Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Ghost Town" -- Gervais, Leoni, Kinnear -- 09/19/2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I did a search, but didn't see anything for this.

http://www.ghosttownmovie.com/?gclid...FQYcHgodKDIzQQ

Looks like it could be fun. I'd say definitely worth a rental.
Old 09-02-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone knows the "door close" buttons on elevators don't work. This looks pretty fluffy. The director's last film was the execrable Secret Window, which was a real chore to sit through, though he has co-written some good scripts, including The Paper, so maybe the wit in this will be a bit sharper than the trailer would lead you to believe.
Old 09-08-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm..that trailer did nothing for me, but Variety seems pretty enthusiastic:
Smartly supernatural, and featuring sensational performances by Ricky Gervais and Tea Leoni, "Ghost Town" is a "Topper" for our times, and will probably do for Gervais what his previous projects haven't -- namely, brand the Emmy-winning Brit comic in America as a source of sophisticated, snarky fun. The proper tweaking by Paramount could make for major (box office).
Old 09-08-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I have seen this trailer at the theater, the audience seemed pretty interested in this movie
Old 09-08-08, 08:56 PM

Anything with Gervais I'm willing to check out.
Old 09-08-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to a taping of Canadian talk show 'The Hour' on Friday with Gervais there - he said luckily Stephen Merchant saw the movie and liked it - if he hadn't he would have told Ricky that it sucked...so that's good enough for me... apparently it's a lot sadder than the trailers let on. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-17-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two clips
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
its at 100% on RT with 9 reviews, I know that will drop as more come in but this is a good sign so far.
Old 09-17-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by project86
Me too, (even thought that philosophy burned me with For Your Consideration, that seemed like such a can't miss)
Old 09-17-08, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Me too, (even thought that philosophy burned me with For Your Consideration, that seemed like such a can't miss)
My watch-anything-philosophy regarding Christopher Guest worked out well for me. I enjoyed FYC.
Old 09-17-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this Heart & Souls 2?
Old 09-17-08, 12:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Surprised at all the positive reviews. The ads for this make it look to be very much "by the numbers".
Old 09-17-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Surprised at all the positive reviews. The ads for this make it look to be very much "by the numbers".
Yeah, I thought so as well. I remember seeing the theatrical trailer in theaters and thought it looked pretty plain and not particularly funny.
Old 09-17-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by theflicker
My watch-anything-philosophy regarding Christopher Guest worked out well for me. I enjoyed FYC.
Yeah, it was a double whammy for me, I am a CG fan more than a Gervaise fan, so I thought I was in for a real treat. I should really revisit it one of these days, maybe I was just in the wrong mood.
Old 09-17-08, 01:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
This.
Old 09-20-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really enjoyed it. The plot is by the numbers but the script is sharp and the cast really elevate the material. Never too sweet (mostly) and Ricky Gervais gets a lot of funny bits, it's a role that is totally his own. Tea Leoni is charming and instantly likeable and Kinnear is great at the suave douche type role. Not knee slappingly funny but very cute and some great scenes. Kristen Wiig is hilarious as usual and the rest of the supporting cast are all effective. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but I smiled the whole time and felt good by the end of it. Worth seeing for Gervais fans for sure IMO.
Old 09-20-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thankfully, the film is better than its trailer would indicate, and it's mainly due to Gervais and the script, which gives Gervais' character, Dr. Pincus, DDS, some room to develop, and displays a sense of humanity in how death might affect ghosts, and has fun with its premise. The film feaures a somewhat misanthropic dentist who is able to see ghosts wandering around Manhattan, and once the ghosts realize Dr. Pincus can see and hear them, they all want him to get a message to their loved ones one last time to settle unfinished business, but one ghost, Frank, is the most convincing at compeling Dr. Pincus to help him out.

The supporting cast is uniformily solid, through Gervais does most of the heavy lifting in the film and his deft comedic touch is used to good effect. Greg Kinnear and Tea Leoni are enjoyable in their roles. Leoni's character has a sweet and cute bathtub scene (but I fear I've said too much already). I had a good time watching the film, and it does have good pacing, and the plot plows somewhat familiar ground, but also carves out its own path as it concludes.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 09-20-08 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-21-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know how this is getting such good reviews. I was frankly bored and a bit astonished at how this script got made. The actors do their best, but the story is worse than by-the-numbers, it's completely nonsensical and full of holes. It's actually a throwback to 1980's "high concept" movies like Vice-Versa or Ghost Dad.

I would go into it more but will wait till more people have seen it before throwing spoilers around. The audience seemed to enjoy it, but I found it to be pretty bad.
Old 09-24-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
I really enjoyed this. I hadn't caught any of Gervais' work previously--I thought he was hilarious in this role. This is one I'll likely pick up when it's released on DVD.
Old 09-24-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I really enjoyed this. I hadn't caught any of Gervais' work previously--I thought he was hilarious in this role.
Wow. Go out and rent The Office - now.
Old 09-24-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw a tv spot for this last night, looks pretty amusing.
Old 09-24-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Wow. Go out and rent The Office - now.
Actually, I just watched the 1st season recently and look forward to going through that series in the near future. Forgive me for being ignorant about it, but per imdb, Gervais has basically just been a part of that show as writer/producer and not as a regular cast member, correct?

I didn't realize the connection between Gervais and The Office until you brought it up.
Old 09-24-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I just watched the 1st season recently and look forward to going through that series in the near future. Forgive me for being ignorant about it, but per imdb, Gervais has basically just been a part of that show as writer/producer and not as a regular cast member, correct?

I didn't realize the connection between Gervais and The Office until you brought it up.
You are aware that he's referring to the UK original version of "The Office" right?
Old 09-24-08, 11:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant created The Office in the UK. It ran for two seasons and then had a finale special. When NBC decided to do the American remake, they credited Gervais and Merchant, but I'm pretty sure neither of them did any writing on the American series. And, IMO, the British Office is far superior to the American one, but I know a lot of people who love the American version.
Old 09-25-08, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
You are aware that he's referring to the UK original version of "The Office" right?
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant created The Office in the UK. It ran for two seasons and then had a finale special. When NBC decided to do the American remake, they credited Gervais and Merchant, but I'm pretty sure neither of them did any writing on the American series. And, IMO, the British Office is far superior to the American one, but I know a lot of people who love the American version.
Thanks for brining me up-to-speed. I'm familiar with the UK version but haven't seen it at all.

Sorry to everyone else for derailing the "Ghost Town" thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.