Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office Thread - Aug 22 - Aug 24th 2008 - Bunny hops to the top.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

For Friday at least, Tropic Thunder could potentially overtake it come the end of the weekend. And no, that wouldn't warrant a title change.

Friday Estimates:
1. HOUSE BUNNY, THE SONY 2,714 5,885,000 2,168 n/a 5,885,000
2. TROPIC THUNDER PARAMOUNT 3,352 4,835,000 1,442 -41% 54,403,000
3. DEATH RACE UNIVERSAL 2,532 4,615,000 1,823 n/a 4,615,000
4. DARK KNIGHT, THE WARNER BROS. 3,163 2,975,000 941 -40% 481,849,000
5. PINEAPPLE EXPRESS SONY 2,620 1,645,000 628 -49% 69,973,000
6. MIRRORS FOX 2,664 1,590,000 597 -62% 16,790,000
7. STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS WARNER BROS. 3,452 1,565,000 453 -75% 20,903,000
8. MAMMA MIA! UNIVERSAL 2,326 1,350,000 580 -31% 121,505,000
9. LONGSHOTS, THE MGM 2,089 1,325,000 634 n/a 1,325,000
10. MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR, THE UNIVERSAL 2,422 1,185,000 489 -52% 90,928,000

I'm very glad Tropic Thunder dropped relatively softly (for an R-rated action/comedy, Pineapple Express dropped 60% last weekend). Clone Wars got absolutely wrecked. Dark Knight is still hanging in there fairly strong.

The House Bunny looked really bad to me, but apparently Anna Farris makes it watchable. That said, while I didn't think it had much interest, I haven't talked to a college chick in the last week that didn't have at least some desire to see it. Not that I've talked to many of them, but I'm not so surprised to see it on top. Death Race could potentially gain and beat it, though I don't see that happening (R rated action movies like Death Race don't tend to gain as much as PG-13 chick flicks on Saturday).

Last edited by RichC2; 08-24-08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The House Bunny was number 1?? Seriously people? Can't say I expected that one. This should bode pretty well for the opening of Disaster Movie next weekend.
Old 08-23-08, 12:20 PM
Banned

The Rocker didn't even make the top 10!

Fox certainly got what they deserve yet once again this summer.
Old 08-23-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did Fox deserve that?
Old 08-23-08, 01:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The Rocker didn't even make the top 10!

Fox certainly got what they deserve yet once again this summer.
why is that funny to you? do you really have an interest in the monetary success or failure of Fox Studios, do you have shares in Paramount or Warner Bros.? or do you think you are making a witty comment to elicit some critical response?
Old 08-23-08, 01:26 PM
Banned

I can give at least a dozen reasons why Fox is one of the shittiest film studios out there right now. I thought most of the reasons would be pretty obvious but i guess not:
* The Watchmen debacle this week trying to milk money out of WB because their summer slate of films were by and large major disappointments.
* Their insistence on ruining once promising and lucrative franchises by making them short (90-100 minutes long) and/or PG-13. Examples include AVP, Die Hard 4, both Fantastic Four films which were absolute shit, X-men 3, X-files 2, etc.
*For standard DVD people (like myself) their asinine handlind of special features on their dvd's including the handling of special features on certain one-disk titles vs. their counterparts in 2-disk editions with the pointless and disgusting "digital copy" feature. Seriously I am more disgusted by digital copy shit than I am with child molesters.
*And for the blu-ray people the laughable releases in their blu-ray catalog releases. Even when extensive extras exist on the DVD counterparts of a said film they apparently just push them aside in a manner that is quite baffling.
* Their slate of films. One would think something worthwhile would have been released from fox within the last year or so but um not really. Ive been disappointed by every Fox release I saw and many of these films were among the worst of the year. Hitman, Hills have Eyes 2, Jumper, etc.
*Thier ignorance and/or reluctance to admit the existence of a film that lasts longer than 95 minutes.
Shall I continue?
Old 08-23-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

* Their insistence on ruining once promising and lucrative franchises by making them short (90-100 minutes long) and/or PG-13. Examples include AVP, Die Hard 4, both Fantastic Four films which were absolute shit, X-men 3, X-files 2, etc.

*Thier ignorance and/or reluctance to admit the existence of a film that lasts longer than 95 minutes.
Shall I continue?
Runtime is the least of those movies problems. Had they been longer, they would have just been that much more intolerable.

Long runtime doesn't compensate for inept film making.
Old 08-23-08, 01:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Shall I continue?
yes, but you seem like you have a vested interest and actually get off on their misery.
Old 08-23-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
The House Bunny was number 1?? Seriously people? Can't say I expected that one. This should bode pretty well for the opening of Disaster Movie next weekend.
I went with some friends to see Tropic Thunder last night. The entire cinema was filled with teenage girls going to see THB. Go Figure.
Old 08-23-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can give at least a dozen reasons why Fox is one of the shittiest film studios out there right now. I thought most of the reasons would be pretty obvious but i guess not:
* The Watchmen debacle this week trying to milk money out of WB because their summer slate of films were by and large major disappointments.
*For standard DVD people (like myself) their asinine handlind of special features on their dvd's including the handling of special features on certain one-disk titles vs. their counterparts in 2-disk editions with the pointless and disgusting "digital copy" feature. Seriously I am more disgusted by digital copy shit than I am with child molesters.
*And for the blu-ray people the laughable releases in their blu-ray catalog releases. Even when extensive extras exist on the DVD counterparts of a said film they apparently just push them aside in a manner that is quite baffling.
* Their slate of films. One would think something worthwhile would have been released from fox within the last year or so but um not really. Ive been disappointed by every Fox release I saw and many of these films were among the worst of the year. Hitman, Hills have Eyes 2, Jumper, etc.
Shall I continue?
If they own the copyright to Watchmen, then they have the right to pursue whatever they are pursuing. Why don't you criticize Warner Bros. for making a film they didn't have the right to make?
Old 08-23-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shall I continue?
You only gave 6 reasons, not a dozen, BTW. (but two of those points dealt with running length, so you really only listed 5 reasons)

Please continue

Last edited by Seantn; 08-23-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-23-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Seantn
If they own the copyright to Watchmen, then they have the right to pursue whatever they are pursuing. Why don't you criticize Warner Bros. for making a film they didn't have the right to make?
I think Fox is being villianized for Watchmen because of their timing. There is no way they didn't know it was being made, but they decided to gauge how well it would track/how "good it looked" before pursuing monetary damages for it.
Old 08-23-08, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seantn
You only gave 6 reasons, not a dozen, BTW. (but two of those points dealt with running length, so you really only listed 5 reasons)

Please continue
reasons 6-12 are lsted in this part of my post :
"* Their insistence on ruining once promising and lucrative franchises by making them short (90-100 minutes long) and/or PG-13. Examples include AVP, Die Hard 4, both Fantastic Four films which were absolute shit, X-men 3, X-files 2, etc. "

And as for why I am hating fox over other studios. Well, all of the other studios certainly have found at least a couple of ways to piss me off but to the extent Fox has. They used to be a studio that put out some good movies and they were a pioneer of quality in the world of DVD.
That was another time though and its been mostly downhill for the past couple of years it seems. I wish for nothing but the worst to happen to Murdoch and Rothman.
Old 08-23-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
I loved Die Hard 4.

But yes, I will NEVER forgive FOX for canceling Firefly and Drive. FOX sucks.
Old 08-23-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
yes, but you seem like you have a vested interest and actually get off on their misery.
I was thinking the same thing.

Fox or not, I'm rather disgusted that House Bunny is #1 and The Rocker didn't even crack the top 10.

Death Race looks to be what I would have guessed though.
Old 08-23-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Tropic Thunder could take the weekend with a stronger Saturday. Are we expecting strong word of mouth for The House Bunny?
Old 08-23-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*For standard DVD people (like myself) their asinine handlind of special features on their dvd's including the handling of special features on certain one-disk titles vs. their counterparts in 2-disk editions with the pointless and disgusting "digital copy" feature. Seriously I am more disgusted by digital copy shit than I am with child molesters. *And for the blu-ray people the laughable releases in their blu-ray catalog releases. Even when extensive extras exist on the DVD counterparts of a said film they apparently just push them aside in a manner that is quite baffling.
Shall I continue?
You have some serious fucking issues if that's the way you feel. That is just outright disgusting that you feel that lightly about child molestors.
Old 08-23-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
You have some serious fucking issues if that's the way you feel. That is just outright disgusting that you feel that lightly about child molestors.
So just so we know how he stands with things, he...

1. Hates movies under 2 hours.
2. Hates movies if they aren't rated R.
3. Likes child molesters more than Fox Studios.
Old 08-23-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously I am more disgusted by digital copy shit than I am with child molesters.
So we have one forum member who thinks pot smoking causes more damage than molestation, and another who is more disgusted by digital copies than child molesters. I guess pedophiles don't have the same clout they used to.
Old 08-23-08, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
So we have one forum member who thinks pot smoking causes more damage than molestation, and another who is more disgusted by digital copies than child molesters. I guess pedophiles don't have the same clout they used to.
Well in all fairness I obviously don't have kids. If I did have kids my opinion on the matter would be a bit different I imagine. But I do have DVD's so thats probably while I feel the way I do.
Old 08-23-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313

Get out of the house, dude.
Old 08-23-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fox inexplicably bumped The Rocker back 3 weeks and then didn't market it, like at all. Why they railroad certain releases just blows my mind...I saw it over a month ago at a screening and pretty much hated it, but I thought it would AT LEAST crack the top 10....
Old 08-23-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Fox inexplicably bumped The Rocker back 3 weeks and then didn't market it, like at all. Why they railroad certain releases just blows my mind...I saw it over a month ago at a screening and pretty much hated it, but I thought it would AT LEAST crack the top 10....
I saw more ads for The Rocker than I did The House Bunny, fwiw.
Old 08-23-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Must depend on what we're watching, because I saw TONS of ads for The House Bunny and not the Rocker... and I only saw the trailer for The Rocker probably 3 times in theatres, but saw The House Bunny trailer at least 8 times.
Old 08-23-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well in all fairness I obviously don't have kids. If I did have kids my opinion on the matter would be a bit different I imagine. But I do have DVD's so thats probably while I feel the way I do.
Its always good to have your priorities in order

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.