Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Zucker's Latest Masterpiece: An American Carol

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-15-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3CYSGCoflAA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3CYSGCoflAA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Democrats are fat? Check.

Democrats are lazy? Check.

Democrats hate America? Check.

Democrats hate black people? Check.

Democrats hate gays? Check.

David Zucker a master of satire? Wait, what?

Isn't the entire point of political satire is to take shots at both sides? [And aren't Democrats the ones who like black people and gays? Color me confused.]

After having my intelligence insulted for two minutes, I'm at the point where we just hang David Zucker especially award-winning films like My Boss's Daughter, Scary Movie 3 & 4, The Onion Movie and Superhero Movie.
Old 08-15-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This looks pretty brutal, but I did sort of smile at the 'Master of satire' quote, that is attributed to David Zucker himself....
Old 08-15-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painfully unfunny.
Old 08-15-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
This looks pretty brutal, but I did sort of smile at the 'Master of satire' quote, that is attributed to David Zucker himself....
Yep, that's the funniest thing in the trailer...which, of course, won't be in the movie!
Old 08-15-08, 07:59 PM
Banned

Well this certainly looks like shit. I cant believe this is getting any theatrical release. This looks about as direct-to-dvd as I have seen.
Old 08-15-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to FilmJerk:

Vivendi Entertainment, the same distributor of such winners as Bloodrayne, Bloodrayne 2 and Postal, will be releasing this winner on an estimated 1,000 screens come October.
Old 08-15-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That means this will get a very small release, probably less than the 1,000 theaters they said. (and O'Reilly said 2,000 screens, yeah right!) Postal was supposed to get a bunch of theaters and it opened on about 10 screens. Bloodrayne opened on about 800 screens when they said it would be on double that many. Part 2 went straight to DVD.
Old 08-15-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks stupid, but oh well it's one movie that pokes fun at the left as opposed to the 1,000 that poke fun at the right.
Old 08-15-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie needs to be buried with that landfill of copies of E.T. for the Atari 2600. This looks like a fucking tragedy, really, and I love Dennis Hopper and James Woods! And once upon a time, David Zucker was actually awesome.

Perhaps Bill O'Reilly should stick to doing reports on the NES:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGFRi_ueq-M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGFRi_ueq-M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-16-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

totally stupid movie...but im glad to see Farley's bro get a starring role...maybe he'll get a better role next time - he was awesome in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode - the Rat Dog.
Old 08-16-08, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
totally stupid movie...but im glad to see Farley's bro get a starring role...maybe he'll get a better role next time - he was awesome in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode - the Rat Dog.
I think his career honestly peaked with the (underrated) MTV movie 2GE+HER:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEKWZk16N_w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEKWZk16N_w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-16-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Bill O'Reilly's smug, self-satisfied introduction to what looks like the worst film of the year.If this does open on 1,000 screens, they're all going to be in the Heartland. "I'm the Angel of freakin' Death, you turdhead" should draw big laughs in Nebraska.
Old 08-16-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I love Bill O'Reilly's smug, self-satisfied introduction...
Yep'. If you don't enjoy O'Reilly's smugginess, there's really not much to enjoy. That being said, I really like his show.

An American Carol doesn't look that bad. I thought the trailer was amusing. Looks like Zucker is trying his take on the cheeky South Park/Stephen Colbert thing.
Old 08-16-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and we all know that if there was an anti republican movie or a satire on the far right, O'Reilly would denounce it calling it the worst movie ever.
Old 08-16-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
and we all know that if there was an anti republican movie or a satire on the far right, O'Reilly would denounce it calling it the worst movie ever.
He already did. It's called "W.".

Okay, okay. He did talk trash about it. From his point of view, it's going to be an 'anti-right' movie. But I'll take the higher road and SEE THE FUCKING MOVIE before judging it.
Old 08-16-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Looks like Zucker is trying his take on the cheeky South Park/Stephen Colbert thing.
While Colbert swings more to the left, Parker and Stone are right in the middle and have no problems taking both sides down. Kinda like early Simpsons episodes.
Old 08-16-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
He already did. It's called "W.".

Okay, okay. He did talk trash about it. From his point of view, it's going to be an 'anti-right' movie. But I'll take the higher road and SEE THE FUCKING MOVIE before judging it.
Also i remeber he denouced that Brian De Palma/Mark Cuban anti war movie too.
Old 08-16-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He fell off ages ago.. seriously, the last great movie we had that he directed was BASEketball.. and that was 10 years ago.

I miss ZAZ.
Old 08-16-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
He fell off ages ago.. seriously, the last great movie we had that he directed was BASEketball.. and that was 10 years ago.

I miss ZAZ.
I hated, hated, HATED Scary Movie 4 (I think I made it through about 45 minutes before I had to give up) but I thought 3 was still pretty funny. It had its share of clunkers but it threw so many jokes at the screen that at least 75% of them were good and it was probably the last parody movie that had any semblance of the "poker face" that is SUPPOSED to be at the heart of these movies: play goofiness deadly seriously.

As much as I hated SM4 though, I think if I'd seen all of Friedberg and Seltzer's Epic Movie it might have ranked as worse than "Manos". Just watching two minutes of it made me want to die (it was on TV in the breakroom at work).

Even if David Zucker falls from grace (or has already), I do think it's worth stressing to the world that Superhero Movie, even if it is the same level of awfulness, does not, should not and cannot be lumped in with Friedberg and Seltzer's movies. David Zucker was funny, once, F&S never were and never will be.

This did look pretty dumb, but that cast made me think there has to be SOMETHING funny in the picture. Maybe it's R and nothing good could make its way into a TV-broadcast trailer? Maybe? Hello?
Old 08-17-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it looked amusing. Honestly, with Hollywood the way it is, Im surprised this is getting any sort of release.

I'm REALLY gonna laugh when this out-grosses "W". and Redacted....and Lions for Lambs.. ect.
Old 08-17-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 329 Posts
Originally Posted by SuckaMC View Post
I'm REALLY gonna laugh when this out-grosses... Redacted....
Redacted Total US Gross $65,388

Wow, aiming high there.
Old 08-17-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a pretty ardent liberal and even I had to laugh at a couple of the jokes. Especially the depiction of Cuba as a resort island and Mike Malone trying to cop a feel.

It looks like there will be some lame jokes like most of Zucker's other recent outings, but I would blame this movie's lack of success on the impotent delivery of jokes rather than the politics.
Old 08-17-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew View Post
I would blame this movie's lack of success on the impotent delivery of jokes rather than the politics.
Exactly. Liking this film has absolutely nothing to do with whether you're a Republican or a Democrat - it's based purely on whether you have an infantile sense of humor or not.
Old 08-17-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Redacted Total US Gross $65,388

Wow, aiming high there.
Maybe I meant all of them combined My point is that its good to see the other end have a chance to jab. even if its in a totally wacky slapstick comedy. Rather have that than a preachy piece. This might actually entertaining.

Lets see who throws a personal attack at me first just because I'm not condemning this movie.
Old 08-17-08, 01:53 PM
Suspended

Kevin Farley is my generations Jim Belushi.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.