Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"This film contains depictions of tobacco consumption"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"This film contains depictions of tobacco consumption"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I read this post, I was unaware that the trailer was 2:26 in length. I thought sometime during like, the middle of the trailer, somewhere actually intrusive to the image, this message would appear. Since neither of these things are true, who cares?

I'll agree that maybe it's unnecessary -- I thought we were putting it in the ratings descriptors, like Rated PG-13 for violence, sexuality and smoking, I've seen that on a few movies -- but it was in the damn billing block. On that particular YouTube video I couldn't even read it, and I doubt had I seen the trailer in the theater, I'd have even noticed it.
Old 10-03-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
<snip>
For the rest of you - not that big a deal. I'd much rather them do that than alter the rating because of it. Otherwise (as others have said), they would no longer be able to depict pre-70s life as it actually existed.
<snip>
-Doc
Hey I wasn't being sarcastic! I loathe smokers. Go figure & "you deal with it"
Yeah pre-70's or so movies are not the issue; it's the 90's plus movies that torque me. Ex. My Best Friend's Wedding w/ Julia Roberts, movie merit aside, when Julia's character stressed out about her best friend getting married, what did the writers have her do? Go out in the hallway and smoke furiously.
Such a great scene. {sarcasm, finally!}
Old 10-03-08, 03:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, you can credit and thank the MPAA for this. i freelance at the trailer house that cut this one. the studio (our client) was given a choice to have this preview approved for all audiences (green band, as opposed to red band), either lose the shot of the bald guy smoking, or add the disclaimer.
Old 10-03-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by JANK
Yeah pre-70's or so movies are not the issue; it's the 90's plus movies that torque me. Ex. My Best Friend's Wedding w/ Julia Roberts, movie merit aside, when Julia's character stressed out about her best friend getting married, what did the writers have her do? Go out in the hallway and smoke furiously.
Curious: do you get this worked up when you watch scenes of people beating or killing each other, and if so do you wish to see them removed from movies?

In real life, I'd much rather witness someone smoking a cigarette "furiously" in the "hallway", rather than watch the same person gut another other from head to anus with a boat-hook...
Old 10-03-08, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
In real life, I'd much rather witness someone smoking a cigarette "furiously" in the "hallway", rather than watch the same person gut another other from head to anus with a boat-hook...
Let's be serious and not compare smoking in movies to killings as a criteria. My focus is on mainstream family movies that show gratuitous smoking For No Good Reason.
Old 10-03-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
we watched Baby Mama last weekend and noticed the ratings screen said it had a "Drug Reference" - so we paid attention to see what warranted such a warning...it was Amy Poehler asking "what's the street name of this stuff" after given a sedative in the hospital

in other words, the MPAA is a puritanical group of insane people who must protect the children!
Old 10-03-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
yes..because it was so unrealistic to show an adult having a smoke during a time of stress - because that never happens.

would have been much better to have her sit down and take her bible out to gain comfort from the lord.
Old 10-03-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Let's be serious and not compare smoking in movies to killings as a criteria. My focus is on mainstream family movies that show gratuitous smoking For No Good Reason.
Granted, I haven't been following this thoroughly retarded subject for that long, but (a) I am being serious, and (b) I saw no mention of "mainstream family movies". If you look to movies to promote safe "family values" (or whatever the hell you want to call it) you're in for a rude awakening.

Are you OK with smoking in non-"mainstream family movies" or does it irk you to the point of self-righteous indignation as well ("ALL SMOKERS ARE DEGENERATE UNRELATABLE ADDICTED LOWLIFEES!!")? And again, do you get this worked about Violence? Sex? Crochet? What else do you want to protect the children from?
Old 10-03-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
yes..because it was so unrealistic to show an adult having a smoke during a time of stress - because that never happens.

would have been much better to have her sit down and take her bible out to gain comfort from the lord.
Yeah, first thing I thought. In many cases it makes perfect sense for characters to smoke, whether by character or because of certain situations since it's an accurate depiction of real life. That's hardly "no good reason."
Old 10-09-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Are the studios going to go back and apply this warning retroactively to every single film made during the 1930s - 1950s?
I could see them (or someone like Ted Turner) going one step worse a la Thank You For Smoking:

Spielberg and his walkie talkies were just the beginning.
Old 10-10-08, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The counterargument is that just because people smoke in real life doesn't mean it has to be included in a movie. I'm anti-smoking, and I dislike seeing people light up, just like in reality. Some people smoke during times of stress, but I don't. Admittedly there is a line at which it becomes unrealistic, but my point is, for instance, if Julia Roberts had NOT gone out and smoked, that doesn't take you out of the movie somehow. It's not like the lack of smoking in normal situations is somehow unrealistic or jarring. I'm not puritanical and I have no religious, political or other nutty reasoning for disliking smoking, but it also would distance me from a character to see them smoke.

My feeling is that if the sequence could go either way, I personally would prefer there not to be smoking in a movie. I don't need it to be erased from classic films, but there are just characters who, based on the world they're placed in, would and should smoke, and characters that only could smoke, like the Julia Roberts character, and I don't feel it's necessary to have the latter characters smoke.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 10-10-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The counterargument is that just because people smoke in real life doesn't mean it has to be included in a movie. I'm anti-smoking, and I dislike seeing people light up, just like in reality. Some people smoke during times of stress, but I don't. Admittedly there is a line at which it becomes unrealistic, but my point is, for instance, if Julia Roberts had NOT gone out and smoked, that doesn't take you out of the movie somehow. It's not like the lack of smoking in normal situations is somehow unrealistic or jarring. I'm not puritanical and I have no religious, political or other nutty reasoning for disliking smoking, but it also would distance me from a character to see them smoke.

My feeling is that if the sequence could go either way, I personally would prefer there not to be smoking in a movie. I don't need it to be erased from classic films, but there are just characters who, based on the world they're placed in, would and should smoke, and characters that only could smoke, like the Julia Roberts character, and I don't feel it's necessary to have the latter characters smoke.
I think we are in agreement and the only point I want to stress is that I strongly feel (as in the Julia Roberts flic) that it seemed totally out of character for her to display her hissy fit by heavily smoking out in the hallway.
Characters lighting up for no good reason or just out of the blue just irk me and distract me from the movie.
Old 10-10-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we are in agreement and the only point I want to stress is that I strongly feel (as in the Julia Roberts flic) that it seemed totally out of character for her to display her hissy fit by heavily smoking out in the hallway.
Characters lighting up for no good reason or just out of the blue just irk me and distract me from the movie.
Originally Posted by droidguy1119

People the world over have always smoked, are smoking now and will always smoke something. Movies reflect that. I bet you think there will be a bright future where everyone is only allowed to think like you.
Old 10-11-08, 05:01 PM

Well, everybody wants to rule the world.