Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Just Happened? (Levinson, 2008): De Niro, Sean Penn comedy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-11-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Just Happened? is a winningly sharp comedy about two nail-biting, back-stabbing, roller-coaster weeks in the world of a middle-aged Hollywood producer -- as he tries to juggle an actual life with an outrageous series of crises in his day job. Academy AwardŽ winning director Barry Levinson reunites with Academy Award winning actor Robert De Niro and leading producer Art Linson, who wrote the screenplay based on his bestselling memoir. They all join with an all-star cast in this rollicking, shrewd tale of a man besieged by people who want him all to be sorts of things -- a money maker, an ego buster, a bad news breaker, an artistic champion, a loyal husband, an all-knowing father, not to mention sexy, youthful and tuned-in – everything except for the one thing he and all the preposterously behaved people he’s surrounded by really are: bumbling human beings just trying to survive by any means necessary.
Trailer

Official site

Quite the cast in this one.

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-11-08 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-11-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't Bruce Willis the 2nd star in this movie? I saw the trailer over the weekend but all I remembered was DeNiro and Willis. Looks surprisingly funny.
Old 09-11-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Isn't Bruce Willis the 2nd star in this movie? I saw the trailer over the weekend but all I remembered was DeNiro and Willis. Looks surprisingly funny.
Yeah, looks like it's the De Niro/Willis show, Sean Penn was barely in the trailer. I posted the thread title before watching it.
Old 03-02-09, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: What Just Happened? (Levinson, 2008): De Niro, Sean Penn comedy

I was surprised there was only 2 replies to this thread with a movie with De Niro, Penn, and directed by Barry Levinson.

I rented it and it had a couple of good laughs.

De Niro is in almost every scene and Penn does not have a lot of screen time though he is central to the plot of the movie.

Bruce Willis the same thing but not a lot of screen time.

It is De Niros movie and Catherine Keener has a big role.
Old 03-02-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I enjoyed it. I read the book a couple years back so it was funny to see Bruce Willis act like Alec Baldwin from The Edge (Alec didn't want to shave his beard neither).

Not laugh out loud funny, but it was good for a few laughs, and the performances were great.
Old 03-02-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought it was okay, a few good laughs. If you get a chance read the book, its got some great behind the scenes stories from the industry.
Old 03-02-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The movie started off great, but then just petered out. And the scene where Willis had a meltdown in the dressing room was absolutely horrible. Just painful to watch. He overacted and the damn scene just went on for-fucking-ever.