DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Elegy (Coixet, 2008) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538133-elegy-coixet-2008-a.html)

NoirFan 08-20-08 06:00 PM

Elegy (Coixet, 2008)

IMDB synopsis:

Driven by Isabel Coixets visually assured and deeply observant direction, Elegy charts the passionate relationship between a celebrated college professor and a young woman whose beauty both ravishes and destabilizes him. As their intimate connection transforms themmore than either could imaginea charged sexual contest evolves into an indelible love story. With humanistic warmth, wry wit and erotic intensity, Elegy explores the power of beauty to blind, to reveal and to transform.

Starring Academy AwardŽ-winner Ben Kingsley and OscarŽ-nominee Penelope Cruz, with extraordinary supporting performances from Dennis Hopper, Patricia Clarkson and Peter Sarsgaard, Elegy is based on Pulitzer Prize-winner Philip Roths short novel The Dying Animal.
Seems to be getting good reviews, though limited distribution in the US so far.

Red band trailer

IMDB page

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...h1/poster1.jpg

Daytripper 09-06-08 05:01 PM

Going to see it tomorrow. Can't wait. Has no one here seen it?

NoirFan 09-06-08 05:36 PM

Haven't seen it yet myself. Got a positive write up in the new Cineaste, though they thought the film went off the rails a bit in the second half.

Daytripper 09-06-08 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8922537)
Haven't seen it yet myself. Got a positive write up in the new Cineaste, though they thought the film went off the rails a bit in the second half.

As you pointed out in your first post, the reviews are very glowing. And I really liked the tralier. Ben Kingsley has been on a roll lately IMO. And I've really enjoyed his recent work in "Oliver Twist", "You Kill Me" and "Transsiberian". And I'm a huge Penelope Cruz fan. I cannot wait to see her next Almodovar film.

Daytripper 09-07-08 12:44 PM

Well, that was one heavy film. Great, but depressed the hell out of me. Kingsley turns in a riveting performance. If he doesn't get an Oscar nomination at the very least, he'll be robbed. Cruz was fantastic as well. As was the entire cast actually. I'd give the movie a 9/10 rating.

NoirFan 09-13-08 05:20 PM

Penelope Cruz, Dennis Hopper and director Isabek Coixet on Charlie Rose.

Daytripper 09-13-08 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8937134)
Penelope Cruz, Dennis Hopper and director Isabek Coixet on Charlie Rose.

NoirFan, did you get a chance to see it yet?

NoirFan 09-13-08 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 8937147)
NoirFan, did you get a chance to see it yet?

No, I haven't seen Elegy...yet. Actually. I'm such a tightwad that I usually wait until new films are on DVD before I see them. I am looking forward to renting this one though. It has a release date of January 13th.

Daytripper 09-13-08 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8937178)
No, I haven't seen Elegy...yet. Actually. I'm such a tightwad that I usually wait until new films are on DVD before I see them. I am looking forward to renting this one though. It has a release date of January 13th.

$mart move. This is one movie that doesn't warrant a big screen experience. But you must rent it as soon as it comes out. One week later, the movie is still on my mind. Powerful stuff.

NoirFan 09-13-08 05:58 PM

Since we seem to be the only two DVDTalkers interested in this film, I'll be sure to bump this thread in four months to tell you what I thought of it. :)

Daytripper 09-13-08 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8937203)
Since we seem to be the only two DVDTalkers interested in this film, I'll be sure to bump this thread in four months to tell you what I thought of it. :)

Please do, or send me a private message. Because no one else seems interested, makes me think this one will be overlooked at the Oscars. Which would be criminal.

Oh, and check out my "In Bruges" response to you over in the "Dark Knight" to be re-released thread.

SPiRAL 09-14-08 12:19 AM

I saw it a few weeks ago, good movie. I loved the ending although it seemed to end a few times before the actual ending.

atlantamoi 03-19-09 06:26 PM

Re: Elegy (Coixet, 2008)

Little bump. Penelope Cruz rocks. I'm so glad she won an Oscar because she so consistently brings the goods. This movie was not perfect, but definitely worth a view. Fine, fine acting and a screenplay that has a keen eye on realistic points of view.