Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Miyazaki: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Miyazaki: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Old 05-28-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,068 Likes on 847 Posts
Re: New Miyazaki: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Originally Posted by cungar
I've seen the Japanese version with subs. Pretty spectacular but Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were both better in my opinion. The animation didn't blow me away quite as much as those two and the story is a little simplistic and derivative (based on The Little Mermaid) for Miyasaki. That said it's an amazing film.
I liked Howl's but felt the ending sort of hurt it for me, it was all too convenient.
Old 05-28-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts

The old Spanish language dub (before they fired the original cast) of The Simpsons was just as good if not better than the original English language. Of course that is more the exception than the rule.
Old 05-29-09, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now all you've got to do Disney is release a boxset with all Miyazaki films.
Old 05-29-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

There's a great animated feature from Ghibli that Disney has the rights to, but hasn't released on DVD. It's called ONLY YESTERDAY (aka OMOIDE PORO PORO) and was released in 1991 in Japan and it's about a career girl in Tokyo in 1982 who takes her summer vacation out on a safflower farm in Yamagata and flashes back to her fifth grade self in 1966 when the Beatles came to Japan. She meets a country boy who has a lot more on the ball than she initially thinks. There's a real eclectic soundtrack. And it has a wonderful ending that you need to stay through the end credits to see. It's one of the best animated dramas I've ever seen and was directed by Isao Takahata, who also directed GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES.

ONLY YESTERDAY was shown on TCM during the Ghibli retrospective in 2006, but that's the only time it's been officially shown in the U.S. John Lasseter and Ben Mankiewicz introduced it but they didn't say a word about the film, which was completely unknown to at least 95% of the audience. Rather than give people a reason to stay tuned and discover this remarkable film, all Lasseter could talk about was how much Miyazaki liked TOY STORY. I'm still angry at the two of them.
Old 05-30-09, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
There is a huge difference between the soundtracks on the DVDs. Compare the English dub with the Japanese original for Kiki's Delivery Service. In the Japanese, there are long stretches without dialogue so you can admire the scenery. In the English dub, that cat never shuts the fuck up!

I guess that Disney doesn't think that their viewers have the attention span of a gnat, because there is no break in the talking, and the script vocalizes everything you see and tells you how you should feel.

English: "Look, a city! We're getting closer! Watch out for the clock tower! Look at all the people. Wow! This is exciting! Do you think they'll like us here?"

Japanese: ". . ."
Even worse, the English subs on that DVD are the closed captioning subtitles of the English dub, so if you watch it in Japanese with English subs, all those long stretches of silence have constant text at the bottom, attributed to characters who are not currently talking.
Old 07-19-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Old 07-19-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Even worse, the English subs on that DVD are the closed captioning subtitles of the English dub, so if you watch it in Japanese with English subs, all those long stretches of silence have constant text at the bottom, attributed to characters who are not currently talking.
What? My DVD has both a "Closed Caption" subtitle track and a "Subtitle" subtitle track.
Old 08-13-09, 06:06 AM
Banned by request

I saw this today. It's easily one of the most beautiful Miyazaki films to date, especially the introduction and opening credits. Real stunning animation work that even the most hardened heart would view as wonderful. While the story is loosely based on The Little Mermaid, it's given a very definite series of twists, which often unfortunately rob the story of its power. Several tantalizing threads are set up earlier in the film, only to be dumped by the end. Unfortunately, this seems typical of Miyazaki, who's only ever had satisfying endings to a few of his movies, favoring quick fixes over more cathartic resolutions. Still, it's got several sequences that are among Miyazaki's best, and for that reason alone is worth seeing.

My theater got the English dub. In general, I liked it, with Tina Fey, Liam Neeson, and Betty White being the standouts. The kids are ok, especially the girl who plays Ponyo, but there are a few awkward stretches in the second act. I wonder if they play better in Japanese. By far, though, the worst problem with the English dub is that Disney put some shitty remix of the title song onto the end credits. It's embarrassing and is a poor way to lead the audience out of the picture.
Old 08-13-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think every place is getting the dub. I might see this at the landmark in baltimore (they're showing it digitally projected as well). This will prob look stunning in that format
Old 08-13-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw clips of the dub on Disney channel and found the kids grating. I dunno if I could sit through 2 hours of them. Too bad cos I love the rest of the cast. And I think they played a bit of the song you talked about, Suprmallet. The two kids sing (or rather squeel) it and it was really annoying. I may just wait for this on BD. Too bad cos I enjoyed both the English and Japanese tracks of Miyazaki's other movies.
Old 08-13-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jamie S. Rich's review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=38186

Brian Orndorf's review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38189/ponyo/

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-13-09 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Haven't seen any word anywhere on there actually being a subtitled release this time around - even in the Indy(er) Landmark Theatres. Which is pretty disappointing since I saw "Spirited Away" and "HMC" both subtitled when they were released theatrically.

You'd think they'd at least have occasional subbed screenings or alternate theaters - but this doesn't seem to be a huge release.
Old 08-14-09, 01:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i think every place is getting the dub. I might see this at the landmark in baltimore (they're showing it digitally projected as well). This will prob look stunning in that format

I just saw this in DLP down in Georgetown and the colours which more seemed like watercolours at times (notably the backgrounds) looked fantastic.

As for the movie, I was stunned, sure it's akin to My Neighbor Totoro the story is simplistic but it's just as powerful - in my opinion, it trounced Pixar's Up. The typhoon sequence is tremendous. The voice work (for the English dub) in general didn't bother me, but everytime Liam's voice is heard, all I could think of was Aslan the Lion. Being a huge Miyazaki fan, you can see he makes visual references to past films, from the huge fish under the water that look like the giant bugs in Nausicaa, the and waves and its eyes; the creature from 'Spirited Away' to the final shot which is similiar to a scene in 'Castle in the Sky' Miyazaki creates a fantastic world and the characters that inhabit it so effortlessly beautiful, sublime and exciting.

highly recommended!
Old 08-14-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i am somewhat currious on how this ends up doing box office wise, since apparently the disney channel is advertising the movie on some end, but i think this is on less then 1000 screens
Old 08-14-09, 03:30 PM

I just saw this today along with District 9, and I loved it. It's probably my least favorite Miyazaki film (I've seen Mononoke, Howl's, and Spirited Away), but I still liked it a lot.

It definitely felt more geared toward a younger audience, that and the last 5 minutes or so kind of dragged it down for me, but the rest was great.
Old 08-14-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 452 Posts

I think Pixar, or more specifically John Lasseter(sp) is in charge of and directed all the English voice acting.
Old 08-15-09, 08:18 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
I just saw this today along with District 9, and I loved it. It's probably my least favorite Miyazaki film (I've seen Mononoke, Howl's, and Spirited Away), but I still liked it a lot.

It definitely felt more geared toward a younger audience, that and the last 5 minutes or so kind of dragged it down for me, but the rest was great.
Oddly enough I saw it after District 9 too and had pretty much the same reaction. Although I was pretty bummed after District 9 so maybe it isn't a fair review. Cheered me up a bit though.
Old 08-16-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

I've seen all of Miyazaki's films on the big screen (as well as repeat viewings on tape and DVD). My favorites are:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986) [shortened to Castle in the Sky for U.S. release]

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Princess Mononoke (1997)

And I recommend them to all of you. (Porco Rosso, 1992, isn't bad either.)

I was less enthusiastic about Spirited Away (2001) and Howl's Moving Castle (2005), but they both offer plenty of spectacle.

Ponyo left me cold. The two child protagonists were too young for me to get engaged in their story. The boy is asked to bear too much responsibility for a five-year-old. If the characters were older, say 8, I think I might have felt differently. Plus, I had too many questions about the undersea characters and their background that were never answered. I like to know what I need to know in order to appreciate something. If you leave out something I consider vital, then I lose interest. Kids don't have this problem, so they'll love this. But I didn't.

So, to me, Mononoke was Miyazaki's last great movie.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-16-09 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it yesterday. I'd put it in the top tier of Miyazaki's stuff, up there with Spirited Away (IMO his masterpiece and one of the greatest movies of the past decade) and Totoro (IMO his second best movie). I didn't particularly like Howl's Moving Castle (relatively speaking), this was much better IMO.

It's a lot like Kiki's Delivery Service or Totoro: the gentler/ more child friendly Miyazaki. It also works brilliantly for adults, there's a lot of metaphor and allegory (the wizard trying to restrain his powerful child being one of the many extremely potent images). What I particulalry loved is that the story is made from the perspective of a five year old, it's naive and accepting of some fairly bizarre stuff. Huge, prehistoric fish swimming over a flooded highway is fairly everyday sight from this movie's perspective. I think my youngest daughter thinks that way: the world is incredible bizarre if you have no context. It was fascinating watching my daughter watch this, she was in a trance.

From a technical perspective, I think Ponyo is simply amazing. This is a masterclass in traditional animation, Ghibli is in top form here. I really liked the mixing of watercolor/pastel rough drawing on the backgrounds and sharper/traditional anime style for the characters. Also, the fluidity of the undersea animation is true art. It's really, really hard to do underwater stuff convincingly and this movie nails it.

This is easily the best new movie I've seen this year.
Old 08-16-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got back from this. Like some other posters, I found this to be on the lighter side of Miyazaki's fare. This still, for better or for worse, places it among the best animated films of all time. But to me, it didn't have the sense of wonder of some of his best films. The audience was filled with very, very young children and they seemed to really like it, whereas I don't see them enjoying something like Howl's Moving Castle. Highly recommended. Bring the children.
Old 08-16-09, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

Did no one else have any issues with the movie's flaws?

Spoiler:
Miyazaki spends the last third of the film setting up how precarious of a situation Ponyo and Sosuke are in, only to have the resolution undercut all of it, with the simplest questions taking the place of an actual test. The movie also spends a good deal of time setting up possible abandonment issues, only to throw those out as well. Oh, and of course, as soon as the main conflict is resolved, Sosuke's dad shows back up, unharmed and completely disconnected from the rest of the story.

It makes me wonder why so many critics and audiences give Miyazaki a pass on these kinds of things when any other filmmaker would be raked across the coals. Don't get me wrong, I liked Ponyo, but I wanted to love it, and the above problems prevented me from doing so. It doesn't even work as fairy tale logic.
Old 08-16-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,068 Likes on 847 Posts

Some people get caught up in the movie/journey to the point where it is difficult for them to be objective about the content of the film itself.

For instance -- Spirited Away has, arguably, a very weak plotline in general ... but fires on every cylinder for me.
Old 08-16-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw the Japanese dub awhile back and thought it was great. I'll check out the english one in theaters sometime down the road. But to me, Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle are still my favorite Miyazaki/ Ghibli films.
Old 08-17-09, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

Very nice movie, and I agree that it will appeal to the Totoro/Kiki set more than his other stuff. The voices of Liam Neeson and Betty White really jumped out at me, but not the others, even Tina Fey. (Her character, the mom, was kind of hot.)
Old 08-17-09, 02:43 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RichC2
Some people get caught up in the movie/journey to the point where it is difficult for them to be objective about the content of the film itself.

For instance -- Spirited Away has, arguably, a very weak plotline in general ... but fires on every cylinder for me.
Spirited Away has a much more structured plot than Ponyo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.