Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best King Kong Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best King Kong Movie
King Kong (1933)
61.96%
King Kong (1976)
2.17%
King Kong (2005)
35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Best King Kong Movie

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Peter Jackson movie is a disaster. What a terrible, terrible film that is. My day today will be a little less fun just because that terrible bore fest has been recalled to my memory. I had high hopes for that film from the hype stuff, and the raping of my expectations was like the scene from 'Irreversible".

One would think it virtually impossible to make the a VERY high end CGI fight between King Kong and a T-Rex into something boring, mechanically so amateur, and laughably stupid. Nope, Peter Jackson managed to do just that in spades. And that's one of the better scenes in the film.
Old 09-09-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Even Yasujiro Ozu would scream "HURRY THE FUCK UP!!!" at this movie.

Edit Kong '05 to the originals length, and it would be better.
Old 09-09-08, 12:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Where's the various sequels and spin-offs? Son of Kong, King Kong Lives, King Kong vs. Godzilla?
1978's 'Bye Bye Monkey'
Old 09-09-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Matt and others who were disappointed with PJ's version of King Kong. The captain and the shipboy story line is something that really stuck out as obvious cutting room material. I did find my self nodding off during various other parts as well. PJ should have learned how to direct T-Rex action from Steven Spielberg. The 1933 version is the best version since it was original and had a lot of influence on film makers, but as a kid I grew up on the 70's version with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange.
Old 09-09-08, 01:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I have to agree with Matt and others who were disappointed with PJ's version of King Kong. The captain and the shipboy story line is something that really stuck out as obvious cutting room material. I did find my self nodding off during various other parts as well. PJ should have learned how to direct T-Rex action from Steven Spielberg. The 1933 version is the best version since it was original and had a lot of influence on film makers, but as a kid I grew up on the 70's version with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange.

I saw the 70's version in the theatre, but on the whole, nothing really seemed very memorable, the waterfall sequence, Kong with a crown, and Kong attacking the above ground subway train. Other than that... nope nothing, there weren't any dino's to speak of.
Old 09-09-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fay Wray had no love for Kong. 76 introduced the "sympathetic" Kong which Jackson took. So 76 deserves some credit for breaking ground storywise.
Old 09-09-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a toss up between the 1st and 3rd though I also like the 2nd, but I voted for the 3rd.
Old 09-09-08, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
I saw the 70's version in the theatre, but on the whole, nothing really seemed very memorable, the waterfall sequence, Kong with a crown, and Kong attacking the above ground subway train. Other than that... nope nothing, there weren't any dino's to speak of.
You forgot to list the score by John Barry for KING KONG (1976).
That and a hotter babe in Jessica Lange.
Old 09-09-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I grew up watching the 70s version on the ABC Sunday Night Movie for years, so I have a certain fondness for it (although I wouldn't call it a good movie, in the grand scheme of things, but its a nostalgic favorite.) Jessica Lange's performance in that movie was so reviled at the time (think, for instance, on the level of Elizabeth Berkely in "Showgirls") that most critics predicted she would never, ever work in the industry again.

Course now she's got an Oscar. And a long, distinguished career. And she still looks fucking HAWT. Remember that metal breastplate she wore in Titus? Mutha fucha...
Old 09-10-08, 06:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
I like all three, but it is 1933 by a mile. And the 1976 version is way ahead of the 2005 for a distant second.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-10-08 at 08:34 AM. Reason: 2005 version is quite bad the more I ponder it
Old 09-10-08, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
I like all three, but it is 1933 by a mile. And I think the 1976 version edges out the 2005 for a distant second.

How drunk were you when you actually typed this and hit the send button?
Old 09-10-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree....with the '76 over the '05. Maybe it's just nostalgia or maybe it's an awful Jack Black, terrible CG (canyon Dino stampede...HORRIBLE) or a movie that was probably 30 minutes too long (I have nodded off every time I try and watch it). Yeah, I know it's just a guy in a suit in the '76 version, but it's just a more fun movie IMO.

Oh, and I voted for the original. Light years ahead of the others.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 09-10-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 08:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If we're rating the girls by hotness, Jessica Lange wins by a mile. She is unbelievably smoking in that movie. Followed by Fay Wray, and then Naomi Watts.
Old 09-10-08, 08:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RTisBetter
How drunk were you when you actually typed this and hit the send button?
What do you mean?

You probably aren't objecting to 1933 being the best, that is common opinion.

And the 2005 version got very mixed reviews, there should be no problem at all with acknowledging that many people could find it the lesser of the three or even horrid. See above post for some of the reasons.

In fact, the more I think about it, the 1976 version is much better than the mediocre 2005 version.

Or are you just one of those people that think only your opinion is valid?
Old 09-10-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1933. It's a film I watced as a kid and I've loved for 20 years. It's got phenomenal special effects work by Obie, great casting and an engaging story. I feel transported back to the days of pure elation and excitement when I'd watch movies as a kid everytime I put it on.

I do, however, have to say that I love the legend of King Kong so much that I'm a huge fan of the sequels and other versions.

King Kong '76, while very dated (and with unconvincing effects work) is a total guilty pleasure of mine. I love that film - have since I was a kid. John Barry's score is one of the best I've heard on a film. It's powerful and evokes much emotion.

Jackson's version is also fantastic. Sure, it's bloated and could have used some trimming, but I love the lush fantasy world he created. Kong as a CGI creature is nothing short of phenomenal and breathtaking.

Also, growing up a Godzilla fan I have to throw in some love for King Kong vs. Godzilla. Even though Toho took some serious embellishments with the character it was incredibly exciting as a kid to see my two favorite movie monsters going at it. Same goes for King Kong Escapes. Kong fighting a Mecha-Kong? Badass.

Hell, I even loved King Kong Lives. I have the DVD singed by Linda Hamilton.
Old 09-10-08, 05:43 PM
Banned

I put 76 over 05 also.
For the hero.
The jag promoter
The babe of course.
The music score.
05 beats 76 for fx only.
Old 09-11-08, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
1933. It's a film I watced as a kid and I've loved for 20 years. It's got phenomenal special effects work by Obie, great casting and an engaging story. I feel transported back to the days of pure elation and excitement when I'd watch movies as a kid everytime I put it on.

I do, however, have to say that I love the legend of King Kong so much that I'm a huge fan of the sequels and other versions.

King Kong '76, while very dated (and with unconvincing effects work) is a total guilty pleasure of mine. I love that film - have since I was a kid. John Barry's score is one of the best I've heard on a film. It's powerful and evokes much emotion.

Jackson's version is also fantastic. Sure, it's bloated and could have used some trimming, but I love the lush fantasy world he created. Kong as a CGI creature is nothing short of phenomenal and breathtaking.

Also, growing up a Godzilla fan I have to throw in some love for King Kong vs. Godzilla. Even though Toho took some serious embellishments with the character it was incredibly exciting as a kid to see my two favorite movie monsters going at it. Same goes for King Kong Escapes. Kong fighting a Mecha-Kong? Badass.

Hell, I even loved King Kong Lives. I have the DVD singed by Linda Hamilton.
I think you nailed my feelings exactly, although I can't say I have a signed copy of King Kong Lives.
Old 09-11-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer The Simpsons' take on King Kong:

Carl: Hey, I hear we're going to Ape Island.
Lenny: Yeah, to capture a giant ape. I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island.
Charlie: What do they got there?
Carl: Apes. But they're not so big.

or

Burns: Smithers, this is a golden opportunity! If we can get him alive, we
can put him on Broadway! Dead, we'll sell monkey stew to the Army!
Old 09-11-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed the 2005 version, but it's just nearly not as good.
Old 09-11-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
In fact, the more I think about it, the 1976 version is much better than the mediocre 2005 version.
Big oil as the villan?
ecological and environmental concerns conflicting with corporate rapaciousness?
Youthful idealism conflicting with venal cynicism?
all wrapped up in a package that is lightly satirical rather than ponderously portentious or self important.
I think it is a far better, and far more original (and USEFUL) riff on the basic material than Jacksons wildly unfocused and neutered remake. It's defintely got its flaws, but it has more going for it than people give it credit for.
And Jacksons movie is really Mighty Joe Young in spirit anyway. It obligitorily hits most of the original KK's plot points but completely lacks the mythic primal/sexual sub-text rendering it all surface. It just doesn't go any deeper than what's in plain view.
Some great (and not so great) production design, but I can't watch more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time without screaming "Bullshit!" at the screen.
Old 09-11-08, 05:13 PM

I went with the '33 version too. I think the Dino's "Kong" has gotten somewhat of a bad rap over the years though, I watched it recently and was surprised at how much if it actually works. It's beautifully photographed, the music is fantastic, and the end has that great 1970's nihlism. Plus the cast ain't bad either.