DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The House Bunny (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538338-house-bunny.html)

Patman 08-23-08 08:27 PM

The House Bunny

What happens to an over-the-hill Playboy bunny who gets kicked out of the Playboy mansion and is left to fend for herself? Shelley (Anna Faris) finds herself the house-mother of a sorority about to be closed down for a lack of membership as the current roster is a bunch of socially inept coeds who just need someone just like Shelley to show them the light, and the coeds also help Shelley push past her superficial persona.

Anna Faris is pretty much the main reason to see "The House Bunny", as she's game for just about anything in the script, and pulls off most of the gags with enough commitment to make them work (but as a veteran of the Scary Movie franchise, she's game for anything to get a laugh or chuckle, something in short supply in Hollywood). I won't make excuses for laughing through most of the material at hand, as a lot of it entertained me (sure, some of it was purely eye candy as Anna Faris is smokin' hot in the film, and the make-overs given to the sorority sisters don't hurt). Also pleasantly surprised to see Sarah Wright (formerly Sarah Mason, who was the blonde on the first season of "The Loop" a now-cancelled show that I liked at the time it aired).

Does the film break new ground in the comedy genre, probably not, but it's light-hearted fare and doesn't take itself too seriously and has good pacing throughout most of its running time. The film is definitely targetted to young girls in high school and possibly college.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

The Infidel 08-23-08 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 8892618)
The film is definitely targetted to young girls in high school and possibly college, and to any guy who likes smokin' hot eye candy Anna Faris, not to mention the made-over sorority sisters.

Fixed.

This movie looks amusing, and I'm sure there's a few good laughs here and there. I definitely love Anna Faris. I'm kind of hoping her best scene isn't the one included in the trailer (manhole cover: "That is freakin' hot!!!"), because I think she's probably going to be just about the best thing in and about the picture. Emma Stone is a hottie, too, and actually has two films playing simultaneously (this one and The Rocker, which I don't know if I'll be able to stomach since I hate Rainn Wilson). I've liked Emma since I saw her in Superbad.

I'll probably wait until this comes out on DVD, but I won't have a problem blind-buying it.

Bluelitespecial 08-23-08 10:02 PM

I actually want to see this, the KC Star described it as "Revenge of the Nerd with Clevage". I almost saw it last night, but didn't want to be in a theater full of kids, so I saw Pineapple Express instead. Will probably wait for the dvd.

Jason Bovberg 08-24-08 11:59 AM

OK, the question we all want answered: Is Faris naked at all?

calhoun07 08-24-08 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 8892738)
I actually want to see this, the KC Star described it as "Revenge of the Nerd with Clevage".

Since the KC Star rarely likes anything the rest of the world likes...I just have to ask, is that review supposed to be positive or negative?

dsa_shea 08-24-08 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J (Post 8893278)

Million dollar question. Now who has the answer?

Vipper II 08-24-08 03:52 PM

I can't understand why anyone would want to see Faris naked, especially now. Her face looks absolutely horrible; she didn't know when to say "when" with the collagen injections. Maybe if you bag the head the naked thing would work better.

Bluelitespecial 08-24-08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 8893493)
Since the KC Star rarely likes anything the rest of the world likes...I just have to ask, is that review supposed to be positive or negative?

It received 2 out of 5 stars, positive, but saying Faris was the best thing about it.

tellybox 08-24-08 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J (Post 8893278)

Yes and no. You see her ass, but it might have been a body double, lol. Either way, most of the things she wears doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Giantrobo 08-25-08 03:01 AM

I just got back and it was a fun movie. You can't help but fall for Faris' character, and although the plot was what you expect from a flick like this it still had heart. I saw it with an audience that was almost all female and they seemed to really get a kick out of comedy.

Everyone loved the character's Name Memorization Technique and whenever she did it, she got a great response from our crowd. :lol::up:

And oh, Faris wears some amaaaazing shoes in this one.

-other- I'm just sayin'....

AndyCleveland 08-25-08 12:59 PM

yeah this was a cute flick. if the trailer intrigued you, you'll like it.

i thought it was a little too similar to "Syndey White", which i loved... but still, "The House Bunny" is a cute movie for what it is.

The Infidel 08-25-08 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II (Post 8893540)
I can't understand why anyone would want to see Faris naked, especially now. Her face looks absolutely horrible; she didn't know when to say "when" with the collagen injections. Maybe if you bag the head the naked thing would work better.

1. Come on...she doesn't look that bad.
2. What does whatever she had done to her face have to do with wanting to see her body?

mdc3000 08-25-08 05:25 PM

I saw it on friday and it was better than I thought it'd be. Anna Farris and Emma Stone both make it watchable and worth seeing (on disc probably). Some parts were terrible but overall it was cute and had it's moments. Plus cameos by the girls next door and Sara Jean Underwood = -other-. 3/5

JimRochester 01-18-09 09:29 AM

Re: The House Bunny

Saw this last night on Blu-ray. It really was pretty funny. A few of the gags fell really short. The bulldog girl approaching the guys at the pool table had such potential but fell flat IMO. The vocal technique for remembering names was funny once but then overdone. Mine was a rental so this was a no-brainer as a rental. I would even consider owning this when the price drops or I find it used somewhere.