Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-07-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From this thread on the Criterion forum:
Originally Posted by peerpee
Haven't seen this anywhere else... but in the BFI supplement with the new edition of RRP Magazine, James White - technical director of BFI Video - states that he's in the middle of overseeing: "2K scans of Gance's NAPOLEON. There's a new restoration happening in LA and, as the BFI holds all the material, we're responsible for supplying the scans..... .... For a film from 1927, it amazes me how much detail is in there. That said, the film's going to need a lot of work. There's heavy damage in places, a lot of scratches, and the film is made up of multiple components each with their own sets of challenges. Plus it's more than 425,000 frames. Best of luck."
An ambitious undertaking, to be sure. Seeing a restored edition of this on the big screen, with a DVD and eventual (fingers crossed) Blu-ray release to follow, would make my year.
Old 09-07-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds promising. I've always heard good things about this film.
Old 09-08-08, 11:10 AM

I don't know why some films get the 2K and some 4K scans, I thought the latter was the more preferred option.
Old 09-08-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my most memorable movie evenings ever was seeing this at Radio City Music Hall with a live orchestra .... hopefully a solid DVD release will happen in my lifetime.
Old 09-08-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WIll I need three TVs to watch this correctly?
Old 09-08-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
One of my most memorable movie evenings ever was seeing this at Radio City Music Hall with a live orchestra .... hopefully a solid DVD release will happen in my lifetime.
Change "Radio City Music Hall" to "The Fabulous Fox Theater (Atlanta)" and this goes for me too
Old 09-08-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I don't know why some films get the 2K and some 4K scans, I thought the latter was the more preferred option.
I know nothing about the process itself or the cost involved, but I'm assuming 4K costs more? The 2000 restoration was 330 minutes, and as the first post mentioned the film has more than 425,000 frames, so the financial requirements could be quite steep.