Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Coraline (Selick, 2009): Stop-motion 3D based on Neil Gaiman's novel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Coraline (Selick, 2009): Stop-motion 3D based on Neil Gaiman's novel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Coraline (Selick, 2009): Stop-motion 3D based on Neil Gaiman's novel

Caught the 3-D version of this with the kids yesterday, and absolutely loved it. Great job by the director, animators, writers, and voice-actors.
Old 02-22-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I might see it next weekend. I heard this weekend was the last weekend it would be in 3D. Is that true? And is it kid ok? Like for a 4 year old?
Old 02-22-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just my opinion, but 4 may be a little too young for this film. Although when I saw it last weekend, I did see kids of that age in the theater, and I did not notice any of the parents having to take them out, during the last 1/3 of the movie.
Old 02-22-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I might see it next weekend. I heard this weekend was the last weekend it would be in 3D. Is that true? And is it kid ok? Like for a 4 year old?
I'd say four is too young. The scene in which the Other Mother turns into a massive, skeletal figure would be pretty scary for a kid that age.
Old 02-22-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'd say four is too young. The scene in which the Other Mother turns into a massive, skeletal figure would be pretty scary for a kid that age.
Yeah well in that case I might just weight to see it on Blu Ray. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah well in that case I might just weight to see it on Blu Ray. Thanks for the help.
If you can get a babysitter, I'd definitely recommend seeing the film in the theater and in 3-D. Several scenes are quite striking with the 3-D effect.
Old 02-22-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If you can get a babysitter, I'd definitely recommend seeing the film in the theater and in 3-D. Several scenes are quite striking with the 3-D effect.
Oh no, he's not my son. He's my Nephew and he doesn't get to go to the movies a lot and he seem's to like animated TV shows. I figured i'd take him off my brother's hands for a night. And it looks as though this is the last week to see it in 3D so I missed my chance.
Old 02-23-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

We went to see Coraline in 3-D last night.
Wow! I can't recommend this experience enough. The technology is seemingly flawless.

I was a huge fan of Gaiman's book, and even with the story changes it was probably one of the most enjoyable times I've had in a theater in years.
Old 02-24-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And it looks as though this is the last week to see it in 3D so I missed my chance.
Fuckin' Jonas Brothers!
Old 02-24-09, 08:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ yes because of those twits 3D concert movie - I went and saw Coraline for a second time before it left - liked it even more the second time.
Old 02-25-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Luckily there are enough Real D screens in Las Vegas that CORALINE will continue to be shown in 3-D along side the Jonases. I wanted to check it out again but won't be able to for a few days.
Old 02-25-09, 02:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

interestingly, because Regal Fairfax Town Center is so close to Cinema De Lux, Coraline 3D will continue at the Cinema on both it's 3D screens. However one of the screens didn't impress in the slightest because for reasons unknown to me, the 3D imagery was lacklustre at best for Bolt - the DLP's brightness I think is set too low, resulting in the image being more dark when you watch the movie with the 3D glasses.
Old 03-10-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in the 3-D is taking over thread...

Since the Jonas Brothers couldn't stop sucking and lost 80% of it's audience in the course of it's second weekend, Coraline will be re-appearing in a good majority of 3D theaters this weekend.

I highly recommend it if you haven't checked out the film yet to do so in 3D.
Old 03-10-09, 06:06 PM

This movie didn't really ever catch my eye or generate a huge buzz in my opinion, but a friend of mine saw it and said it was really good. He said he was impressed with the story and animation, so I might rent it once it comes out on DVD.
Old 03-10-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fernsita
This movie didn't really ever catch my eye or generate a huge buzz in my opinion, but a friend of mine saw it and said it was really good. He said he was impressed with the story and animation, so I might rent it once it comes out on DVD.
You owe it to yourself to experience it on the big screen and in 3-D. I can't imagine a home viewing being in any way comparable. That's wonderful news about the Jonas Brothers' bombing, this film deserves each and every one of it's box office dollars.
Old 05-24-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because I don't want to start a new thread, I'd like to mention I saw the musical adaptation in New York on Friday. It was excellent and I recommend fans of the book and film to see it (it's closer to the book than the film, takes place in England). On an extra cool note the man behind the music (as well as The Magnetic Fields) Stephin Merritt was in the audience. A bit surreal seeing it with him in attendance.

If you hate musicals (I mostly do myself), that shouldn't scare you off, it works very well. And Stephin Merritt's style works perfectly with the story. He took a lot of influence from John Cage, with prepared pianos and toy pianos. And everyone is really good in it (despite weird casting choices, a middle-aged woman as Coraline and a man as Other Mother, it works)
Old 07-22-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Picked this up yesterday, and watched it tonight. Pretty good little story! Definitely reminded me of a Burton-esque Spirited Away. I watched the 3D version on the disc first, since I wasn't sure if I would like it enough for an immediate repeat viewing. The 3D was pretty good, but a little inconsistent. Sometimes it was really clear, sometimes blurry (and yes, I did use the 3D glasses that were included), but overall I thought they did a great job with the 3D.
Old 06-27-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I watched this for the first time this weekend. I liked it quite a bit. I thought the story was good, if a bit derivative at times, but enjoyable enough.

The animation is what really blew me away. I thought it was a tremendous achievement. The quality and the creativity were amazing. There were times I had to remind myself that what I was seeing was practical animation and not CGI.

I couldn't stand to watch the red/blue 3D, but I'll definitely have to get this on Blu 3D someday.

I've never had any interest in James and the Giant Peach, but maybe I'll have to go watch it. I'm also interested to see what Selick comes up with at Pixar now.
Old 06-27-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'James and the Giant Peach' is absolutely fantastic.