Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rango (Verbinski, 2011): Johnny Depp animated pic w/Industrial Light & Magic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rango (Verbinski, 2011): Johnny Depp animated pic w/Industrial Light & Magic

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Rango (Verbinski, 2011): Johnny Depp animated pic w/Industrial Light & Magic

Saw it. Really liked it overall. Thought some of the humor was a bit adult for a PG rating, but other than that, a fun time. They need to find a way to have Billy Nighy be the nemesis for Depp more often. Even if they were animated this time, they still played off each other well .
Old 03-05-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rango (Verbinski, 2011): Johnny Depp animated pic w/Industrial Light & Magic

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Really liked it overall. Thought some of the humor was a bit adult for a PG rating, but other than that, a fun time. They need to find a way to have Billy Nighy be the nemesis for Depp more often. Even if they were animated this time, they still played off each other well .
I saw this with my 6 year old boys today. I had the same exact thought but they talked more about other aspects of the movie. Rango should do fairly well in the theaters and look forward to its video release.
Old 03-05-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought some of the humor was a bit adult for a PG rating
Some examples of that, please.
Old 03-05-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Wife and I just got back from seeing it. Lots of adult-oriented humor and in-jokes that had the kids in the audience going "Huh?" But everyone in the theatre, which was sold out, seemed to enjoy it.

Plus -
Spoiler:
any movie with Hunter Thompson AND Clint Eastwood in it is fine by me
Old 03-06-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Some examples of that, please.
The part where the Indian bird was talking about molting and it being time to mate, the prostate statement, and the doctor pulling out an examination glove spring to mind.

Whenever they do the release to DVD/BD, I hope they include the motion capture sessions of the actors. I saw an interview with Isla Fisher and they showed a clip and it looked like that would be just as entertaining as the movie.
Old 03-06-11, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The part where the Indian bird was talking about molting and it being time to mate, the prostate statement, and the doctor pulling out an examination glove spring to mind.

Whenever they do the release to DVD/BD, I hope they include the motion capture sessions of the actors. I saw an interview with Isla Fisher and they showed a clip and it looked like that would be just as entertaining as the movie.
link to that interview...cuz that sounds fun.

EDIT: NVM...found this:

<object width="600" height="455"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/33237"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/33237" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="455" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-06-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-06-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

^ A whole version of the movie like that is what I hope is included on the BD release.
Old 03-06-11, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah...I'd totally dig that. Really wish we'd have more stuff like that. While different in it's production, I would've love to see Sin City in it's Green Screen filming. That sped up one was nice...but I wanted the whole thing played out as they were shooting.
Old 03-09-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this tonight and really, really liked it. Considerably complex for a non-Pixar animated film.
Old 03-10-11, 07:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought it beautifully didn't fall into a Disney/Pixar mode, even though it drew from alot of western movie cliches (and other movies i.e, 'Road Warrior') it took alot of chances and really suceeded. I thought the script, notably the dialogue was very complex, so much so, the adults at the screening I was at were laughing more than the kids - it's fast and has some great one-liners (it came across as a cult film in the making). The film while aimed at kids older than say six, the three year old in front of me lost it (starting crying) at the beginning of the big chase scene and both her and her father up and left - some of the scenes got a tad too intense for the wee ones (it's also one of the very few animated films were the 5.1 soundmix was highly aggressive and very loud at times). Other than Depp, I really didn't recognize the voice talent which is a plus, since alot of times the marketing of voice talent is a tad overkill and unnesecary. The animation is startling and IMO amazing! I simply HAVE to own this on bluray!
Old 03-10-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked it. The best part was the resolution between Nighy and Depp. That was very well done. Their parts together were the best in the film.
Old 03-10-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Might seem like an unnecessary question, but:

Spoiler:
Did Rattlesnake Jake and Rango have some sort of past before the movie? I know they weren't brothers, but the way Jake confronted Rango initially made it sound like he knew a lot about him for never having met him before.

I agree with the statement that Depp and Nighy know how to play off of each other, as has been evidenced in other movies.
Old 03-13-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I was in a bad mood or it was the theatre full of restless kids who weren't enjoying the movie, but I thought this was average at best. Depp is great and the many movie references and adult jokes were right up my alley, but the plot and a few of the action sequences felt tired and dragged out - the movie easily could have been 20 minutes shorter without hurting it. I was really with it for the first half but then just felt it lost steam...the final sequences were decent but I was mostly checked out by then.
Old 03-17-11, 01:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Finally got around to seeing this, and it blew me away! The animation was gorgeous, the story (while essentially a rip off of Chinatown) felt fresh, and the movie never seemed like it was pandering. It was smart, beautifully shot, and the characters had really good depth.

I told my roommate afterwards that this, for me, was the CGI equivalent of Ghost In The Shell, a movie that felt like live action even though it was animated (not because the animation felt live action, but because of the way the shots were composed and flowed).

I think ILM has just fired a shot across the bow of Dreamworks and Pixar.
Old 03-18-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I really liked this movie. Story was good, level of detail was amazing, character design was really well done, although the female character's face lacked expressiveness. And Johnny Depp really slips into the character. I was worried it would be too obvious that it was him, but after a bit, I just saw "the character".

And like Suprmallet said, it was well shot, and upon looking at the credits, I saw Roger Deakins was a consultant. Makes sense.

I loved the little reference to Lee van Cleef, with a shot of a character missing the top joint of his middle finger.
Old 03-23-11, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Too bad they couldn't get Clint to voice "Spirit of the West" A.K.A "The Man With No Name".

Otherwise it was fun movie, B+
Old 01-29-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I finally saw this last night on Blu-ray. I absolutely loved it. It was a lot more adult oriented than I was expecting. I never thought I'd see anyone make a CGI Spaghetti Western.

This was perhaps the most beautiful animation I've ever seen and the blu-ray presentation was equally as beautiful. Visually, a true reference quality disc.

I also have to give props to Timothy Olyphant
Spoiler:
He does a mean Clint Eastwood impression. I thought it was actually him when the "Spirit of the West" showed up

Hopefully we get a sequel. I'd love to see Rango Rides Again...

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-29-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-29-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I really like the ending on the extended version on the the blu-ray. Wish they have show that in the theater.
Old 01-29-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This was perhaps the most beautiful animation I've ever seen and the blu-ray presentation was equally as beautiful. Visually, a true reference quality disc.
Yes, I would agree with this.

Due to it's Oscar nom, they are re-releasing it to theaters for a week. I missed it at the theater and thinking of checking it out again on the big screen.
Old 04-05-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Saw this last night on netflix, I'm amazed it ever got approved for a $135m budget, but I'm glad it did. The only minor complaint I had was the old actor in the desert should have been voiced by Eastwood or somebody with a gruff voice to fit the face, Timothy Olyphant didn't really work there.

Just all around a really unique movie, part western, part Fear and Loathing, part Chinatown, completely different. I'm kind of amazed it got a PG rating, not that it's really "bad" but man did they cram a lot of innuendo and adult humor into it.