DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Hey Hollywood! Cool it with the (un)funny dancing! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/537969-hey-hollywood-cool-un-funny-dancing.html)

RyoHazuki 08-18-08 04:07 PM

Hey Hollywood! Cool it with the (un)funny dancing!

When did this horrible trend start? Napoleon Dynamite? Earlier? I don't know. I just know that every time a character in a comedy starts to dance for more than 5 seconds I want to cut my ankle tendons. Tropic Thunder is the most recent offender. Is it funny to see a character do a cheesy "club" dance? How funny? Certainly not funny enough to last a full scene.

I'm kinda drawing a blank on other recent examples. I'm sure you people can think of some.

GoldenJCJ 08-18-08 04:21 PM

I like it when they show white people dancing to hip hop music.* Pure Genius!

*When it's old white people the comedy exits the stratosphere!

JustinCleveland 08-18-08 05:55 PM

"I think he's doing the rolling-the-dice-thing too much."

"No, it is working for him." --Knocked Up.

I have to say I actually disagree with you. It calls attention to the ridiculousness of modern "dance." You know, convulsions and seizures on a dance floor.

PopcornTreeCt 08-18-08 08:28 PM

I think Knocked Up is the only good example. Was Napolean Dynamite supposed to be funny? I mean they all clapped at the end.

dick_grayson 08-18-08 08:32 PM

Chris Meloni's moves are the stuff dreams are made of....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85IweNHhOAg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85IweNHhOAg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BravesMG 08-19-08 12:02 AM

I thought the dancing in Tropic Thunder was hilarious.

NoirFan 08-19-08 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8883214)
Was Napolean Dynamite supposed to be funny?

Inexplicably, some found it so.

RagingBull80 08-19-08 03:35 AM

I knew this thread was in response to Tropic Thunder the second I saw the title.

Brack 08-19-08 06:49 AM

I think Knocked Up is the only good example. Was Napolean Dynamite supposed to be funny? I mean they all clapped at the end.

that was the funny part.

and yes, bad dancing by white people is always funny.

Brent L 08-19-08 06:55 AM

The bit in Tropic Thunder wasn't that it was a white guy. It wasn't that it was an "old guy".

It was that it's Tom Cruise, Mr. Scientologist, dressed up as an old guy, doing something most people didn't expect to see out of him at all.

Giantrobo 08-19-08 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 8883739)
The bit in Tropic Thunder wasn't that it was a white guy. It wasn't that it was an "old guy".

It was that it's Tom Cruise, Mr. Scientologist, dressed up as an old guy, doing something most people didn't expect to see out of him at all.

I don't know man. I don't think you can just toss out the "Old White guy" part.

riotinmyskull 08-19-08 07:16 AM

napoleon dynamite? i think crispin glover started the trend:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/recnmGBCNYU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/recnmGBCNYU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RichC2 08-19-08 07:39 AM

the dance sequences were the funniest bits in both Napoleon Dynamite and Little Miss Sunshine because they more or less come out of left field. (FWIW, I actually like LMS as an overall movie but never got the full appeal of Napoleon Dynamite)

Tropic Thunder it was amusing in a Dr. Evil-doing-the-macarena sense for about 3 seconds but they ran it into the ground (common with Stiller flicks).

Yavin 08-19-08 08:31 AM

The Tom Cruise dancing at the end of Tropic Thunder was starting to wear pretty thin and would have been pretty much unbearable if they didn't start intercutting it with the credits halfway through.

Speaking of (un)funny dancing, how come nobody's mentioned Spider-man 3!?!

JohnSlider 08-19-08 01:35 PM

I thought the 'offense' in Tropic Thunder was hilarious! If it wasn't spliced together with the end credits I may agree with you, but it was, so I was dying. I think a big thing that made it funny was who was dancing. I do think it would have been funnier if they hadn't introduced it earlier in the movie, but what can you do?

Giles 08-19-08 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 8883884)
The Tom Cruise dancing at the end of Tropic Thunder was starting to wear pretty thin and would have been pretty much unbearable if they didn't start intercutting it with the credits halfway through.

that was the first thing that popped to mind - that wasn't unfunny, that was just a 'what the @#$%?'

Cornelius1047 08-19-08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 (Post 8883663)
I knew this thread was in response to Tropic Thunder the second I saw the title.

You and me both.

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 8883884)

I actually get a kick out of that scene. I'd much rather see Emo Peter Parker dancing up a storm than watch him cry every 10 goddamn minutes.

K

Giles 08-19-08 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047 (Post 8884833)
You and me both.

I actually get a kick out of that scene. I'd much rather see Emo Peter Parker dancing up a storm than watch him cry every 10 goddamn minutes.

K

yes, that get's old real quick.

Brack 08-19-08 02:51 PM

It's been over a year, and people are still talking about Spider-Man 3. :lol:

fumanstan 08-19-08 04:48 PM

The dance at the end of Dodgeball was great :)

wm lopez 08-19-08 05:26 PM

Ed Harris dancing in CREEPSHOW.

Hokeyboy 09-09-08 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 8884859)
It's been over a year, and people are still talking about Spider-Man 3. :lol:

Think of this way: when something evidently sucks that hard -- like a gravitational sinkhole, black hole, Spider-Man 3, etc. -- there's still going to be lingering afterimages of captive photons trapped in the event horizon.

So if someone says Spider-Man 3 sucks, that comment will reverberate for years. I still got a translucent image of Jeff Schwartz ripping apart "Hudson Hawk" in my living room from 17 years ago. What I'd give to get rid of that!

Brack 09-09-08 03:34 PM

would you like to swing on a star?

RTisBetter 09-10-08 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland (Post 8882908)

I have to say I actually disagree with you. It calls attention to the ridiculousness of modern "dance."

No, it calls attention to the ridiculousness of white people.

RTisBetter 09-10-08 05:15 AM

Was Napolean Dynamite supposed to be funny?

Yes, and it was.

I mean they all clapped at the end.
They all clapped not because his dance was funny but because it was so unexpected and he gave it his all.