Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why can't hollywood adjust and film all movies in 16:9?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-10-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know much about film aspect ratios but why can't hollywood shoot all of their movies in 16:9 and make it the standard format so that consumers don't have to see black bars on the top and bottom of their widescreen tvs?

I thought a widescreen tv would eliminate the black bars.

is this Hollywoods way of trying to get more people to watch in the theater so they don't want to film movies where the picture will not fill up the entire tv screen?

some tvs have the option to shrink or stretch the screen but that ruins the look of the movie.
Old 09-10-08, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
is this Hollywoods way of trying to get more people to watch in the theater so they don't want to film movies where the picture will not fill up the entire tv screen?
Yes.
Old 09-10-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regardless of what you think is correct, directors seem to be in charge of what film they use for the most part (unless the budget is really tight and it has to be shot on particular way).

Personally, I can't possibly fathom Lawrence of Arabia being show on anything other than 70mm. And to present that correctly on a 16:9 display you're going to have to have black bars.

My point is there is no clear cut film spec that should be "forced" onto any film. While HDTVs are replacing the standard screen size (which was created to match 35mm BTW), the only format that will likely not be used anymore will be fullframe 35mm prints. In truth the only reason things seem to get shot that way anymore was for home video release, matted down in the theater (I think Apollo 13 was done that way?).
Old 09-10-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, that was a ridiculous thing to think. Did you think that every movie ever made had the same widescreen ratio? The tv just shows the movie. It's not the movie's job to fit to your tv. Did you used to complain about movies being rectangular when you had a 4x3 tv?

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 09-10-08 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know much about film aspect ratios but why can't hollywood shoot all of their movies in 16:9 and make it the standard format so that consumers don't have to see black bars on the top and bottom of their widescreen tvs?

some tvs have the option to shrink or stretch the screen but that ruins the look of the movie.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 09-10-08 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, the answer to your question is that films are not shot to be shown on widescreen TVs. They're shot to be shown in movie theaters. Furthermore, film is an artistic medium and framing is part of the artistic expression of the director and the DP.

An analogous question to yours would be, why don't all painters use the same shape and size of canvas? It sure would make it easier for all those framers out there, but that's just not a significant consideration for the artist.
Old 09-10-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Joe Wide Pack
Old 09-10-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It defeats the purpose of owning a widescreen tv (good for sports and some HD shows) unless they plan on making a tv in the future that can adapt to cinema ratios.
Old 09-10-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It defeats the purpose of owning a widescreen tv (good for sports and some HD shows) unless they plan on making a tv in the future that can adapt to cinema ratios.
wait wait wait.... does every dvd you play have black bars on top and bottom?? if so then we have a problem.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 09-10-08 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why can't they just make a TV that automatically morphs into the aspect ratio of the movie/tv show/source?
Old 09-10-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by modfather View Post
Why can't they just make a TV that automatically morphs into the aspect ratio of the movie/tv show/source?
The sad thing is that there are people out there that would gladly pay thousands for such a feature, rather than simply accept small black bands on the top or side of the picture.

I don't get it.
Old 09-10-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by modfather View Post
I know, right?

If I was a filmmaker I'd film everything at 2.35:01
Old 09-10-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are these "black bars" you are talking about?

Oh, you mean where there is no picture? Well, there's no picture on the TV bezel either. Stupid bezel is making bars around my picture. When are they going to make a TV without edges around it?
Old 09-10-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they could market 2-packs of TVs to consumers. One for films with a 1.85:1 ratio and another for 2.35:1 films. Then we'd never have to see black bars!

Personally, I'm all for maintaining artistic integrity. If Sergio Leone or John Carpenter had shot their films at 1.85:1 they wouldn't seem nearly as epic with such a tight frame. Hell, THOUSANDS of films would lose some of their impact just by changing the aspect ratio. Sadly, consumers like you are exactly the reason why some studios tamper with the OAR on DVD and expand it to fill a widescreen set. I'm looking at you, Lionsgate!
Old 09-10-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post

If I was a filmmaker I'd film everything at 2.35:01
Lightweight. 3:1 Cinerama or nothing.
Old 09-10-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you wish all painters used the exact same size canvas so there could be one standard size of frame?
Old 09-10-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like black bars. Makes me feel like I'm in the theater for some reason.
Old 09-10-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think 2:35 tv sets would be cool. Side bars for 1:85 films.
Old 09-10-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

16x9 only would be a disservice to the few filmmakers who insist on sticking with high-quality Panavision such as Paul Thomas Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson. As well as Pixar's adoption of "PixarVision" widescreen.

Personaly, I wish all aspect ratios were viable. 1.33:1, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1 are all great for shooting. It's fine for paintings... DaVinci's works are in a wide array of shapes.

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 09-10-08 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, a lot of the posts here reek of snobbery It's a wonder the average joe learns this stuff at all.
Old 09-10-08, 08:28 PM

There are worse states of mind than snobbery.

Indignant foolishness is one.
Old 09-10-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know much about film aspect ratios
I don't know why this thread didn't stop there. A little research before posting can save you a lot of ridicule afterwards.
Old 09-10-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by AGameWithStones View Post
There are worse states of mind than snobbery.

Indignant foolishness is one.
Surely you're not calling the original poster indignant and foolish, are you? Not knowing the details behind aspect ratio and average consumer reaction to black bars is pretty typical, and if the AV, Home Theater, and DVD enthusiasts would rather ridicule rather then inform then the problem just continues.

It would be pretty sad if the majority of responses to questions in Tech Talk or computer questions in general were "DUH, LOOK IT UP YOURSELF." Just sayin
Old 09-10-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Not knowing the details behind aspect ratio and average consumer reaction to black bars is pretty typical, and if the AV, Home Theater, and DVD enthusiasts would rather ridicule rather then inform then the problem just continues.

It would be pretty sad if the majority of responses to questions in Tech Talk or computer questions in general were "DUH, LOOK IT UP YOURSELF." Just sayin
Old 09-10-08, 09:27 PM

I find most people simply do not understand, nor care to understand, the complexity of OAR. And it IS complex to the average person who just wants to enjoy a movie on their new widescreen TV. There is a misperception that widescreen TVs will eliminate those 'ugly black bars.' Now I understand OAR and will only buy DVDs in OAR, but I also have an 8 year old daughter that always tells me "No dad. I want the picture to fill up the WHOLE Screen.. Can't you stretch it or something to do that?" When she smiles at me, the whole OAR anal thing just goes out the window. Movie stretches and she's happy.

Now I am not implying that the average movie going person has an IQ of an 8 year old, but there is simplicity of having the screen 'filled up' all the time. So I understand why people want this.. Life is complicated as it is- do we really have read the history of Todd-AO and cinescope to learn how to watch a movie at home? Ok, for me the answer is yes, but I can appreciate why some people feel differently.

What irritates me is that, despite DVDs being -how old? 10 years? 11? I have yet to see a "helping you to understand those black bars" article that should come with ever widescreen DVD, or maybe even a free DVD that explains this that should come with every TV sold. Education is the key... And the studios, in my opinion, have not done a good job with that.. After all, doesn't "Full screen" really sound better? : )

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.