Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Wasn't she in the TMNT animated movie that came out too?
Old 08-06-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Yeah, she's the main antagonist in TMNT. She was also an on-again/off-again ally of the turtles in the 2003 animated series.

If I remember correctly she was introduced as a character in the Eastman/Laird comics in the 90s.
Old 08-07-14, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I just got back from an early screening, and without giving away anything I thought it was good. The only thing I can think of that might upset some fans, is the turtles origin story is slighty different from what is known from the cartoons. But it ties together April O Neil, Eric Sachs, and the Shredder together in a way that makes sense to the movie. I didnt know who the Asian chick was, I think her name was Karai. Overall I liked it, hope it does well, and they make another one.
I'll disagree with this. I made no sense and was stupid. Why does everything have to be CONNECTED in movies today?
Old 08-07-14, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, what happened to Casey Jones?! Why isn't he in this movie?!
Old 08-07-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
If I remember correctly she was introduced as a character in the Eastman/Laird comics in the 90s.
You are correct. In the Eastman/Laird comics, she was
Spoiler:
the leader of the Japanese Foot Clan and came to New York to end the feud with the New York Fooot Clan (the latter falling into chaos after the Shredder's demise). The Turtles helped her defeat the Shredder Elite and take back control of the New York Foot Clan, merging both clans back as one.
Old 08-07-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

So did I call it or what? Is Shredder a robot like Silver Samurai was in The Wolverine?
Old 08-07-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So did I call it or what? Is Shredder a robot like Silver Samurai was in The Wolverine?
Nope.
Spoiler:
He's a military grade office appliance for discarding sensitive documents.
Old 08-07-14, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-07-14, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
I'll disagree with this. I made no sense and was stupid. Why does everything have to be CONNECTED in movies today?
I agree. Let some things just happen.
Old 08-07-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with the sentiment that not everything has to be connected but would have been 100% okay with Splinter being a
Spoiler:
genetically altered lab rat if that was used to explain why he was so smart that he could mimic Hamato Yoshi's movements from his cage before being exposed to the ooze.
Since the latter character doesn't exist in this movie, that was a wasted opportunity.
Old 08-08-14, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Friend dragged me to this. Good thing she paid for the tickets. Starts in a bit. *sigh* not a fan of Bay productions so I'm already annoyed.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-08-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 12:19 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Friend dragged me to this. Good thing she paid for the tickets. Starts in a bit. *sigh* not a fan of Bay prosecutions so I'm already annoyed.
I didn't think it was great or anything... but it was entertaining.
Old 08-08-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me crazy, but I liked it... I liked it a lot. The Turtle designs weren't as off-putting as I imagined (and they moved with the agility of Spider-Man but with the physical prowess of Batman), their origins (though altered) still seemed close enough to comic/cartoon canon (bonus points for not being aliens), their personalities shone through and the action (though appropriately insane) felt like it fit the story.

The two things I have to wonder about though, are:

Spoiler:
1) What's the deal with the borrowed climax from The Amazing Spider-Man; and 2) Is it just me, or is Shredder always going to be defeated by kicking him off a roof?

4 out of 5. (Gasp) ... My full review can be found here.
Old 08-08-14, 02:05 PM
Banned

It was ok. Stupid but ok.

I guess they cut some scenes from what I remember from set photos.

Shredder's design is actually cool looking as a design. Stupid within the narrative.

The unity of so many things in the movie is generic BS. The plot has some drama to it but it isn't unique. It has an ending cuz they beat Shredder but The Foot Clan isn't giving a beating really.

I've been iffy on the CGI route for this cuz it never looked right. To shiny even when it was dirty. Just never looked right. Who was the main SFX guys?

I was unimpressed by the action. It was pretty predictable and bland for all the shine it had. It just never had some "oomph" to it.

Kids loved the stupid shit. Nice to see that Fox gets to be a piece of ass again. But with a backstory. Generic tying of it all but it added some soul to it. Still weak.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the best summer film so far. TMNT is just stupid and unimaginative.
Old 08-08-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

These positive reviews are causing cognitive dissonance. [/dvdtalk member]
Old 08-08-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zero
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wGsvFfEJwmc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Am I the only one that thinks those "everything wrong with ..." videos are stupid? They're always like 10 minutes longer then they need to be.

Anyway, despite the negative overall rating it's interesting as i've seen a lot of fairly positive user reviews basically saying it's dumb but somewhat entertaining.
Old 08-08-14, 07:14 PM
Banned

That doesn't mean it's all that good. Good is pushing it.
Old 08-08-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I haven't seen it yet and will not until BD but the one thing that bugs me and seems to go over everyone's head is that (from what I've read about the plot) April raised the turtles or some shit and then they all want to fuck her when they're grown?

Am I right? Kind of pervy there.
Old 08-08-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Am I the only one that thinks those "everything wrong with ..." videos are stupid? They're always like 10 minutes longer then they need to be.
No, I agree. I haven't cared for any of them.

I want to see GotG in IMAX tomorrow, then I'll probably end up catching this Sunday or Monday in a matinee.
Old 08-08-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw it last night and the crowd was filled with old school fans and new ones as well. Parents brought their children and some were dressed as their favorite turtle. The movie exceeded my expectations and is a lot of fun if you don't think too hard while watching it. Not to say I need brainless entertainment but this is a movie about four mutant turtles raised in a sewer by a rat who teaches then ninjitsu...go see it and have fun.
Old 08-08-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That doesn't mean it's all that good. Good is pushing it.
But doesn't mean it's all that bad either, which was my point. Regardless, I probably won't spend the money to watch this in theaters and will wait for a home video release.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-08-14 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Saw it tonight and I didn't really care for it much at all. I know the film is made by Nickelodeon and the target audience for it is kids, but I just felt like this was way too kid friendly and personally to me it didn't really work like I wanted it to. The plot was paper thin and it barely felt like anything happened in the movie at all. Just action sequence after action sequence. The Foot Clan didn't feel like much of a threat and the same goes for Shredder. The entire final battle was just meh. Overall I'd probably give this film a 2 out of 5. There are some fun moments and the Turtles themselves weren't terribly portrayed and seemed to embody the spirits of the characters but on a whole the film just feels largely forgettable.
Old 08-08-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Saw it tonight and I didn't really care for it much at all. I know the film is made by Nickelodeon and the target audience for it is kids, but I just felt like this was way too kid friendly and personally to me it didn't really work like I wanted it to. The plot was paper thin and it barely felt like anything happened in the movie at all. Just action sequence after action sequence. The Foot Clan didn't feel like much of a threat and the same goes for Shredder. The entire final battle was just meh. Overall I'd probably give this film a 2 out of 5. There are some fun moments and the Turtles themselves weren't terribly portrayed and seemed to embody the spirits of the characters but on a whole the film just feels largely forgettable.
Nice review.
Old 08-08-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Nice review.
I didn't feel like going too in depth, just some general thoughts I had after watching it. Plus it's just the regular thread and not reviews so I didn't want to say too much and get bitched at for spoilers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.