Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Conan movie...a "darker approach"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Conan movie...a "darker approach"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Conan movie...a "darker approach"

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Is it wrong to be attracted to Rose McGowan when she's all witchlike?

All I'm saying is, she fucked Marilyn Manosn. If you still find her attractive knowing that, good for you, but it makes me shrivel up like a slug thrown into the Dead Sea.
Old 05-06-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A huge fan of REH's Conan and I will say again Arnold was NOT Conan. It was a pretty good 80's fantasy flick but a sucky Conan movie. It looks like I'm holding out more hope than most in this thread. I would rather Conan be articulate, smart, and FAST than hugely muscled (but he should be ALL of those things damnit).
Old 05-06-11, 06:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
All I'm saying is, she fucked Marilyn Manosn. If you still find her attractive knowing that, good for you, but it makes me shrivel up like a slug thrown into the Dead Sea.
Who cares? Marilyn Manson's just a dude. I'd be all over Rose McGowan like white on rice.
Old 05-06-11, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that supposed to make me feel better or worse? Monica Bellucci is married to Vincent Casel (granted...he's not a ugly fucker or weird) and that won't stop me from find her wildly gorgeous. Christina Hendricks, a goddess of body right there, is married to that weird guy who was in Devil, (500) Days of Summer, etc. He's kind of weird looking...again...I'd still fuck her.

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
A huge fan of REH's Conan and I will say again Arnold was NOT Conan. It was a pretty good 80's fantasy flick but a sucky Conan movie. It looks like I'm holding out more hope than most in this thread. I would rather Conan be articulate, smart, and FAST than hugely muscled (but he should be ALL of those things damnit).
I know Conan I guess...somehow...I dunno how. I know what he is and I admire the mythology within that world from what I can gather without reading the books...I'll get to those one day. I LOVE the Arnold Conan flick but in no way do I use it as a base of comparison to this new flick. This doesn't look like a good movie.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Who cares? Marilyn Manson's just a dude. I'd be all over Rose McGowan like white on rice.
nice...
Old 05-07-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The new trailer looks alot better but I'm still not too interested in it. The guy playing Conan looks cool though.

I guess I'm still impressed by the original Schwarzenegger trailer. It looked distinctive at the time. After so many movies like 300, and Clash of the Titans, this kind of just looks like more of the same.

The cinematography looks cool, the actor is cool, but everything else seems kind of 'meh.' Rose McGowan as that evil lady seems pretty spooky though.

It's just that I was hoping for some really trippy stuff to be seen in this film. Something like "God in the Bowl" which the producers of "The Golden Child" copied for their film.
Old 05-07-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I can't get over how ugly the main star is. Are they using makeup to enhance his ugly? Or is that all him?
Old 05-09-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched the trailer and this movie looks pretty awful. Bland "Prince of Persia" production design, overused nonsensical CGI, explosions, shitty hard rock soundtrack, some girl screaming "Conan, watch out!" etc. The first Conan is a kind of classic to me: it had a dark Teutonic tone, simple but memorable look, Schwarzenegger at the dawn of his career, one of the best soundtracks ever, James Earl Jones and above all, the confidence to take its ridiculous self seriously. It was even restrained by today's standards, Conan just hacks away without any absurd florishes and tells the gods to go fuck themselves. This new one forgets all of that and throws a bunch of real cool lookin' shit up on the screen.
Old 05-10-11, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Except for the 'samurai' helmets those warriors are wearing, I think it's a pretty cool poster. Looks quite graphic...

Old 05-10-11, 12:27 AM
Banned

All I'm saying is, she fucked Marilyn Manosn.

So did Evan Rachel Wood.

http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/...anson-evan.jpg
Old 05-10-11, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I can't get over how ugly the main star is. Are they using makeup to enhance his ugly? Or is that all him?

I'd rather they have picked this guy:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/image...lights_out.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uXv2b7GVJd...ghts%2BOut.jpg

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-10-11 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

at this kind of logic...
Old 06-06-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After watching Game of Thrones all season, if this movie sucks, Momoa will not be at fault.
Old 06-06-11, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Except for the 'samurai' helmets those warriors are wearing, I think it's a pretty cool poster. Looks quite graphic...

poster looks generic...color etc.
Old 06-06-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14
After watching Game of Thrones all season, if this movie sucks, Momoa will not be at fault.
Agreed. His performance as Khal Drogo is outstanding.
Old 06-06-11, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

After the last few Game of Thones episodes, I totally buy Jason Momoa as Conan. I don't think he'll be packing anyone into theaters, but I have faith that he can be a very good Conan.

The problem is that Marcus Nispel sucks. He took a great concept in Pathfinder and somehow made "Indians vs. Vikings" boring, and that was basically his audition movie for Conan. The trailer just looks cheesey, over-CGIed and low budget.

The reason that the original Conan is so timeless is because everyone involved in the production of it had the chops to pull it off. You had a good script and a good director involved. You can't put a crappy director at the helm of a fantasy movie and expect it to be taken seriously (see Pyun, Albert), and that's why none of the knockoffs are anywhere close to the original Conan.

This just seems to be influenced by too many other things (300, etc). As for it being "dark" and "violent," that only matters when it's done well. Hell, look at Game of Thrones. That's a silly concept but done brilliantly. People who hate fantasy can still take the show seriously, the sex and the violence aren't just there to be there, they're there because it makes sense for the story, and they so over the top that it takes you out of the show. Nobody involved with this version of Conan has the talent or ability, the writers did "A Sound of Thunder" and "Sahara," to make this anything more than another Scorpion King.
Old 06-11-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to chime in with my perception change as well. I've been greatly impressed with Momoa as Drogo on GoT, and I'm actually kinda excited to see what he could do in the role. This just moved up from my "Do Not Want" list to my "Go See a Matineee in 2D" list.
Old 06-17-11, 02:40 PM
Banned

<object id="vid_4dfa49592db5b9186e000001" class="ign-videoplayer" width="680" height="470" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/17/exclusive-conan-red-band-trailer-debut"/></object>
Old 06-17-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Lionsgate wants people to see this movie, right?
Old 06-17-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by The O
Lionsgate wants people to see this movie, right?
Well, they've got at least one more ass in a seat with that trailer. Looks fun as hell.
Old 06-17-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I wonder if they'd get more people to see it if they renamed it, "Karl Drogo the Conqueror". Although I have a feeling Conan isn't as much of a badass as KD.

I've never seen the original, and I don't have a desire to see this, but I hope it does well for those interested in the franchise.
Old 06-17-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I wonder if they'd get more people to see it if they renamed it, "Karl Drogo the Conqueror". Although I have a feeling Conan isn't as much of a badass as KD.

I've never seen the original, and I don't have a desire to see this, but I hope it does well for those interested in the franchise.
Karl? Really dude?

It's Khal
Old 06-17-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks like nothing that has anything to do with REH.
Old 06-17-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That new trailer still makes it look like a direct to DVD, SyFy original. I don't care how old Arnold is now, I'd still rather see a King Conan film than this crap.
Old 06-17-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I wouldn't say it's crap, but Ah-nold kind of ruined anything Conan related with the first movie. So maybe this should have been Kull the Conqueror. I'd be interested in seeing this over a Scorpion King movie. But really, Ah-nold put his stamp on certain characters that he's portrayed (Conan, Terminator) and it's hard to replace him.
Old 06-18-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New trailer makes it look like this could be awesomely bad. Terrible song, though.

Originally Posted by Superman07
I wonder if they'd get more people to see it if they renamed it, "Karl Drogo the Conqueror".

I'm getting visions of Drogo wearing a cheap suit and working in an office.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.