Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you didn't want to watch but end up loving it

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-06-08, 04:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Walk To Remember

I was literally dragged into watching this with my cousin. She was bored & wanted to catch it again but with me this time. Knowing how much I hate chick flicks. So I gave it a try & fell in love with it. It's both an average teen movie & at the same time it isn't. I love how it kept sex out of the topic. Love the story, love the music & I fell in love with Mandy Moore. I didn't know she's this lovably.
Old 09-06-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Devil Wears Prada, no question. Between Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt trying to duke it out over scenery domination and an execution that catered universally, I was in awe at how good it turned out.

Another great example: I wanted to see Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo when it came out one Friday in December 1999. My parents forced me to see the opposing film on the opening night, The Green Mile. Three hours later I was nearly moved to tears and without the experience I probably would have never been introduced to Stephen King, or The Shawshank Redemption, or a mounted interest in the horror genre sooner (thanks to King's work).
Old 09-06-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was pleasantly surprised by the perceptive humor of Mean Girls, at least until it devolved into a typically cliched, naive feel-good story in the second half. Drop Dead Gorgeous was a film for which I had almost no expectations going in, and found it to be one of the funniest films of that year, with a winning performance from Dunst, and superb supporting turns by Ellen Barkin and especially Allison Janney.

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-06-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-06-08, 05:44 PM

This is embarrassing, but when I was 11 (in '85), I refused to go see Back to the Future. I have no idea why. Finally, late in it's theatrical run, I was dragged by my cousin to see it and, well, boy was I an idiot. Now it's one of my all-time favs.
Old 09-06-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Devil Wears Prada
The Namesake
Hostage
Old 09-06-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hairspray.

A friend of mine insisted we see it since I always picked the movies we'd watch on the rare occasions we got together. I was practically dragged to see it. Turns out it's actually a pretty good film, has some good songs and is quite entertaining. Not that I'll be buying it on DVD anytime soon, but for a film I was positive I would loathe it wasn't half bad.
Old 09-06-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Hamlet 2". The trailer didn't do much for me. But a friend of mine made me see it because she didn't want to see anything too serious. And it was hilarious. Loved every minute. And the funniest movie of the year IMO.
Old 09-06-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember going to see Heat (despite a serious lack of interest) with a buddy of mine....

My thoughts walking into the theater:

My thoughts after it was over:

What an epic
Old 09-06-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker View Post
I remember going to see Heat (despite a serious lack of interest) with a buddy of mine....
Serious lack of interest in a film starring De Niro and Pacino, onscreen together for the first time ever?
Old 09-06-08, 08:14 PM
FM

The Cranes are Flying

My previous experience with Russian film was limited to Solaris and Andrei Rublev, both of which left me underwhelmed. I was hesitant to watch The Cranes are Flying, but since I owned it, I thought that I should probably watch it at some point.

The story was fairly typical, but movingly told. The camera work left my jaw on the floor.
Old 09-06-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bring It On.
Old 09-06-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't want to see Napoleon Dynamite because Junior High phenomenons aren't usually my thing but I liked it a lot.
Old 09-06-08, 08:46 PM

Quick Change -- the movie was horribly marketed and bombed hard. I reluctantly watched it at a preview screening, and to this day it's still one of my favorite comedies.
Old 09-06-08, 09:13 PM

Catch Me If You Can. I have a serious dislike of Leo (but he is a good actor) and even now it seems like such a boring movie but I really liked it. Don't love it though.

Moulin Rouge is one I now LOVE but had to be forced to watch.

Last edited by celmendo; 09-06-08 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-06-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"The New Guy" and "Bring It On" were the first two that sprung to mind.
Old 09-06-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Moulin Rouge for me to. i rented it on a whim since it got alot of praise here if i recall. But man, did i ever want to turn it off after the first 10 minutes. The one thing that saved it was Nichole coming down on that swing. And now its one of my faves (and ive grown to like the opening scene too.
Old 09-06-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seven is one that sprung to mind. I was in High School at the time, and really knew nothing off the movie. It seemed a little to much like a horror flick (not my favorite genre) and I thought the girls simply wanted to see Brad Pitt. I wasn't too happy to go, but went for my friends and really loved it. Glad I did.
Old 09-07-08, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
Catch Me If You Can. I have a serious dislike of Leo (but he is a good actor) and even now it seems like such a boring movie but I really liked it. Don't love it though.

Moulin Rouge is one I now LOVE but had to be forced to watch.
Same here. I will proabably buy the 2-disc edition of Catch Me If You Can when on sale. Moulin Rouge, I had to watch for one of my media papers and ended up purchasing the Red Curtain Trilogy set.

Blood Diamond (DiCaprio)
The Conformist (foreign)
La Dolce Vita (foreign)
The Incredibles (G-rating)
Jaws (commerical)
Snatch (no particular reason)

Last edited by Apone; 09-07-08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-07-08, 02:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
40 Year Old Virgin. The first time I saw the poster, I honestly thought it was a joke. Then I saw the trailer, and thought it was one of those fake SNL trailers. Then, when I finally heard that it was actually a real movie, I thought it sounded like a complete waste of film. I finally got around to watching it in May 2007 and loved it. I told my girlfriend about it, and she wasn't interested at all... but I forced her to watch it anyway and... she loved it too.

Drop Dead Gorgeous. A couple friends and I decided to go to the theatre and pick a random movie to watch. There was one 'good' film playing (don't remember the title), but the showing was over half an hour away, so one guy opted for Drop Dead Gorgeous. The other guy and I were so mad... buying tickets... buying popcorn... all to watch this stupid chick flick because our other friend didn't want to wait. Well... DDG was not at ALL what we expected. Definitely my favorite mockumentary to date.

Seven. Had absolutely zero interest in this when it had its run in the theatres. All the girls in school went (see: Brad Pitt), and said that it was such a strange messed up movie and not what they expected. Still, I couldn't care less, as I was a Brad-hater at the time (no real reason, of course). So I finally got around to watching it in late 2000 after I got my first DVD player. I remember, I accidentally watched about 10 minutes of the second side first, before realizing I was missing some of the story. Flipped the disc... started from the beginning... loved every minute of it.

Fight Club. Like Seven, I had no interest because of Brad Pitt, but also because I thought the trailers made it look incredibly stupid. When I finally did get around to watching it, I became obsessed to the point where I'd have to watch it twice a day. That lasted an embarrassingly long time.
Old 09-07-08, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Serious lack of interest in a film starring De Niro and Pacino, onscreen together for the first time ever?
Yep. I'm not a big fan of either.
Old 09-07-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Quick Change -- the movie was horribly marketed and bombed hard. I reluctantly watched it at a preview screening, and to this day it's still one of my favorite comedies.
"You're becoming Ralph Kramden's evil twin!"

Definitely one of the most underrated comedies out there, and probably my favorite comedic performance from Murray behind Ghostbusters and Rushmore.
Old 09-07-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Would you believe, Harry Potter? I detested Potter for sort of being the N'Sync of the book world. My woman wanted to see the movie when it came out. I got dragged to it, and loved it. It got me interested in the franchise and I've read all the books.
Old 09-07-08, 10:53 AM

Chicken Run

My friends all wanted to see it opening night, so I tagged along. Absolutely loved that movie.
Old 09-07-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Harry Potter is a good one. I originally shrugged off the first two as kids stuff until I finally watched one and ended up becoming a fan and reading all the books.
Old 09-07-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Wars (1977)....seriously.

Personally wanted to watch Logan's Run since I had a huge crush on Farrah Fawcett but my dad brought me to Star Wars instead.

Until now, I have neither seen nor have any desire to see Logan's Run.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.