only in theatre for JUST THAT DAY. I adimately tried to tell them that no movie would open in tons of theaters for just one day, you couldn't recoup costs, and that's stupid (I didn't even get into the fact that they all wanted to see Grease), they all skipped school, because you know, the movie was only in theatres for one day, and all got suspended.
Old 09-23-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
It shouldn't be surprising.

Considering the way Hollywood bombards us with advertising months in advance, that people have these things on the brain. Add in flexible theater-to-DVD windows (now anywhere from about two to six months) and the fact that most people aren't going to remember what the opening date is, and it's easy to see how people could get confused.

It's probably especially strange to people like us who closely follow movies, opening dates, street dates, announcements, rumors, and pre-orders. The average person just isn't going to put that much effort into these things like we are.
Old 09-23-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

are people that dumb that they are running to blockbuster to rent the newest movie?
Yes

And after that, the next ad is "Now on dvd".

Marketing leads the lemmings and many people blindly stumble through their pointless lives.
Old 09-23-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
People are just stupid as others have said. I worked at Walmart also, and people would just see the commercial, and come in to buy the movie. Nothing tops the woman looking for PS3 games, before the 360 had even been released, but thats another thread
Old 09-23-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

are people that dumb that they are running to blockbuster to rent the newest movie? ....
Since so many of the new movies advertised on TV look like movies we've seen before, it's no wonder some people get confused!
Old 09-23-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I worked in a video store for 2 years.

People are more dumb about movies than you could possibly imagine.
Worked in a video store during college. Would constantly get calls for movies that were just released in theaters.
Old 09-23-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Working at blockbuster many years ago...

Yes. People are really that dumb. Many would argue in telling me I was completely wrong and that it came out and that they were right...
Old 09-23-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes. I worked at Blockbuster in college. We always had people coming in and asking for movies that just opened in the theaters.
Old 09-23-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I managed a Blockbuster last year. You wouldn't believe how many people asked for movies that just came out in theaters.
Old 09-23-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by iamiam View Post
yeah i know that.
Old 09-23-08, 10:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Since so many of the new movies advertised on TV look like movies we've seen before, it's no wonder some people get confused!
My boss does this all the time We saw this already No sweetie, we've been watching the previews for the last three month. This just came out on DVD today.
Old 09-23-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do you think movies like Snakes on a Train...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSDo-lgBBvs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSDo-lgBBvs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

... and Alien vs. Hunter...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNYxHk2mlCk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNYxHk2mlCk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...and Transmorphers...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2-6XdiR1iI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2-6XdiR1iI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...get made?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.