Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

I like the Hughes Brothers, loved "From Hell", and this has Denzel so....count me in. And that trailer looked pretty damn good. But 2010? Does that make anyone else feel old? Where did this decade go??
Old 07-23-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

Trailer looks like fun. Honestly though, trailer or not, they sold me a ticket when they said 'Oldman' & 'The Hughes Brothers'.

Dead Presidents and Menace II Society are two of my favorite films.
Old 07-24-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailer looks pretty bad ass.
Old 07-25-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixPRCDOAyIg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixPRCDOAyIg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I despise quicktime. Embedded for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 08-16-09 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Fix video
Old 08-16-09, 11:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mila Kunis is in this? Since when is "being cute" a viable survival skill?
Old 08-16-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really excited for this movie but those fight scenes worry me.
Old 08-16-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, it seems like a rehash of I Am Legend but I'm a big fan of Denzel so I'm in for watching it. But as Ryo says, the fight scenes worry me especially since Denzel isn't exactly as young as Will Smith
Old 08-16-09, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Mila Kunis is in this? Since when is "being cute" a viable survival skill?
Since the beginning of time? You don't think babies, puppies, etc are cute for the hell of it do you? All about survival skills, and Mila is just doing her part.
Old 08-16-09, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu
Honestly, it seems like a rehash of I Am Legend but I'm a big fan of Denzel so I'm in for watching it. But as Ryo says, the fight scenes worry me especially since Denzel isn't exactly as young as Will Smith
That's what I get from it too...I kinda want to see it but..I need to know more.
Old 09-25-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New trailer
Old 09-25-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-nNNyZ4wK8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-nNNyZ4wK8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 09-25-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that trailer killed any momentum I had going for this movie. It wasn't bad, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be some dumb action flick. The Hughes Brothers are better than that.
Mila Kunis is hot, but I have no idea if she can actually act, doubtful. Alongside Denzel and Gary Oldman no less.

The best thing about the trailer is Gary Oldman, who looks like the main reason to see this film.
Old 09-25-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
that trailer killed any momentum I had going for this movie. It wasn't bad, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be some dumb action flick. The Hughes Brothers are better than that.
Mila Kunis is hot, but I have no idea if she can actually act, doubtful. Alongside Denzel and Gary Oldman no less.

The best thing about the trailer is Gary Oldman, who looks like the main reason to see this film.
A script review basically confirmed it's a dumb action movie, with brain dead dialogue, and the plot twist is likely to be it's only draw for fencesitters.
Old 09-26-09, 07:46 AM

It was reported early on that Tom Waits has a cameo. I hope this remains true.
Old 01-05-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Well now that I know what the book is my interest for this just went up immensely.
Old 01-05-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Well now that I know what the book is my interest for this just went up immensely.
It's a cookbook?
Old 01-05-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the movie looks okay. Ever since Fallout 3 I've been on a post-apocalyptic kick.
Old 01-11-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fair warning: for anyone even the least bit spoiler-sensitive, I would recommend a complete avoidance of reviews and interviews for this film.

Intentionally or not, writers are going to spoil the stuffing out of this picture before it opens.

Last edited by The O; 01-11-10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Will be there with bells and whistles on.
Old 01-11-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want to see this but the choreography of Denzel's fight scenes remind me of 1980s/1990s action movie choreographed fight scenes. He just looks like an actor that didn't do much training. "Here take this sword, and swing it around."
Old 01-11-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Question for anyone who has seen it.

Spoiler:
Is the "twist" essentially that because everyone can't read, Eli is important not only because he has the Bible, but he's blind and it's in braile?
Old 01-11-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Question for anyone who has seen it.

Spoiler:
Is the "twist" essentially that because everyone can't read, Eli is important not only because he has the Bible, but he's blind and it's in braile?
Basically, yes.
Old 01-11-10, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I want to see this but the choreography of Denzel's fight scenes remind me of 1980s/1990s action movie choreographed fight scenes. He just looks like an actor that didn't do much training. "Here take this sword, and swing it around."
You might want to watch this. This will change your mind.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/...e-book-of-eli/
Old 01-11-10, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The O
Basically, yes.
Seriously? That sounds dumb as all hell. Guess I won't bother with this one.
Old 01-11-10, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Seriously? That sounds dumb as all hell. Guess I won't bother with this one.
You're going off of that as to why you won't see the movie. Silly. I'm definitely going to see it. Sometimes you need to actually SEE the movie to see how the story plays out and not a one sentence spoiler.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.