Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Old 01-25-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Well, I would think Bruce Wayne, who is a billionaire, would have at least a back up batmobile or tumbler.
Old 01-25-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Yeah, funding for a new Tumbler wouldn't make anyone associate Bruce and Batman. I'd hope they do some sort of follow up on Reese since he is the one to discover that fact.
Old 01-25-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Reese is probably his own personal money launderer at this point. Which makes sense. Bruce can't be totally focused on being Batman if he needs to design his new gear and hide his financial paper trail from the board. That's where Fox and Reese come in. Alfred is his PR man. The ballerina is his beard.
Old 01-25-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well, I would think Bruce Wayne, who is a billionaire, would have at least a back up batmobile or tumbler.
Given that he's still early in his career, the Batmobile was formed from a single-instance prototype vehicle, and in the TDK he's already operating with an alternate batcave, I don't think it's unreasonable that there was no backup batmobile.
Old 01-25-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Reese is probably his own personal money launderer at this point. Which makes sense. Bruce can't be totally focused on being Batman if he needs to design his new gear and hide his financial paper trail from the board. That's where Fox and Reese come in. Alfred is his PR man. The ballerina is his beard.
Reese was going public with the knowledge so I doubt they'd keep him on board, that would mean his blackmail plan worked. Bruce was already doing things that even Lucius wasn't aware of.
Old 01-25-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Reese was going public with the knowledge so I doubt they'd keep him on board, that would mean his blackmail plan worked. Bruce was already doing things that even Lucius wasn't aware of.
Except that it seemed Reese and Bruce shared a moment of understanding (beyond "you just saved my ass") after Bruce saved him. I think Reese will most likely volunteer to help Bruce out of gratitude. And Bruce would accept if only so Fox may keep a close eye on Reese

"Keep your enemies closer," as it were.
Old 01-25-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Certainly others in the company SAW the Tumbler sitting there in the building at some point. Someone also had to engineer, design, and build it, and Reese is the only one that connected the dots when he saw the blueprints! Fox looked like he didn't even realize the blueprints were there, or why else would he leave them in a storage cabinet somewhere.

Now, given that Bruce has driven a different Lambo in both movies I tend to think the next Batmobile will be styled more like a fast sports car.
Old 01-25-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Certainly others in the company SAW the Tumbler sitting there in the building at some point. Someone also had to engineer, design, and build it, and Reese is the only one that connected the dots when he saw the blueprints! Fox looked like he didn't even realize the blueprints were there, or why else would he leave them in a storage cabinet somewhere.
That was one of the biggest of many flaws in the first movie and the way it was addressed in the sequel was such a cop-out that Nolan would have been better off just leaving it be.

There's no way in hell that that thing would exist without at least like 20 people devoting months of their lives getting it to the prototype stage. Just think of what it would have taken for the thing to be physically assembled and ask yourself if it's even remotely believable that only one person would remember it. I also know almost nothing about engineering but I do know that behind every single component is an engineer agonizing over every little detail. Next time you get in your car look at the cupholder and realize that some guy spent months of his life dealing with whether or not it had enough room for the handle of your coffee mug.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, it was painted a different color.

This one particular flaw is a perfect example of how Nolan's approach to the character is all wrong. You don't ask yourself where the Batmobile comes from in other movies but when you have Nolan forcing "THIS IS THE REALISTIC AND SERIOUS VERSION OF BATMAN!" down your throat asking those kinds of questions is an undesirable side-effect.

The super-seriousness is also why Christian Bale's performance in "TDK" was one of the comedy sensations of '08.
Old 01-25-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Eh, I'm OK with it. Could it have been handled better? Sure. I remember reading one Batman comic about his origin in which Bruce broke into Wayne Enterprises and stole the equipment he needed. But overall as a Batman fan, I loved what Nolan has done with the character and re-energizing a franchise that was made a mockery by Schumacher.
Old 01-25-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's better than one comic book origin where a stunt car driver single-handedly built the Batmobile as a favor for Batman. Ignoring how long it took him to put it together, no one saw him test it?
Old 01-26-11, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't get the issue here. Suppose Wayne Enterprises commissioned the design and build of a prototype "military" vehicle. Later, it comes out that it's Batman's vehicle of choice. So the 20-200 people that designed and built it assume Wayne Enterprises sold it to the highest bidder... Batman. It's not much of a stretch.
Old 01-26-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Agreed. If I worked on a project like that and found out that Batman was driving it, I would assume he bought or stole it from my company. My logical conclusion would probably not be "OMG my CEO playboy millionnaire boss is a crime-fighter that looks like a bat!".
Old 01-26-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't get the issue here. Suppose Wayne Enterprises commissioned the design and build of a prototype "military" vehicle. Later, it comes out that it's Batman's vehicle of choice. So the 20-200 people that designed and built it assume Wayne Enterprises sold it to the highest bidder... Batman. It's not much of a stretch.
+1

As an engineer who works in the defense industry, I had no problem with this in Batman Begins.
Old 01-26-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's better than one comic book origin where a stunt car driver single-handedly built the Batmobile as a favor for Batman. Ignoring how long it took him to put it together, no one saw him test it?
That actually works in the comics (and there was a similar version in B:TAS, though the episode was pretty average) because again, Nolan is the only one that attempts to explain these things in the first place.
Old 01-26-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
That actually works in the comics (and there was a similar version in B:TAS, though the episode was pretty average) because again, Nolan is the only one that attempts to explain these things in the first place.
Except that the raw materials the guy would need for such a vehicle would likey turn some heads (unless Batman had upgraded it himself after he fact).

Exactly. And should Wayne enterprises come under scrutiny, a dummy paper trail of this alleged buyer would have taken care of that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan all along given how relaxed Fox was when Reese tried to blackmail him. Sure he gave him that funny speech but I bet Fox and Bruce already took care of the paper trail just in case.

A guy like Reese in their pocket would make it even more ironclad.
Old 01-26-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I never really thought about it, but I am curious to see what (if anything) they do with a character like Reese, if he'll be an asset for Batman next time around.
Old 01-26-11, 02:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought we all agreed he would be The Riddler? Come on you guys, keep up!
Old 01-26-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LMAO, like when the Penguin bought the nuclear submarine in Batman (1966).

I can totally see that not raising any issues ....
Old 01-26-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except that the raw materials the guy would need for such a vehicle would likey turn some heads (unless Batman had upgraded it himself after he fact).

Exactly. And should Wayne enterprises come under scrutiny, a dummy paper trail of this alleged buyer would have taken care of that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan all along given how relaxed Fox was when Reese tried to blackmail him. Sure he gave him that funny speech but I bet Fox and Bruce already took care of the paper trail just in case.

A guy like Reese in their pocket would make it even more ironclad.
A. Batman is driving a Wayne vehicle.
B. Batman must have A LOT of money given his toys, one of a kind vehicles
C. Bruce Wayne has been declared DEAD for seven years
D. Bruce Wayne RETURNS to Gotham, the same time Batman pops up

Yea, a 'dummy trail' isn't going to stump many people man. Even the guy with Bruce's coat is going to figure out Bruce Wayne is Batman, or that Bruce and his company are backing a known vigilante.
Old 01-26-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Interestingly enough, in the comics recently Bruce recently announced to the public that he's been funding Batman the whole time
Old 01-26-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Interestingly enough, in the comics recently Bruce recently announced to the public that he's been funding Batman the whole time
Is that something he did recently?
Old 01-26-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Is that something he did recently?
Yeah, like two months ago.
Old 01-26-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You should meet wm lopez, JTH182. I can't tell if he's actually serious or just really good at fucking w/ us.
Like someone else on this board said: "If he's just fucking with us, then he's the Andy Kaufman of DVDTalk"
Old 01-26-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah...cuz he has no Batmobile anymore. What about it? It's an escape vehicle that functions beyond escaping...so what? I don't think we forgot about it.

For some reason I thought Lucious said there were 2 at Waynetech?
Old 01-26-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
That was one of the biggest of many flaws in the first movie and the way it was addressed in the sequel was such a cop-out that Nolan would have been better off just leaving it be.

There's no way in hell that that thing would exist without at least like 20 people devoting months of their lives getting it to the prototype stage. Just think of what it would have taken for the thing to be physically assembled and ask yourself if it's even remotely believable that only one person would remember it. I also know almost nothing about engineering but I do know that behind every single component is an engineer agonizing over every little detail. Next time you get in your car look at the cupholder and realize that some guy spent months of his life dealing with whether or not it had enough room for the handle of your coffee mug.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, it was painted a different color.

This one particular flaw is a perfect example of how Nolan's approach to the character is all wrong. You don't ask yourself where the Batmobile comes from in other movies but when you have Nolan forcing "THIS IS THE REALISTIC AND SERIOUS VERSION OF BATMAN!" down your throat asking those kinds of questions is an undesirable side-effect.

The super-seriousness is also why Christian Bale's performance in "TDK" was one of the comedy sensations of '08.
Uhm, that has been an "issue" since Bob Kane created Batman. It's one of those things you just let slide....

It's like, how come Clark Kent fools everyone by just putting on glasses....

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
A creative way to deal with this issue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.