Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Old 01-11-10, 11:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

Well, that plus the thoroughly underwhelming trailers and the fact that the Hughes Bros. haven't impressed me in years.
Old 01-11-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

Film is d-u-m-b. Couple good action scenes (mostly early on) but then it disintegrates as it moves towards the final act. And the end is ridiculous.

I love Mila, but she was horribly miscast in this. She does not give off the impression of a rough and tumble teenager barely surviving the grit and grime of post-apocalyptic America.

It does stake a claim, though, to be the first mainstream movie to skin and eat a cat. At least that I can recall.
Old 01-11-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to see this on Friday but with the lukewarm reception I may just wait till it comes to video.
Old 01-13-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Good article on Denzel, and a little on the movie:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...ton-jan10.html
Old 01-15-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was absolutely great. This is going to end up at worst in my 2010 top 10, probably higher. I wanted to stay in the theater and watch it again when it was over.

Please, do not read the spoiler above if you have any interest or seek out any other info. The whole thing is set up so well that it's almost perfect.
Old 01-15-10, 11:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I thought this was absolutely great. This is going to end up at worst in my 2010 top 10, probably higher. I wanted to stay in the theater and watch it again when it was over.

Please, do not read the spoiler above if you have any interest or seek out any other info. The whole thing is set up so well that it's almost perfect.
I agree. I thought the movie was fantastic. Denzel did a fantastic job with it. Gary Oldman was very good as well.
Old 01-16-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked the movie. There was a twist that was pleasant.
Old 01-16-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This movie. Would. Not. End.

I enjoyed the first half, but it really went downhill after that. Denzel was great, but that's to be expected. Mila was a strange casting choice. Nice to look at, but distracting in this setting. They made a big deal about a tiny bottle of shampoo, but Mila's hair looks as if it's shampooed 8 times a day.
Old 01-16-10, 04:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

There is no way
Spoiler:
wet naps in those little fast food packets would still have moisture after 31 years. I've opened year old ones that were already dried out.

Seriously though, I was surprised that I liked this. Based on the trailers I was expecting just another stylized forgettable action film, but I really liked the depth of the world depicted in this film. So many little details, and aspects that were hinted at but not fully explained... I dug that.
Old 01-16-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A lot more style than substance IMO and a pacing that felt off. If this film was 95 minutes, it would have killed. I would have chopped the opening few minutes (Start the film with Denzel coming across shopping cart lady) and then once him and Mila hit the road, you can easily trim some stuff out of here. A lot of dialogueless scenes where not a lot of stuff happens - however the action works great. Some very well staged sequences, it just feels like a long time in between. The plot is fairly simple, as are the characters, so I think removing some of the dead space in the middle wouldn't hurt any of that stuff at all, just make the experience a lot more enjoyable.
Old 01-16-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
They made a big deal about a tiny bottle of shampoo, but Mila's hair looks as if it's shampooed 8 times a day.
Fair point.
Old 01-16-10, 11:43 AM

Come on, nobody else thought the end twist was idiotic?

Spoiler:
There's no way he could have been blind. Throughout the entire movie there are moments where it proves he can see. Like after he dispatches the gang under the overpass, he purposes kicks a pair of sunglasses away...how did he know they were there if he's blind? There are a million other gaps in logic throughout the film. And for that matter, how did Mila get out of the cave that Denzel locked? And he was walking across America for thirty years?? What the hell was he doing that took him three decades to traverse the country?

And Mila was a horrible choice. She's way too contemporary. You needed someone you could believe could survive in that rough environment.
Old 01-16-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Come on, nobody else thought the end twist was idiotic?

Spoiler:
There's no way he could have been blind. Throughout the entire movie there are moments where it proves he can see. Like after he dispatches the gang under the overpass, he purposes kicks a pair of sunglasses away...how did he know they were there if he's blind? There are a million other gaps in logic throughout the film. And for that matter, how did Mila get out of the cave that Denzel locked? And he was walking across America for thirty years?? What the hell was he doing that took him three decades to traverse the country?

And Mila was a horrible choice. She's way too contemporary. You needed someone you could believe could survive in that rough environment.
Spoiler:
Maybe he stopped in places to spend time reading the bible, Maybe the old dude that was sleeping let her out.
Old 01-16-10, 11:51 AM

He said he was walking for thirty years to reach the coast. For it to take 30 years he'd have to stop and put down roots for years. Hell, he could've started five different families over that time and still made it to the coast with time to spare. And how did he get out of the windowless locked room? Miracle?

And his iPod still works? Mine couldn't even make it a year and his makes it thirty after the apocalypse?
Old 01-16-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw this and was disappointed. Those gaps in logic mentioned above are on point, I did not think of those. I just thought the lack of plot throughout the movie hurt it. There really isn't much going on. And the twist ending really just made me say "meh". I liked the action scenes, but it needed more. Denzel was good but Oldman seemed to be coasting here. Not a horrible movie, but certainly nothing special.
Old 01-16-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved it, it was great to see Gary Oldman as a villain again....
Old 01-16-10, 03:01 PM

Terrible movie. Over-stylized, the dialogue was terrible, and Mila Kunis and the ending just made me laugh. Every attempt at humor fell flat, and was too cheesy. The effects got to the point of cable movie bad. The sky in the movie just distracted me, and every time they tried to do a big scene it felt like a rip off of Children of Men. This is the first movie I've seen this year, and I was just really underwhelmed. Digital blood is really bumming me out as well.
Old 01-16-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I decided to catch this last night after work since I had nothing to do and said fuck the reviews. I don't know where the hate is coming from - I really enjoyed it. Maybe because it had that Mad Maxish-vibe to it, but Denzel was great and the twist at the end got me. Maybe it just takes less to entertain me.

The theater I went to was sold out and was packed to the gills in the early afternoon, so I was a bit shocked. I think this will have a decent opening weekend.
Old 01-16-10, 03:35 PM

They just can't do post-apocalyptic these days like they could in the 80s. Maybe it is the old guy in me, but movies like Blade Runner and the Road Warrior make all these seem like pale imitations
Old 01-16-10, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy
You're going off of that as to why you won't see the movie. Silly. I'm definitely going to see it. Sometimes you need to actually SEE the movie to see how the story plays out and not a one sentence spoiler.
no, pretty much got it covered. it's that dumb.
When a movie's basic premise is so nonsensical and flawed, there's not a whole lot that can be done to redeem it

Spoiler:
First there's the totally irrational presumption the Bible is somehow the key to civilization as we know it. Even if Carnegie could read it, what the hell was he going to do with it? Recite Levitical laws about not eating pork? Tell everyone about the whore of Babylon from Revelations? Learn about how the Israelites made war with the Ammonites?

The other religions, spiritualities and faiths in the world, I guess their texts have nothing to offer civilization.
Hell I guess no other book has the power to civilize as the big ol' Bible!

It's narrow-minded ethnocentrism at best and willful ignorance at worst.

Aside from the religious aspect, this movie just cannot maintain suspension of disbelief

Spoiler:
Okay Eli is somehow a super fighter although totally blind, like Zatoichi. I'll go with it. But he gets shot in the stomach and can still live long enough to recite the entire Bible from cover to cover? As well as walk around, row a boat, etc etc? Gimme a fucking break

Last edited by terrible chong; 01-16-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well its clear this is either a hate it or love it type movie... I really enjoyed it and thought it was pretty damned entertaining. Anyways, glad this delivered for me because I was thoroughly disappointed in Daybreakers and this redeemed it for me.
Old 01-16-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong

Spoiler:
Okay Eli is somehow a super fighter although totally blind, like Zatoichi. I'll go with it. But he gets shot in the stomach and can still live long enough to recite the entire Bible from cover to cover? As well as walk around, row a boat, etc etc? Gimme a fucking break
I have been wondering about that myself.
Spoiler:
When they were in town wasn't Eli shot twice in the back by the character played by Ray Stevenson? It presented it as if the bullets just passed through him and didn't affect him, why did this bullet to the gut kill him?

I love Mila Kunis, but it's true, she was terribly miscast. Just can't help but think of Meg when you hear her voice haha.

All that being said I was entertained, I give it a B.
Old 01-16-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mila looked ridiculously hot in this.
Old 01-16-10, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by terrible chong
no, pretty much got it covered. it's that dumb.
When a movie's basic premise is so nonsensical and flawed, there's not a whole lot that can be done to redeem it

Spoiler:
First there's the totally irrational presumption the Bible is somehow the key to civilization as we know it. Even if Carnegie could read it, what the hell was he going to do with it? Recite Levitical laws about not eating pork? Tell everyone about the whore of Babylon from Revelations? Learn about how the Israelites made war with the Ammonites?

The other religions, spiritualities and faiths in the world, I guess their texts have nothing to offer civilization.
Hell I guess no other book has the power to civilize as the big ol' Bible!

It's narrow-minded ethnocentrism at best and willful ignorance at worst.

Aside from the religious aspect, this movie just cannot maintain suspension of disbelief

Spoiler:
That's your opinion dude. I like the movie a lot and will definitely buy it when it comes out on DVD.
Old 01-16-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I have been wondering about that myself.
Spoiler:
When they were in town wasn't Eli shot twice in the back by the character played by Ray Stevenson? It presented it as if the bullets just passed through him and didn't affect him, why did this bullet to the gut kill him?
Spoiler:
In my opinion it all depends on how far you were willing to go with Eli being protected and guided by God. What I saw happen in town was that the bullets fired were inexplicably grazing his sweatshirt with no damage. He still had a great deal of work to do and those bullets would have not allowed him to complete his quest. When he was shot by Carnegie, it was never really explicitly shown where he was hit or how bad the damage was and I think that was a purposeful choice. All along, his meaning in life was guided by faith after the flash. After he was shot, he never wavered and got back up to continue walking, still fresh in purpose and faith. Of course it's not 'realistic' in likely terms of his wound, nothing about Eli's journey was meant to be realistic. He was shepherded at every point with the explicit plan that if he continued to believe and follow his faith, he could not fail.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.