Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
People are so annoyingly obsessed with the "Nolan's Bat-universe is REALISM; fantasy/scifi elements can't apply" mindset. That was never the case. It was always more of a "MORE realistic compared to previous comics movies" approach. The whole thing is still firmly rooted in the cinematic fantasy realm. Don't sweat it.
There's nothing supernatural in BB or TDK. There is suspended disbelief and pseudoscience, but there's nothing magical or rooted in fantasy.

Like I said, a healing pit could work, but Nolan's not going to just have this magical pool that fixes people without any context whatsoever.
Old 07-17-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You can explain the Lazarus Pit a zillion ways and make it work in the "Nolanverse". It in no way has to be magical. It can just as retarded as the blue poppy from Batman Begins that gives people specially tailored hallucinations.
Old 07-17-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by georgec
There's nothing supernatural in BB or TDK. There is suspended disbelief and pseudoscience, but there's nothing magical or rooted in fantasy.
Good grief. The way I saw it, there seemed to be a constant stream of magic and fantasy in TDK.
-From the idea that a guy clomping around in boots and 40 lbs of body armor and a cape can silently sneak up on people
to the notion that an off the wall anarchist can marshal a group of psycho ward inmates and hired guns to consistently perform a series of logistically complex covert maneuvers without attracting attention...it one magical thing after another.

And let's not forget the way the film turns a boat load of rapists, murders, and thugs into self-sacrificing altruists.

In light of that kind of stuff, a magical lava pit would be refreshingly up front.

Besides, it's a comic book movie- just roll with it.
Old 07-17-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I like georgec's speculative synopsis. The only thing I think needs adding is an opening scene of of young Bane being tutored by Ras in the same way he did Wayne. We might also see something utilizing the flower we saw in BB, it might produce something that is the equivalent of Bane's venom in the comics.
Old 07-17-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Actually, regarding the Joker, he wasn't an anarchist at all. I just rewatched it and find it funny how we all took his word at face value when he's shown to be a compulsive liar ("do you know how I got these scars?") on any number of ocasions. He even suckered Batman into thinking he had a role in his endgame beyond mere pawn. The Joker was a brilliant guy and quite the schemer. It's just he was so ahead of everyone he just came across as a random nut. But clearly he had contingency plans upon contingency plans (despite not being above breaking away from his plans just to see what people will do).

And Hokeyboy is right. Though Nolan was very adamant that he wanted BB grounded in reality, it doesn't mean it was realistic. I think it was Ebert that said that Batman Begins presented everything in a plausible if not probable fashion.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-17-11 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-17-11, 06:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, I thought this thread was missing something, like, say, Paul going off on yet another rant about The Dark Knight. But now everything is right with the world.
Old 07-17-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If that was a rant, I'm slipping.
Old 07-17-11, 07:55 PM
Banned by request

I mentally added all your other Dark Knight posts to it. It was epic.
Old 07-17-11, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
....how about you make a massive fucking post of his TDK posts? Please?
Old 07-17-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, I don't see a Lazarus Pit being a big hurdle for an audience who is already receptive to the material as a whole. I still give TDK credit for maintaining a driving, propulsive pace- so much so that the majority of the flaws that I see in it, I didn't notice until musing on it after a second viewing.
If TDKR has that same kind of pace, Nolan could get away with a lot of things that might seem incongruous, or half baked, on paper.

Nolan has engendered a lot of good will amongst the franchises fans. That alone will mitigate most of any potential flaws that might come with it.
Old 07-17-11, 08:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
....how about you make a massive fucking post of his TDK posts? Please?
How about no.
Old 07-17-11, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're a damn stinker. *crosses arms*
Old 07-17-11, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Good grief. The way I saw it, there seemed to be a constant stream of magic and fantasy in TDK.
-From the idea that a guy clomping around in boots and 40 lbs of body armor and a cape can silently sneak up on people
to the notion that an off the wall anarchist can marshal a group of psycho ward inmates and hired guns to consistently perform a series of logistically complex covert maneuvers without attracting attention...it one magical thing after another.

And let's not forget the way the film turns a boat load of rapists, murders, and thugs into self-sacrificing altruists.

In light of that kind of stuff, a magical lava pit would be refreshingly up front.

Besides, it's a comic book movie- just roll with it.
Have you read any of the previous posts? Nobody (as far as I can tell) is wholly opposed the idea of a Lazarus Pit. We simply don't know if/how Nolan will incorporate it.

You're confusing plausible behavior of characters with supernatural phenomena and lumping all of it into fantasy/magic.
Old 07-17-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by BLair
I think it's just a Speculation.
Maybe they thougut this could help with her career.
just laugh it off..
What speculation? Whose career? Laugh what off? Where am I?
Old 07-17-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're confusing plausible behavior of characters with supernatural phenomena and lumping all of it into fantasy/magic.
Both seem to require a suspension of disbelief. Personally I'm more tolerant of the latter than the former.
The feeling I get from most other people here though, for them it is just the opposite.
Could be wrong, just the impression I get.

As for how Nolan will reconcile any fantasy aspect- how did he do it in The Presitge?
Old 07-17-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Actually, regarding the Joker, he wasn't an anarchist at all. I just rewatched it and find it funny how we all took his word at face value when he's shown to be a compulsive liar ("do you know how I got these scars?") on any number of ocasions. He even suckered Batman into thinking he had a role in his endgame beyond mere pawn. The Joker was a brilliant guy and quite the schemer. It's just he was so ahead of everyone he just came across as a random nut. But clearly he had contingency plans upon contingency plans (despite not being above breaking away from his plans just to see what people will do).
Did he look like a guy with a plan? .....

That was part of the brilliance of Nolan's movie. You take what Joker says as truth, but it's blatantly obvious he had a plan. Some might say it was inconsistent screenwriting, but inferences are pretty much a trademark of Nolan's movies.
Old 07-17-11, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Both seem to require a suspension of disbelief. Personally I'm more tolerant of the latter than the former.
The feeling I get from most other people here though, for them it is just the opposite.
Could be wrong, just the impression I get.

As for how Nolan will reconcile any fantasy aspect- how did he do it in The Presitge?
And now you're comparing the fantasy/realism of another Nolan film to that of the Batman movies to make a point about what Nolan should/shouldn't do in TDKR? Different movies, different genres, different stories, ...

You got some weird logic, mang!
Old 07-17-11, 09:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

ew.com theorizes...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Movi...tml?hpt=hp_bn5
Old 07-17-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The teaser is supposed to be officially released in HD within a day (Monday July 18), according to several outlets who reached out to WB after they were pulling bootlegged versions left and right. There's no one source to quote for this, it's sort of just out there everywhere.
Old 07-18-11, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I saw it as the Joker evolved during TDK because of his interaction with Batman, and his increasing insanity.

At the end of BB and beginning of TDK, the Joker is a homicidal criminal ripping off banks and such. He turns into an anarchist as he finds much more joy in fucking with Batman and other law officials. This is seen when he decides to burn his pile of money. The fun of causing so much trouble is far more rewarding than the money (he states this in the film).

In TDK we actually see the transformation of the Joker into the maniac we know from the comics. The whole movie is his origin story, without actually seeing his origin.

You can still be a grand schemer and an anarchist. The Joker has always been brilliant, which is what makes him such an awesome foe for Batman.
Old 07-18-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer is officially out in HD. Collider was able to post some good screen grabs of it. In the last shot, who is the man in the background to the right? Let the speculation begin. Curious to see how long it takes until someone swears it's the Riddler.

http://collider.com/dark-knight-rise...railer/103019/
Old 07-18-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the Gimp.
Old 07-18-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

It was just posted on Facebook. Meh, kind of underwhelming.
Old 07-18-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mittman
In the last shot, who is the man in the background to the right? Let the speculation begin. Curious to see how long it takes until someone swears it's the Riddler.
Looks like a figurine to me, it doesn't move.
Old 07-18-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

just downloaded it and viewed it on PS3 - I hate watching trailers on the computer. I felt fear for the Batman at the end, and Bane looks genuinely scary. Well I'm sold on this - this is really happening now. Leaked set pictures and all are obvious that yes it's being made but to see that poster and now this teaser just makes it all the more "real" - and it was July 18 2008 that THE DARK KNIGHT was released in theatres so it's an appropriate day for the official online release of this teaser.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.