Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Milk (Van Sant, 2008)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Milk (Van Sant, 2008)

Old 12-29-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw this today and thought it was well made and Sean Penn was great but didn't really come away amazed. I think this sort of subject matter just doesn't keep my interest in a movie, so it wasn't really my type of film to begin with even though it made me interested in reading more about Harvey Milk. It made me feel more like I was watching a documentary at school.

I didn't know anything about the actual events since it was before I was born, but it did make me think automatically of Proposition 8.
Old 12-29-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I saw this today and thought it was well made and Sean Penn was great but didn't really come away amazed. I think this sort of subject matter just doesn't keep my interest in a movie, so it wasn't really my type of film to begin with even though it made me interested in reading more about Harvey Milk. It made me feel more like I was watching a documentary at school.

I didn't know anything about the actual events since it was before I was born, but it did make me think automatically of Proposition 8.
This sort of subject matter? You mean a man fighting for people's rights??
Old 12-29-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, I just hate people fighting for people's rights. It makes me sick to my stomach!

No, more specifically the bio pic dramas. These things always seem to be geared for awards and while covering some interesting parts of history, I never end up finding them particularly engrossing as films.
Old 12-30-08, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a fantastic film. Van Sant was restrained in his direction, the screenplay did well to balance the historical, dramatic, and (yes) comedic elements, and the greatest compliment I can pay to Sean Penn is that five minutes into the movie, I forgot an iconic actor was playing the leading role.

Fresh Air had a strong interview with screenwriter Dustin Lance Black a month ago if you're interested in checking out the podcast.
Old 12-30-08, 08:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by grrr
What a fantastic film. Van Sant was restrained in his direction, the screenplay did well to balance the historical, dramatic, and (yes) comedic elements, and the greatest compliment I can pay to Sean Penn is that five minutes into the movie, I forgot an iconic actor was playing the leading role.

Fresh Air had a strong interview with screenwriter Dustin Lance Black a month ago if you're interested in checking out the podcast.

Penn was simply amazing, he effortlessly became Harvey. I thought the entire cast was also on par. I didn't realize how powerful the ending was, I was weeping.
Old 12-31-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just finished watching this movie...

The film itself was very good. But I found it to be a pretty much paint-by-numbers biopic. It was still a very moving movie. I think some of the earlier parts in the movie were a bit... excessive. The film became so much more when Ann Kronenberg appeared.

It should be required viewing for all registered voters.

Oh, and Sean Penn deserves the Oscar.
Old 01-10-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Milk (Van Sant, 2008)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
No, more specifically the bio pic dramas. These things always seem to be geared for awards and while covering some interesting parts of history, I never end up finding them particularly engrossing as films.
Finally saw this, and I completely agree. Biopic dramas are not my genre of choice, I often find it a chore to sit through them. I'll say though that Milk does a good job of trying to keep the viewer interested and it went by a lot faster than I thought. Penn was fantastic, Brolin was great, Franco was great. Loved all the acting. It's a solid film, just not my type of film.
Old 01-10-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you guys who have seen it think Penn getting the critics award over Rourke was the right choice? His acting was that good in this?
Old 01-10-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Penn deserves it over Rourke, but I'm not too upset since they are both GREAT performances (and both actors have a lot of external baggage working for and against them).

As for the movie, I thought it was terrific. It really captures that time period well and I thought the framing device was a good one. I know it's still going on today, but watching movies like this always astound me at how intolerant people can be - just for the sake of being intolerant. Penn is fantastic as Harvey and his nuanced performance carries the film but he doesn't go it alone. The supporting work from Brolin, Hirsch and Franco is top notch and makes the film work that much more.

I knew nothing about Harvey Milk beforehand (except for the 'Twinkie Defense') and this movie really did a good job of showing what he accomplished and how his actions influenced the way things are now. Easily one of the best movies of the year and the direction was fantastic - that shot in the whistle...wow.
Old 01-22-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's vastly overrated. Take out all the kissing and the lover's relationship melodrama and it would have been a much better film. Changeling should have received the best picture nod over this.
Old 01-22-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I'm not going to say I think Changeling should have been in instead of Milk, but I really thought Changeling was a fantastic movie and really don't get why it didn't click with critics.
Old 01-22-09, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditto.
Old 01-22-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
I think it's vastly overrated. Take out all the kissing and the lover's relationship melodrama and it would have been a much better film. Changeling should have received the best picture nod over this.
Then it would have made it just like any other Hollywood film.
What did you think a movie like Harvey Milk, an openly gay politician, would be? Did you just want to delete everything about his life that made him who he was?
Old 01-22-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Then it would have made it just like any other Hollywood film.
What did you think a movie like Harvey Milk, an openly gay politician, would be? Did you just want to delete everything about his life that made him who he was?
The key word is melodrama. I felt like I was being hammered over & over by the difficulties in his relationship (with Franco), one or two exchanges would have sufficed, or maybe it could have been written better as to not be so repetitive... that was the major drawback... Those moments, because they are poorly written and executed detract from the film. IMHO, of course...
Old 01-22-09, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My sister and I commented that the film was good, but..we wondered if there was truly that much kissing by him in those public moments. Besides that..we enjoyed it with some minor giggles..
Old 01-22-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hasslein
The key word is melodrama. I felt like I was being hammered over & over by the difficulties in his relationship (with Franco), one or two exchanges would have sufficed, or maybe it could have been written better as to not be so repetitive... that was the major drawback... Those moments, because they are poorly written and executed detract from the film. IMHO, of course...
Thinking about it, I'd say the same about his relationship with Jack.

Spoiler:
It doesn't help that you see Harvey freak out over Jack's issues and ultimate death when I felt nothing but annoyance for the character.
Old 06-28-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Watched it last night. Penn really nailed the role. Brolin was excellent as well. I concur with the Oscar nods for best actor and picture. I knew of the murder, but was not aware of how, when, and by whom. I was a bit put off by all the homo-kissing, but knowing what the movie was about, I was already bracing for it, so it wasn't too brutal.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 06-28-09 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Easily one of the best movies of the year and the direction was fantastic - that shot in the whistle...wow.
I recall seeing a piece on the film where Van Sant was talking about how that shot in the whistle was entirely computer superimposed.