Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The $10,000 Netflix Movie Watching World Championship

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-16-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From slashfilm:
Netflix wants someone to break the movie watching world championship, and they’re willing to $10,000 to do so. Netflix Movie Watching World Championship: The Quest for the Popcorn Bowl will begin on October 2nd in a plexi-glass living room in the center New York City’s Times Square on October 2nd at 10:30am, and is expected to last until a new Guinness World Record, for most consecutive hours spent watching movies, is set five days later on October 7th.

Guinness World Records rules require the contestants to watch films non-stop without averting their eyes from the screen. Competitors will be given 10 minutes between each movie, or approximately every two hours, to refresh themselves. Eating, drinking, standing and stretching are allowed as long as eyes are on the screen.

The record to beat for watching a continuous run of movies is 120 hours and 23 minutes held by Ashish Sharma of Mathura, India. The competitors include:

* Mr. Sharma, the current world record holder.
* Former three-time movie marathon record holder Claudia Wavra of Germany who will attempt to reclaim the title she lost to Mr. Sharma in June.
* Suresh Joachim, a Canadian of Sri Lankan descent, who holds 32 Guinness World Records. Mr. Joachim is an endurance champion whose records include television viewing (69 hours, 48 minutes), dancing (100 hours), radio dj-ing (120 hours), and ironing (55 hours, 5 minutes), among other disciplines.
* Cheryl Jones of Portland, Ore. who was a part of the team of Netflix members who broke the Guinness World Record for continuous movie watching in 2003.
* Dallas movie buff Jeff Jones who won $250,000 on the movie edition of the popular game show series “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” in 2007.

New York-based competitive eating champion, Crazy Legs Conti, who also happens to be a cinephile with a penchant for ‘80s films, will join the ranks of endurance enthusiasts for a shot at the title.
So. anyone from DVDTalk going to throw their hat in the ring? Mister Peepers?
Old 09-16-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a blast.
Old 09-16-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't believe that not only is there a man who actually irons, he holds the Guinness World Record for doing so.
Old 09-16-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I just can't believe that not only is there a man who actually irons, he holds the Guinness World Record for doing so.
I actually love to iron my clothes, but not for 55 hours...

This competition is definitely not for me, though. These days I can only make it about an hour into something before I find myself having to go do something else for a while before coming back to the movie -- sometimes later that evening, sometimes not for days.
Old 09-16-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would actually love to do this, but, quite frankly, do not feel like making a three-minute video detailing why I would make a good candidate.

I love movies. Period. If you need more than that from me, well... I'm too damned lazy to do it.
Old 09-17-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No thanks. I love movies but to watch them 5 days straight with no sleep? Forget it.
Old 09-17-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
No thanks. I love movies but to watch them 5 days straight with no sleep? Forget it.
Agreed. Goddamn these world records are reaching all-time lows. Donate that freakin' money to charity.
Old 09-17-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well good luck to them on that. I agree on the loving movies but would not be able to make it for over 5 days straight.
Old 09-17-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't last a day. I love watching movies as much as anyone else, but no way I could last over 5 days. I need my sleep in a bad way.
Old 09-17-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You can't advert your eyes...not even for a second or two? I doubt I've ever seen ONE film where I didn't glance off-screen at some point.
Old 09-17-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well maybe it's a really big screen and even if you avert your eyes you're just looking at a different part?
Old 09-17-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd do it. I have nothing better to do with my time.. but that 3-minute video...
Old 09-17-08, 03:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I call BS. There is not 5 days of movies worth watching let alone 5 movies. These participants must be masters of self-hypnosis.
Old 09-17-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Mister Peepers?
The only way I would do it is if I knew I could get in and then managed to do it for at least a few days at home. I don't think I could even stare at a screen for 24 hours unless I got really lucky and picked the right movies but that's a big if.

I wonder what they have to watch?

edit: They used to have a competition over here once a year where people had to stay in a PT Cruiser. Whoever did it the longest, won it. The first year it was around a week or so. The second year there were a couple of people that went a long time which ruined the third year where they started making people do stupid stunts and eliminating them that way.

My strategy was to bring a ton of sleeping pills and just sleep most of the time. I'd bring a laptop or something loaded with movies for when I was awake.

They also had a boat contest where you just had to keep your hand on it the longest. My strategy for that was to wear some jogging shorts, no underwear, eat a ton of spicy food before, and just shit and piss myself like crazy and stand next to them to get most, if not all, of the other contestants to quit.

I wouldn't touch them as I'm sure that would be against the rules but I'd try to make as many large puddles of fluids as I could.

They stopped that contest also.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 09-17-08 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a list of movies they are going to watch, or do they get to watch whatever they want?
Old 09-17-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
You can't advert your eyes...not even for a second or two?
Old 09-17-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Is there a list of movies they are going to watch, or do they get to watch whatever they want?
I suppose if I was going to do it, I would pick the entire series of The Sopranos, and then wash it down with my favorite movies of all time, keeping a good mix of comedy, horror, drama, and action to keep me interested.
Old 09-18-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd fall asleep.
Old 09-18-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I'd fall asleep.
I once did a movie marathon. I watched movie non stop for 24 hours. By the last movie i could barely stay awake. The only way i could do a 5 day one would have to involve lots of caffine pills. But is that against the rules?
Old 09-19-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I once did a movie marathon. I watched movie non stop for 24 hours. By the last movie i could barely stay awake. The only way i could do a 5 day one would have to involve lots of cocaine. But is that against the rules?
Fixed. No way I could do 5 days. I don't know how some people can even do one!
Old 09-19-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
You can't advert your eyes...not even for a second or two? I doubt I've ever seen ONE film where I didn't glance off-screen at some point.
That sounds to me like the hardest part, even moreso than staying awake. How can you not glance away from time to time?

Then again, I pass out in front of the TV almost every night so I wouldn't last very long.
Old 09-19-08, 01:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I wonder if they do drug tests. you just know there will be people who will try.
Old 09-19-08, 07:51 PM

So anybody can try out?
Old 09-20-08, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was in a 36-hour marathon once. I made it all the way to the end and won some nice prizes but it was torture. Keeping your eye on the screen is pretty easy but if you nod off, you lose. I can't imagine how to stay awake for 5 days but for me, I knew when I needed a cup of coffee.
Old 09-20-08, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can't even glance away from the screen for a few seconds?