DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Dark Knight to be re-released in January (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/539466-dark-knight-re-released-january.html)

PopcornTreeCt 09-11-08 11:38 AM

The Dark Knight to be re-released in January

"Dark Knight" plans re-release for Oscar push
Thursday September 11 11:35 AM ET

Batman wants an Oscar. To be precise, Warner Bros. wants a statuette -- or 10 -- for "The Dark Knight." So the studio plans to re-release its blockbuster Batman sequel in January, the height of Academy Awards voting season.

"It's just a matter of bringing it back as a reminder for people," a studio insider explained.

Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Dan Fellman acknowledged ongoing talks with Imax execs over the prospect of restoring the Christian Bale starrer to some giant-screen venues in January. It's uncertain if "Dark Knight" also will reappear in conventional venues at that point.

Directed by Christopher Nolan, the film's huge commercial and critical success has spurred talk of possible Oscar nominations for its director, producers and cast -- most specifically Bale's co-star, Health Ledger, for the late actor's edgy performance as the Joker.

To date, "Dark Knight" has rung up about $512 million domestically and $440 million internationally, including more than $55 million in Imax grosses. A pre-Oscars re-release would help assure its topping $1 billion worldwide.

But with the title set to hit DVD in December, it's now apparent anyone hoping the Batman sequel would soar to "Titanic" heights will be disappointed. "Dark Knight" already ranks as the second-highest-grossing movie ever, after "Titanic's" phenomenal $1.84 billion -- a mix of $600.8 million in domestic box office and $1.24 billion in foreign coin registered in 1997 and 1998.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

+++

Told you so, haters!

Goat3001 09-11-08 12:09 PM

Cool. I hope to catch it in IMAX if they release it there too. If not, I'll pass on seeing it in theaters again. By then I'll have my Blu-Ray anyway.

So does anyone think that the rerelease will let it reach Titanic numbers?

mdc3000 09-11-08 12:40 PM

You were right, I was wrong! (on the re-release part, but not on this being the reason they moved Harry Potter) ;)

this re-release won't do a whole lot for the box office because 90% of people will own it by then and won't feel the need to see it on the big screen again IMO.

NiCK Crush 09-11-08 12:48 PM

I support this 100%. Whether the film deserves best picture, is still up in the air being so early in the year... but TDK without a doubt deserves some recognition from the Academy.

OldBoy 09-11-08 12:49 PM

this was to be expected.

sauce07 09-11-08 01:04 PM

pointless

Mr. Cinema 09-11-08 01:14 PM

I love the flimsy reason of bringing it back as "a reminder to everyone". I'm sure people will not forget TDK, especially after the dvd sells a gazillion copies in mid December. I doubt this re-release will be on 9,000 screens either.

Matthew Chmiel 09-11-08 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 8932544)
I love the flimsy reason of bringing it back as "a reminder to everyone". I'm sure people will not forget TDK, especially after the dvd sells a gazillion copies in mid December. I doubt this re-release will be on 9,000 screens either.

The article specifically mentions IMAX screens only for the time being, which in January, could be anywhere from a handful to 100.

If Warner does go the route of a full blown theatrical re-release, I can't see it being on more than a few hundred screens.

mhg83 09-11-08 02:45 PM

but i thought a movie has to be released in this year to get nominated? Why not december?

Matthew Ackerly 09-11-08 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 8932748)
but i thought a movie has to be released in this year to get nominated? Why not december?

You're joking, right?

It was released in July of this year.

This is a re-release.

Maxflier 09-11-08 03:06 PM

Great, so if it does surpass Titanic it will have an asteric.

GuessWho 09-11-08 03:22 PM

Does Star Wars have an asterisk? That had several re-releases and I believe its box office is cumulative.

Maxflier 09-11-08 04:22 PM

The box office is cumulative, but Star Wars does have an asterick (well technically it has one of these thingies ^) on Box Office Mojo.

bboisvert 09-11-08 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 8932794)
Great, so if it does surpass Titanic it will have an asteric.

I don't see why it would need one. July 2008 dollars aren't going to be different than January 2009 dollars. Hell, it will probably still be playing in a few dozen theaters in December. I think technically, this will have never left release, just gotten a larger push from the studio in Jan.

eedoon 09-12-08 05:51 AM

This is weird... in some news I read that Warner are going to postpone the DVD & BD release of the movie. If this is true, then it's going to be suck big time

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_The_D...ile_24119.html

Admit it, you missed it! Whether it was Christian Bale’s dark, brooding demeanor and grave yet not-too-stereotypical voice that titillated your ocelot, or whether Heath Ledger’s role as a blood-thirsty homicidal sociopath reminded you that you can’t have slaughter without laughter, this is going to put a smile on your face:

This January, Warner Bros are re-releasing this July’s block-buster movie “The Dark Knight” in giant-screen venues (it remains to be seen if in smaller ones as well), just in time for the Academy Awards on the 22nd, which incidentally is also the anniversary of Heath Ledger’s demise.

But really now, why so serious about that? Bale’s and especially Ledger’s critically hailed and fan-praised performance is going to hit the screens once more in the hopes of not only refreshing Oscar voters’ memories about the grim hero (and anti-hero)’s story, but also in the hopes of scaring up enough cash to increase the $952 million total revenue, not just past the $1 billion mark, but perhaps even catch the massive $1.84 billion grossed by Titanic, the only movie The Dark Knight is second to in terms of total sales.

The bad news about this release is that it also means that The Dark Knight DVD will probably be delayed so as not to decrease sales from the theatres, unlike the two other big comic books films of the summer: Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk whose DVDs are coming out this October. Although, even if you’re a home movie enthusiast, there’s no need to worry, we’re sure that Warner will find a way to put a smile on your face!

Supermallet 09-12-08 06:45 AM

That would suck, and I don't think WB would want to lose holiday sales. TDK on DVD and BD would be a HUGE seller.

Michael Corvin 09-12-08 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 8932946)
The box office is cumulative, but Star Wars does have an asterick (well technically it has one of these thingies ^) on Box Office Mojo.

It probably has to do with the SE. I think prior to that there was no issue with re-releases of the same film multiple times, but since the SE was different and marketed as such, asterik.

That's just a guess though.

RayChuang 09-12-08 08:00 AM

I think right about the times AMPAS sends out its nomination ballots (early-mid January 2009), Warner Home Video will start sending out not the special Academy screener DVD's, but the home video version DVD's to AMPAS members (circa 6,000 copies is drop in the bucket considering the many millions of copies to be produced for home video). In short, we'll see the official home video release either on January 6 or 13, 2009.

RichC2 09-12-08 08:13 AM

I don't see Warner ignoring the Christmas shopping season in a bid for oscar glory with The Dark Knight. I think the originally rumored date of around December 9th, 2008 for the home video release will stand. Unless by "we" you mean AMPAS members, of which I don't know any.

Seeing as how this is planned for IMAX screens, I see this being moderately successful, every weekend show for 4 weeks was sold out at our local IMAX and that's when they pulled the movie.

Maxflier 09-12-08 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 8934020)
It probably has to do with the SE. I think prior to that there was no issue with re-releases of the same film multiple times, but since the SE was different and marketed as such, asterik.

That's just a guess though.

It states on the site that "^ Indicates movie made its gross over multiple releases".

Tarantino 09-12-08 10:29 AM

OH NOES, a movie stat has an asterisk next to it!

Is it really that important?

= J

islandclaws 09-12-08 10:47 AM

No big surprise there. I still haven't seen the film in IMAX, so unless I go sometime soon I'll more than likely wait until Jan.

Maxflier 09-12-08 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 8934463)
OH NOES, a movie stat has an asterisk next to it!

Is it really that important?

= J

I know you're just trying to be a wiseass but to me yes, it is.
As someone who would have loved to see TDK overtake Titanic, it would lessen the achievement for it to do it with 2 theatrical releases IMO.

RichC2 09-12-08 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 8934562)
I know you're just trying to be a wiseass but to me yes, it is.
As someone who would have loved to see TDK overtake Titanic, it would lessen the achievement for it to do it with 2 theatrical releases IMO.

Does it count if the movie is still in theaters when its re-released? Oh and even with a re-release, it isn't going to beat Titanic. Just won't happen. But in all reality, movie is at over $500m domestic and nearly $1b worldwide, there is no disappointment to be found. I just hope the filmmakers had a kickass contract with profit points.

Maxflier 09-12-08 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 8934711)
Oh and even with a re-release, it isn't going to beat Titanic. Just won't happen.

Yeah, I guess you're right. If the re-release is going to be limited to IMAX showings then there is no way it will make up the ~70 mill or so it would need.