Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weed movies are popular again, sign of the times?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weed movies are popular again, sign of the times?

Old 08-06-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no more of these movies than ones which revolve around beer drinking. Much dumber in my opinion.

Legality aside, I don't think we need to compare stats between the two substances.
Old 08-06-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
There's no more of these movies than ones which revolve around beer drinking. Much dumber in my opinion.

Legality aside, I don't think we need to compare stats between the two substances.
Do it.

Because I agree with you.
Old 08-06-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Do it.

Because I agree with you.
lol well I say live and let live. Of course the 20,000 people killed or 700,000 injured every year in this country by drunks on the road wouldn't probably say that.
Old 08-06-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jiffy97
I wouldn't call any of the guys in the house in "Knocked Up" "pretty productive human beings".
But I'm pretty sure that had to do with them being lazy in general. I don't think weed was holding them back.

It's not like those characters sold everything they owned and were out on the street every night trying to "score." It seems like people think that weed is this unstoppable force that takes people over and makes them immediately incapable of functioning in society.
Old 08-07-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Might help with your insomnia if you got over your religiously imposed hangups.
Wow, where'd that come from? You got anything else you wanna say to me?
Old 08-07-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
You smell like Crisco!!!
Old 08-07-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
It's just tired of hearing the propaganda spread against marijuana like it's this evil that must be flushed from the world. It's no worse than alcohol, and I would say it's less dangerous. I would say it's main opponent has been religious conservaties, which I got the impression you were.

Also, I really think it would help with your insomnia if you gave it a shot instead of instinctively attacking something that you are uncomfortable with.

I can say that I used to think the same as you as well. People who smoke weed have somethign wrong with them and amount to anything, and they only care about drugs. It was how I was brought up as a kid. However once you get out into the world and see that it isn't the case it's frustrating to see that view still pushed.

After trying it myself, I see that it isn't some great evil that will only corrupt people. It's just another form of recreation. Some people may take it too far, but I believe that's more the person's problem than the drug.
Old 08-07-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Linx you just gotta not take posts so seriously, maybe I should've attached a smiley face to my post or something... of course I know those things you mentioned and I agree with that. I've personally never tried it but my biggest hangup is the fact that it is illegal, otherwise I'd give it a try. I do think moderate to regular use does lead to laziness and unproductiveness, and of course when people can't form their sentences or thoughts as a result - it's just sad.
Old 08-07-08, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
i can't agree that everyone who smoke weed is a degenerate loser I have some really cool friends who smoke. One of my friends just got his masters from Northwestern but he doen't smoke all the time just on occassion maybe two or three times a month.
I have a 3.82 GPA in Industrial Engineering at the #1 school in the nation for ISYE, and I smoke weed.
Saw Pineapple Express baked last night ( ), Millheiser I woulda smoked ya up buddy if you'd been here.
Old 08-07-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by wilky61
Millheiser I woulda smoked ya up buddy if you'd been here.
Old 08-08-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not a big fan of marijuana, but I have no problem with people who smoke it. I definitely don't consider them degenerates. I know plenty of people who do. It's a pretty harmless drug. I do think beer is delicious though.
Old 08-08-08, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
It's just tired of hearing the propaganda spread against marijuana like it's this evil that must be flushed from the world. It's no worse than alcohol, and I would say it's less dangerous. I would say it's main opponent has been religious conservaties, which I got the impression you were.

I <3 You.

I have a "friend" who makes over 150k, owns a large home, manages a large group of employees on 2 continents, has 2 kids and is very very responsible. And he smokes at least every other day.

Hollywood portrays the stoner the way they do because it is much funnier than portraying them like, the above mentioned friend.

Pot does make people slackers, people make themselves slackers.
Old 08-08-08, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
Harold and Kumar & Grandma's Boy were bombs at the box office

Both big dvd hits though.
Old 08-08-08, 12:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weed movies where weed is used as a springboard for actual humor =
(Up in Smoke, Harold & Kumar)

Weed movies that think the mere act of being stoned is humor in and of itself =
(Friday After Next, Half Baked [the Bob Saget cameo is gold, though])
Old 08-08-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wish they would legalize it. I agree, it is not something that is going to make our world unravel. It's good for stress and good for better sex and good for better movie watching. Not to mention makes food taste even better.
It doesn't make you a loser anymore than alcohol does.
Old 08-08-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Grandma's Boy is thought of as being popular? Since when!?!?! WORST. MOVIE. EVER.
Grandma's Boy has gained a HUGE audience on video, and it is a very funny movie.
Old 08-08-08, 02:06 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/...ion/index.html

Field trip?
Old 08-08-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I only tried weed once. Didn't care for it. I really dont see the harm in it. Like a previous poster pointed out, there are a lot more alcohol related deaths each year than there are marijuana. Does anyone know the exact statistics of alcohol vs marijuana in terms of death and or injury?

Obama has stated that he'd like to see the drug decriminalized. I would hope that he would follow through with that if he became president.
Old 08-09-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Harold & Kumar, Grandma's Boy, Pineapple Express, there's a few more in the works. The popularity of the show Weeds.
As opposed to the 90s when stuff like Friday (and its two sequels), Half-Baked, The Big Lebowski, and so forth were around? Hell Kevin Spacey won an Oscar smoking weed in American Beauty.
Old 08-09-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by slymer
I'm not a big fan of marijuana, but I have no problem with people who smoke it. I definitely don't consider them degenerates. I know plenty of people who do. It's a pretty harmless drug. I do think beer is delicious though.
Wow. That is ridiculously close to what I would have wrote and how I would have wrote it (I also have trouble with starting sequential sentences with "I" ... hehe). I tried pot once. My reaction was 'meh, whatever, I'm going to go do something else'.

Smoking marajuana would just be an unnecessary 'compromise' for me. Just another thing to leave me out of focus - out of what I really want to do in life. And yes, posting here also leaves me out of focus ... it is my addicition. I guess if you look up to pot, that's okay. But I never did have a reason to settle for it. Too much other good stuff out there (like coke and heroin (in the same sitting) ... and unprotected sex with AIDS infected prostitues ... you pansies).

For the 'responsible pothead folks who make $150k a year' - great for them. But they don't represent the majority of pot smokers. Heck, their income bracket represents like ... 5% of the USA. I have a business-owning, short-tempered, alcoholic brother who takes home $200k a year. Oooooo. I guess I'm just sticking up for the alcoholics now. Since he can live the way he lives, I guess being an alcoholic doesn't hurt. Hang in there and stay drunk, DVDTalkers - you ship will sale - and you will have the free ticket.

So what I'm really trying to say is ... SMOKE POT AND YOU'LL BE AS COOL AND RICH AND SUCESSFUL AS SETH ROGEN. THE MORE YOU SMOKE POT THE MORE LIKE SETH ROGEN YOU'LL BE. HE'S OBVIOUSLY AN EXAMPLE OF HOW ALL POST SMOKERS ARE.
Old 08-09-08, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wm lopez
With Obama a liberal looking to be our next President Hollywood is gearing up.
Just like when we had Jimmy Carter the pop culture was full with weed and then Regan got in and it dissappered. It depends who's in office.
When Clinton was in we had all these Jerry Springer type shows and rap music in pop culture.

where the hell do you come up with this crap?
Old 08-09-08, 08:45 PM

I rate the average user of marijuana as being on about the same level as a paedophile. I can think of nothing worse.

There is a weed user in our street. All he does all day long is sit on his front verandah and smoke his grass. Doesn't have a job, has never had one, doesn't want one. Functionally illiterate, long criminal history. He just sits and smokes, sits and smokes, seven days a week.

What a waste of a life.
Old 08-09-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hu Phan
I rate the average user of marijuana as being on about the same level as a paedophile. I can think of nothing worse.
You've been watching Reefer Madness too much.
Old 08-09-08, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Wow. That is ridiculously close to what I would have wrote and how I would have wrote it (I also have trouble with starting sequential sentences with "I" ... hehe). I tried pot once. My reaction was 'meh, whatever, I'm going to go do something else'.

Smoking marajuana would just be an unnecessary 'compromise' for me. Just another thing to leave me out of focus - out of what I really want to do in life. And yes, posting here also leaves me out of focus ... it is my addicition. I guess if you look up to pot, that's okay. But I never did have a reason to settle for it. Too much other good stuff out there (like coke and heroin (in the same sitting) ... and unprotected sex with AIDS infected prostitues ... you pansies).

For the 'responsible pothead folks who make $150k a year' - great for them. But they don't represent the majority of pot smokers. Heck, their income bracket represents like ... 5% of the USA. I have a business-owning, short-tempered, alcoholic brother who takes home $200k a year. Oooooo. I guess I'm just sticking up for the alcoholics now. Since he can live the way he lives, I guess being an alcoholic doesn't hurt. Hang in there and stay drunk, DVDTalkers - you ship will sale - and you will have the free ticket.

So what I'm really trying to say is ... SMOKE POT AND YOU'LL BE AS COOL AND RICH AND SUCESSFUL AS SETH ROGEN. THE MORE YOU SMOKE POT THE MORE LIKE SETH ROGEN YOU'LL BE. HE'S OBVIOUSLY AN EXAMPLE OF HOW ALL POST SMOKERS ARE.
Interesting...

So, unless you make 150K a year, you're a complete failure?

And basically you're equating marijuana to the use of cocaine, heroin, alcohol, and having unprotected sex with an aids ridden prostitute? You realize that there's almost a complete and entire world of difference between those things and marijuana use don't you?

And who said that they were "looking up" to marijuana?

Who's looking up to Seth Rogen because he smokes pot?
Old 08-10-08, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hu Phan
Seth Rogen, Wu Tang Clan, Willie Nelson all famous weed smokers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.