Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Good, The Bad, and the Weird (2008) Trailer/Discussion (S. Korean Western)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-02-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Trailer is up, and I'm sure it has been for some time, but I figured a thread for it would be a good thing

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/...weird-trailer/

The story of three Korean outlaws in 1930s Manchuria and their dealings with the Japanese army and Chinese and Russian bandits.
Title: Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom
Director: Ji-woon Kim (A Bittersweet Life, A Tale of Two Sisters)

Writers:
Ji-woon Kim (screenplay)
Min-suk Kim (screenplay)

Release Date: 2009 (USA) more
Genre: Western

Can't wait
Old 09-02-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks wicked. I love the main actor Kang-ho Song; he was great in The Host and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.
Old 09-04-08, 04:45 AM
Cool New Member

I can't wait to catch this film. Love the director and the three main actors' films .... plus the trailer look so kick ass !!!
Old 09-04-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's just no fucking way this isn't amazing.
Old 09-04-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
Looks wicked. I love the main actor Kang-ho Song; he was great in The Host and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.
Don't tell me you haven't seen Bittersweet Life? Lee Byung-hun could give James Dean a serious run on the coolness market based on that film alone!

The Good, The Bad and the Weird has all the earmarks to be a truly very good and fun film. Cast, Ji-woon as writer/director/Spaghetti Western backdrop. I can't wait!

Rich, the 2009 release date ... is that screening or DVD?
Old 09-04-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
This is playing at the Toronto International Film Festival. The AVClub just posted a review of the film, which they gave an A-
http://www.avclub.com/content/featur..._tiff_08_day_0
Old 09-04-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by visitor Q View Post
Don't tell me you haven't seen Bittersweet Life? Lee Byung-hun could give James Dean a serious run on the coolness market based on that film alone!

The Good, The Bad and the Weird has all the earmarks to be a truly very good and fun film. Cast, Ji-woon as writer/director/Spaghetti Western backdrop. I can't wait!

Rich, the 2009 release date ... is that screening or DVD?
Theatrical, though it is coming out via IFC Films which means it will likely be released in theaters and OnDemand simultaneously (similar to My Winnipeg).
Old 09-04-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks awesome.

= J
Old 09-04-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

looks totally awesome! Of course it will not be playing anywhere near me ever so here's looking forward to the dvd
Old 09-04-08, 06:10 PM

I definitely will be seeing this!
Old 09-05-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Theatrical, though it is coming out via IFC Films which means it will likely be released in theaters and OnDemand simultaneously (similar to My Winnipeg).
Yeah, I admit that was "duh" question on my behalf considering a Korean DVD will most likely be out by end of Q4 considering it's initial screening in Korea was 7/17. I suppose I was hoping to pry out a US release date from somewhere, if even known at this point.

Like every other US screening of a Korean film, I'll probably own the DVD first. How frigging depressing .... well, considering this is my most anticipated film left for the year. And with respect to the Korean quota system battle that Hollywood won, one might expect some reciprocation. Guess not. Instead, the consumer gets to play the waiting game ....

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-05-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by visitor Q View Post
Yeah, I admit that was "duh" question on my behalf considering a Korean DVD will most likely be out by end of Q4 considering it's initial screening in Korea was 7/17. I suppose I was hoping to pry out a US release date from somewhere, if even known at this point.

Like every other US screening of a Korean film, I'll probably own the DVD first. How frigging depressing .... well, considering this is my most anticipated film left for the year. And with respect to the Korean quota system battle that Hollywood won, one might expect some reciprocation. Guess not. Instead, the consumer gets to play the waiting game ....

Thanks for the response.
Yeah, I can't actually think of an asian film I've seen in theaters first. Even Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon earlier this decade was available on legit subtitled VCD prior to the US Theatrical release. It's a bit of a bummer, but it's to be expected.
Old 09-05-08, 10:20 PM

Very excited about this, several of my favorite talents in one film, and the trailer looks insanely great! I'll buy whatever souped up expensive DVD package Korea has to offer!
Old 09-06-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I'll buy whatever souped up expensive DVD package Korea has to offer!
I'd was going to wager the girlfriend on this one, but ....

With the Korean market in a slump I would be hopeful seeing this one offered up in some elaborate acrylic case design similar to the 4D release of The Host ..... or better. This should be break-through. But CJ Ent is not known for elaborate LE releases. Excellent releases none the less - correct aspect, anamorphic, DTS .. extras; though not English friendly. So it will be interesting (for me anyway) to see what they come up with.

Since it's been so long since the last "real" Korean LE release ..never mind a good enough film from that region, CJ should do it up like the Old Boy "present" release to stir it up. But I have my doubts it will be that good...

Last edited by visitor Q; 09-06-08 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-06-08, 02:33 AM
Cool New Member

It will be screened in Singapore during the mid nov 2008 period : ) can't wait for it to be released!

I just shown my gal friend "A Bittersweet Life" and she can't stop raving how cool Lee Byun Hun is

Beside Lee Byun-hun and Song Kang-ho , there's Jung Woo-sung who was memorable in A moment to Remember & Daisy ... the combo of these trio who could easily headline a film together ... just make me drool

Last edited by overider; 09-06-08 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-01-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Good, The Bad, and the Weird (2008) Trailer/Discussion (S. Korean Western)

At Long Last, A US Trailer And Release Date For Kim Ji-Woon's THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE WEIRD

You can thank the ridiculous threat of a pointless lawsuit over the film's title for delaying the North American release of Kim Ji-Woon's kimchi western The Good, The Bad And The Weirdbut with the whiny folks at MGM now teetering on the edge of outright collapse the legal issues have been resolved and and the film is finally slated to hit US screens April 23rd.* And you know what that means?* New trailer!
http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/03/a...-the-weird.php
Old 04-01-10, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Good, The Bad, and the Weird (2008) Trailer/Discussion (S. Korean Western)

good. maybe we can finally get a blu-ray release in the states.
Old 04-01-10, 07:25 AM

It is playing at the Dallas International Film Festival in a couple of weeks ahead of the release date and I'll be seeing it again there. I will say that the UK Blu-ray of this movie was the impetus behind my going region free.
Old 04-01-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say that the UK Blu-ray of this movie was the impetus behind my going region free.
Why? It's Korean blu-ray is region A.
Old 04-01-10, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Why? It's Korean blu-ray is region A.
Well, it was out in the UK first, if I'm not mistaken, and the UK disc is also less than 1/2 the price of the Korean disc.
Old 04-01-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...the UK disc is also less than 1/2 the price of the Korean disc.
But that difference is a lot less than a new blu-ray player...
Old 04-01-10, 01:07 PM

Eh. I have half a dozen or so other Region B discs that aren't available in Region A, so it has worked out. Plus, I get extras in English.
Old 04-23-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Caught this at the international film festival last year. Saw it was getting a domestic release. This is really a fun movie, and I highly recommend it. Great characters, great adventure, and great action scenes. The final desert chase is a particularly huge and enjoyable set piece. As well as an extended and brutal battle in a rainy village.
Old 04-23-10, 09:19 PM
Banned

Any homage to Leone is pretty cool. I wanted to see it here at the IFF in Dallas but...I couldn't risk seeing that and not being able to shoot my project. I regret it now...they didn't even give me a cam for it anyway.
Old 04-23-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This movie is awesome! I bought the 3-Disc set from S. Korea when it came out and have watched the film countless times.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.