Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 11:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

I should clarify, I don't mind Bale's Batman voice. I know a lot of people do, though.

And it's not that the DKR prologue was bad. It's not bad (sound issues aside). The plane stunts are awesome. But this just didn't have the visceral impact the other did. It's not just Bane, it's the editing, the build up, lots of things. If you compare the two sequences, the DK prologue is a much stronger piece of filmmaking than the DKR prologue.

And yes, I'm still excited to see it, of course. Even if it's not as good as The Dark Knight (and I doubt it will be, honestly), it'll still be good to get one more outing with this crew.
Old 12-17-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Well The Dark Knight is a tough (almost impossible really) act to follow. It was such a phenomenon that there's no way people aren't going to be making constant comparisons. I almost feel like Rises is going to have an unfair disadvantage because of having to follow it up. I've got faith in Nolan and company to put out a great film however I do think that this movie won't be as big of a mainstream success as The Dark Knight was. I can kind of understand why Nolan was hesitant to come back for a third because it's going to be hard to capture lightning in a bottle again.
Old 12-17-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I can kind of understand why Nolan was hesitant to come back for a third because it's going to be hard to capture lightning in a bottle again.
Given the money Warner gave him to make Inception, I don't think they had to twist his arm that much to come back. If anything made him hesitate, it was Ledger's death, that had an impact on him (from a personal standpoint).
Old 12-17-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Given the money Warner gave him to make Inception, I don't think they had to twist his arm that much to come back. If anything made him hesitate, it was Ledger's death, that had an impact on him (from a personal standpoint).
I'm pretty sure I read something though where Nolan really wanted his Batman movies to be solid and that he didn't want to just come back for the money. Basically if he didn't feel like he had a solid story to tell that he didn't want to continue making them just because the studio wanted him to. Why else do you think he's so deadset on wrapping up his Batman saga with this film and closing out this version of Batman? I'm sure Ledger's death was also a reason why he was hesitant though.
Old 12-17-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I think my biggest problem with this prologue is that it's pretty much a retread of TDK prologue with the whole "unmasking" thing, just in a different setting.

On a separate point, the idea of having a prologue as the introduction for a villain kicks ass. It reminds me a bit of the Bond movies. I'd love to see more of them.
Old 12-17-11, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoiler:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qhu7kgbwpns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9A6ToYYFGEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-17-11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-17-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done. Thanks Snake!
Old 12-17-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now having seen both the prologue and the trailer with decent audio, I'm still having a difficult time understanding Bane. I understood most of what he said in the prologue but I think that was mainly due to the fact that I read the transcription that was posted earlier. In the trailer I couldn't really make out the line about giving Gotham the permission to die.
Old 12-17-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Now having seen both the prologue and the trailer with decent audio, I'm still having a difficult time understanding Bane. I understood most of what he said in the prologue but I think that was mainly due to the fact that I read the transcription that was posted earlier. In the trailer I couldn't really make out the line about giving Gotham the permission to die.
When Gotham is in ashes, you have my permission to die.
Old 12-17-11, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. Definitely a lot better quality, and Bane's voice is clear as a bell and very easy to understand.

Also, its pretty obvious he's gonna mess Bruce up pretty badly.
Old 12-17-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
When Gotham is in ashes, you have my permission to die.
I read the line a few pages back but still couldn't make it out in the clip.

For the record, I like the sound of his voice and the accent that Hardy's using, I just wish he were a little easier to understand.
Old 12-17-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I read the line a few pages back but still couldn't make it out in the clip.

For the record, I like the sound of his voice and the accent that Hardy's using, I just wish he were a little easier to understand.
Nolan wants to give fans a reason to see this over and over again.
Old 12-17-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sort of miffed that my nearby Regal Imax theater showed the 2nd trailer before MI:Ghost Protocol. I'd like to have seen the 6-minute long prologue in Imax, instead.
Old 12-17-11, 12:43 PM
Banned by request

I watched the prologue again. Even having read the transcript, I still found much of Bane's dialogue to be incomprehensible.
Old 12-17-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I watched the prologue again. Even having read the transcript, I still found much of Bane's dialogue to be incomprehensible.
Indeed.
Old 12-17-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Yep it's hard to understand. I'm sure the complaints have been heard so I'm not worried.
Old 12-17-11, 01:54 PM
Banned

Missing a line or two based on a technical flub or bad mix isn't so bad. The main villain of a film being unintelligible to some or most of the audience is a major problem. I mean, people already complain about Batman's voice in these movies. If Bane can't be understood, why even bother to see the film?

And as for why I felt underwhelmed, it wasn't just that The Joker is a major villain and Bane isn't. It's that I wasn't very impressed with the six minutes of Bane that I did see. The mask looked kind of silly, and he didn't appear very imposing. The sound stuff didn't help, of course.
What shock. You're never impressed with anything.
Old 12-17-11, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

What a shock, people latch onto the critical comments I make while completely ignoring all the positive ones.
Old 12-17-11, 04:43 PM
Banned

Gah....they're now removed.
Old 12-18-11, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

While we're on the subject, can someone explain not his dialogue, but his actions? What the hell was Bane was actually doing to the doctor? And another thing, did Carcetti actually shoot the first masked man, because it sort of looked like he just shot into the air.
Old 12-18-11, 02:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluetoast
While we're on the subject, can someone explain not his dialogue, but his actions? What the hell was Bane was actually doing to the doctor? And another thing, did Carcetti actually shoot the first masked man, because it sort of looked like he just shot into the air.
Bane was getting some of Pavel's blood transferred over to convince authorities that the dead man was Pavel after the crash.

The guy shot into the air to scare the masked man into talking. Bane made a comment about it as well.
Old 12-18-11, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

What a shock, people latch onto the critical comments I make while completely ignoring all the positive ones.
yeah. funny how that happens.
Old 12-18-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a feeling the audio will be cleaned up some for the final product.

Prologue on real IMAX looked great, although the stunt kinda reminded me of Cliffhanger. Not complaining though.

Movie looks great.
Old 12-18-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Am I the only dummy who can't track down the bootleg online?

I may have to make my quarterly trip to the movie theater today (I have a proper IMAX nearby). I'm really excited to see what everyone is talking about. And MI4 looks good anyways.
Old 12-18-11, 09:26 AM
Banned

have you typed "The Dark Knight Rises" into youtube? There's a shit ton right there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.