Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where did Wesley Snipes career go bad?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed some of his movie Passenger 57, Blade 1 & 2, Major League, White Men Can't Jump, New Jack City. It seems like until about '95 he had some decent movies then made a comeback with Blade then what?
Old 08-05-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His next project looks like a pretty high profile one - he co-stars in Antoine Fuqua's Brooklyn's Finest (2009), a crime thriller with Richard Gere, Ethan Hawke and Don Cheadle. It got a brief write up in the latest Entertainment Weekly - Snipes plays a pimp/drug dealer type, with Gere and Cheadle as cops, the latter undercover.
Old 08-05-08, 10:52 PM
Banned

Don't worry. His "comeback" will be with next year's Brooklyn's Finest. There's also legitimate rumours of a Blade 4 these days
Old 08-06-08, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
He also had some great smaller roles in a few Black dramas that many of you probably missed.

I think he just lost his focus. Maybe he started thinking he was immune to crap scripts. Maybe he was too busy planning his tax evasion.
Old 08-06-08, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
The string of DTV titles that he's starred in makes it look as though he was pretty much just taking any job as long as they were offering to pay him.
Old 08-06-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say after he cashed in on Blade. Once you start going the Steven Seagal DTV route, you pretty much wear the Craptastic Scarlet Letter. Guess he needed money pronto.
Old 08-06-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't forget....the Art of War 2 comes out straight to DVD on 8/12.
Old 08-06-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I'll say Murder at 1600 with the Blade series as a mediocre fluke.

Actually, from the looks of his IMDB page, it fell apart shortly after Blade, he had a 1 - 2 year hiatus and never returned to form. (disappeared after 1998 reappearted in 2000)
Old 08-06-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well from what i read he burn't a few bridges that forced him into DTV hell. But i guess doing the "Total Gym" adverts didn't help at all on cable. I laugh every time i see that thing....he is lying through his teeth so much you can see that he is not enjoying doing it.

I think that maybe it really started to go downhill in two stages. The first being the failure of Blade Trinity. The first two movies were enjoyable and well made. Trinity was a mess and just terrible. Also he did Undisputed, which i actually really like. But i seem to remember that this got knocked from being a theatrical release to a DTV release. I think that started the ball rolling whether he liked it or not.

I think the guy still has potential for a comeback, however if he keeps on doing DTV then he will end up like Van Damme, Segal et al. I just hope a few other actors (Jason Statham i am looking at you) don't end up like this.
Old 08-06-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Blade Trinity where he started to take himself way too seriously.
Old 08-06-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd have to agree with those who said Blade. When he walked onto Letterman's set actually wearing the Blade vest on top of his regular clothes to promote the movie, it was all downhill from there.
Old 08-06-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think his earned reputation as a difficult guy to work with has gone a long way towards a downward career.
Old 08-06-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
He's never been that big of a marquee actor to begin with but, recently, with crap like Blade: Trinity I think people just got sick of his obvious egomania and generally limited acted range.
Old 08-06-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzness
Blade Trinity where he started to take himself way too seriously.
Yeah, this is pretty much the point where he started acting like he was god's gift to cinema and was (reportedly) a real pain in the ass to work with.
Old 08-06-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, this is pretty much the point where he started acting like he was god's gift to cinema and was (reportedly) a real pain in the ass to work with.
This is your answer. Staying in character after cut, pissing off your co-stars, directors, etc, and saying you shouldn't share screen time with others, doesn't do yourself any favors.

Wasnt there some heat with him and J-Lo during Money Train? I think I remember reading he was wanting to do that sex scene after hours so to speak, and she turned him down.
Old 08-06-08, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Wasnt there some heat with him and J-Lo during Money Train? I think I remember reading he was wanting to do that sex scene after hours so to speak, and she turned him down.
Yeah, there was mention of Snipes coming on to J-Lo during that movie. She told him no, but he kept trying to push for extracurricular activities. I seem to remember J-Lo saying that she didn't want to work with him again because he was such a jerk.

Snipes has always been a guy that thinks his defecation smells like roses, so it's no surprise that directors and other actors finally got tired of him.
Old 08-06-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
He....better wake up...the world he lives in is just a sugar coated topping!
Old 08-06-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I would say he went downhill when he attended a Nation of Islam speech at Columbia University in 1994 and started cheering on anti-White and anti-Semitic statements coming from the podium.

Prison, fines, and financial ruin couldn't happen to a douchier guy.
Old 08-06-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Blade 3 was the problem..he was already pretty washed up by that point. I think his descent started in the Fan..and it went down from there quickly. By the time he got to Blade, he was definitely on the downward slop and I don't think Blade was that big of a success in the theater..it seemed to do better as one of the first DVD's out there.
Actually I think Robert DeNiro's slide started at the Fan too.
Old 08-06-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by BJacks
I think his earned reputation as a difficult guy to work with has gone a long way towards a downward career.
Enetrainment Weekly did a very good article on him a while back, pretty much explaining his downfall, and it all revolved around his being difficult to work with, and the Blade Trinity fiasco in which he sued New Line over creative differences in production.