Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Depp, Law & Farrell donating their salaries to Ledger's daughter

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't know if this is old news or anything, but I just saw it reported this morning:

As most of you probably know, Heath was filming Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" at the time of his death. Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell stepped in to complete Heath's role, playing different versions of his character "Tim."

When the three actors learned that Ledger's will had not been updated to include his daughter, the generous trio decided to donate all the money they earned from the film to little Matilda!

It's good to know that there are a few nice guys in Hollywood.
Very cool of them to do that.
Old 08-20-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think the child would still have a claim anyway, but still a nice gesture:

Most states do have laws to protect against accidental disinheritance. These laws usually kick in if a child is born after the parent made a will that leaves property to siblings, and the parent never revises the will to include that child. The law presumes that the parent didn't intend to freeze out the newest child, but just didn't get around to revising the will. In that situation, the overlooked child may have a right to a significant part of the parent's assets.
http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obje...0/309/298/ART/
Old 08-20-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very cool indeed. Could add up to a few million bucks I would think. Besides, we all know Michelle Williams ain't getting that much high paying work...
Old 08-20-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Very cool indeed. Could add up to a few million bucks I would think. Besides, we all know Michelle Williams ain't getting that much high paying work...
I'm sure Michelle Williams makes a very decent living even if she's not getting big roles in big films. It was nice of them to donate their salaries to the kid, but that money could've helped so many more children/families out there who truly need the money for basic neccessities.
Old 08-20-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that is great.
Old 08-20-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sure that kid would have been as well off as most of us without the extra money, but good to see anyway.
Old 08-20-08, 01:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
awesome!
Old 08-20-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
It was nice of them to donate their salaries to the kid, but that money could've helped so many more children/families out there who truly need the money for basic neccessities.
Yeah, but no press releases for that.

Millionaires giving millions to the daughter of millionaires.
Old 08-20-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Yeah, but no press releases for that.

Millionaires giving millions to the daughter of millionaires.
I thought that was the problem, she isn't getting anything from Ledger's side (who apparently didn't have so much to begin with) so it's basically up to Michelle who I'm sure has savings from Dawson's but isn't exactly an A-list actress. It's a nice gesture.
Old 08-20-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice!!!
Old 08-20-08, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm sure she made an amount of money on from Dawson's Creek (and the reruns of said show) that she and her children will never have to worry about money for the rest of their lives.

Cant wait to see the movie and what is now a star-studded cast. Hopefully it does good. Gilliam deserves a hit.
Old 08-20-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
She's the daughter of Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams. I'm sure she is plenty well off and won't have to work as hard as any of us here for a long time.

Still a nice gesture though.
Old 08-20-08, 02:55 PM

what an awesome gesture. Those guys truly are class acts.
Old 08-20-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought that was the problem, she isn't getting anything from Ledger's side (who apparently didn't have so much to begin with) so it's basically up to Michelle who I'm sure has savings from Dawson's but isn't exactly an A-list actress. It's a nice gesture.
As I recall, Ledger's will was made before his daughter's birth, so there was no mention of her. However, Ledger's family has stated that they will see to it that the daughter and Michelle will be well taken care of. I don't know the worth of Ledger's estate, but I'm sure it is quite a bit.