DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Giallo (Argento, 2009) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538508-giallo-argento-2009-a.html)

NoirFan 08-26-08 05:43 PM

Giallo (Argento, 2009)

Couldn't find a previous thread on this one. Official logline and synopsis from Bloody-Disgusting. NOTE: There are spoilers in the detailed synopsis, so I used a spoiler tag for that section.

This evening we received the official logline and long synopsis for Dario Argento's latest, Giallo, which completed principal photography this past June. Starring Elsa Pataky, Adrien Brody and Emmanuelle Seigner, and written by Sean Keller and Jim Agnew, the film begins in Italy, an American woman fears her sister may have been kidnapped. Inspector Enzo Lavia fears it’s worse. They team up to rescue her from a sadistic killer known only as Yellow. YELLOW chooses his victims based on their beauty, because he himself is not beautiful. Scorned and rejected in the orphanage where he was raised as a child, he now hunts beautiful women to torture and to kill.

He keeps them alive, mentally and physically abusing them, until he grows bored. Then, he kills them and discards their body. He’s efficient, and always has his next victim ready to torture. And he’s clever, only going after tourists, women who won’t find an advocate in the police department.

Spoiler:
His latest victim is an Asian exchange student. After her, he has CELINE (Elsa Pataky), a gorgeous fashion model.

LINDA (Emmanuelle Seigner) is a smart, attractive flight attendant, in Torino to spend time with Celine, her sister. When Celine doesn’t arrive for their planned meeting, she takes her concern to the local police. But they don’t want to be bothered with her, sending her instead to the basement to deal with INSPECTOR ENZO LAVIA (Adrien Brody), an eccentric detective who doesn’t fit in with the department. The details of the case remind him of a strange killer he’s been hunting. Yellow.

They team up to find her, their quest aided by the tragic death of the Asian foreign exchange student. Enzo has some pretty wild theories about the killer, theories that are correct. One of these theories leads him to believe that Celine is next. Yellow tortures Celine, but finds that she’s tougher than many of his victims. She fights back. As the detective and Linda close in, Celine is running out of time.

Enzo deduces that the killer must have hepatitis, and they go to a hospital that treats the disease. As they try to get the doctor to release confidential information, Enzo realizes that Yellow is in the hospital! A chase ensues, but Yellow gets away.

But now he’s seen Linda, and he knows that to keep feeding his lust for blood, he must kill her as well. Both sisters are in jeopardy, and the clock is ticking.

“Giallo” updates great Giallo horror film of Dario Argento, directed by the creator of the genre, that also calls to mind the classic serial killer films such as “Silence of the Lambs” and “Seven”. Featuring a hero and a heroine facing down pure evil, “Giallo” is a new classic by a master of suspense.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...esh1/11big.jpg http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/besh1/7.jpg

Greg MacGuffin 08-26-08 07:42 PM

Sounds promising. Hopefully better than Mother of Tears.

Brody looks super Italian in that first picture.

riotinmyskull 08-27-08 04:35 AM

argento with a talented actor? has hell frozen over?

Matthew Ackerly 08-27-08 07:28 AM

can't wait for this one.

EdTheRipper 08-27-08 08:40 AM

Looking forward to this.

Giles 08-27-08 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 8898666)
argento with a talented actor? has hell frozen over?

one can only hope.

we DOES he find these actors? under a rock?

islandclaws 08-27-08 02:08 PM

Can't be worse than Mother of Tears, right?

Right?

I'll check it out, being the Argento whore I am.

Giles 08-27-08 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 8899596)
Can't be worse than Mother of Tears, right?

Right?

I'll check it out, being the Argento whore I am.

those few of us, seem very masochistic in our fandom to him don't we?

however if he can outdo the gore quotent that was in Mother of Tears I'd be impressed, that pole up the victims coochter and out the mouth was OTT !!!!

NoirFan 08-27-08 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 8899185)
one can only hope.

we DOES he find these actors? under a rock?

In his own house. Fortunately, Asia Argento has bowed out of this one due to pregnancy.

Bateman 08-29-08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8899976)
In his own house. Fortunately, Asia Argento has bowed out of this one due to pregnancy.

It would be nice if she were pregnant all of the time.

NoirFan 08-29-08 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bateman (Post 8905022)
It would be nice if she were pregnant all of the time.

I'll see what I can do in that department.

Paul1957 11-12-08 09:41 AM

Here's the trailer (a little blood might not be safe for work) , this looks pretty good:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lK5Fn4L4QhE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lK5Fn4L4QhE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Geofferson 11-12-08 10:09 AM

^ looking forward to this. :up:

riotinmyskull 11-12-08 12:11 PM

the trailer for MOTHER OF TEARS looked great and that didn't turn out so well so i'm not going to get my hopes up but i am excited about it.

asianxcore 11-12-08 05:18 PM

Interesting trailer.

Am I the only one here who enjoyed "Mother Of Tears"? :)

NoirFan 04-04-09 12:21 AM

Re: Giallo (Argento, 2009)

FX man Sergio Stivaletti speaks to Fangoria about the film:

“[GIALLO star] Adrien Brody has been very involved with the movie and built up a close working relationship with Dario,” Stivaletti (pictured) tells us. “I think this is one of Dario’s strongest and most impressive films. He and Adrien collaborated on making the movie as believable as possible, and of course, fans can expect some bloody violence. This is an American movie—it is financed from the U.S. and it looks like a Hollywood picture, but it is still impossible not to see Dario’s touch in almost every scene.”

LickTheABCs 04-04-09 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 9068593)

Yes.

Torchur317 04-04-09 04:25 PM

Nope, I liked it....
It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, Not Argento's best work tho....
Then again it was ALOT better than The Card Player & Do you like Hitchcock?

Matthew Chmiel 04-04-09 04:46 PM

I enjoyed Mother of Tears, but it was not even close to Inferno (which I feel is Argento's weakest work from that era).

This is also coming from someone who liked The Card Player, but Sleepless is the best of his recent efforts (2000 and onward).

Torchur317 04-04-09 05:12 PM

Inferno was great....

Chad 04-04-09 08:01 PM

I enjoyed it in a MST3K kind of way. :D

inri222 04-04-09 08:54 PM

I hope this is as good as The Stendhal Syndrome which I consider to be his last great film.

NoirFan 06-30-09 05:07 PM

From Variety's pan:

After the mixed reception, even from fans, for "The Mother of Tears," Italian schlock-maestro Dario Argento shows further indifference to his reputation by releasing his latest, "Giallo," under his own name. Ludicrous, craptastically made even by Argento's usual low-budget standards, and not even remotely scary or amusingly campy -- unlike its predecessor, which at least has a so-bad-it's-great following -- this serial-killer story plays like a work for hire that no one had much fun working on.

Matthew Ackerly 06-30-09 06:15 PM

are we ever gonna see this?

Whats the release situation?

Mordred 06-30-09 06:25 PM

That's a harsh review.