DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Cirque du Soleil: Delirium (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/537036-cirque-du-soleil-delirium.html)

fernsita 08-04-08 11:01 AM

Cirque du Soleil: Delirium

I've never been able to see a Cirque show and I have always wanted to go! I read that there is a movie that will be showing for a limited time and I definitely want to go check it out. Seems like the experience will be really great coming from the big screen too! Has anyone seen the show live?

E Unit 08-04-08 11:22 AM

I've seen Alegria and Varekai. Nothing can beat watching them live. I bought the DVD of Varekei after seeing the show, and while it's great seeing the performances again, being right there watching them up close is one amazing experience. I got a CdS email that mentioned the limited release of this film, but no details on it. I'm interested, but is it just a regular performance film? I think the experience on screen would be better if it were in IMAX. Regular theatrical screens won't cut it if you want to get any feel for the experience.

celmendo 08-04-08 01:41 PM

I saw some stuff on DVD once and thought it was so boring and nothing I'd ever want to see. In Vegas I was roped into seeing it to please someone else and I'm a believer. There is so much going on all all over the stage and the cool costumes, colors and hot bodies that you just don't get on film.
Not live= meh, Live=amazing. I've seen Mystere, Love & O in Vegas and recommend them all live.

Lateralus 08-04-08 05:11 PM

I've seen Delirium live and it kicked ass, I'm not sure how it would be on DVD.

I see you are in D.C. well another Cirque de Soleil (Kooza) is coming to National Harbor, MD from Oct 30th to Nov 30th, I would check it out.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/Cirque...washington.htm

Matthew Chmiel 08-04-08 05:17 PM

Delirium is more of a high-concept concert performance than an elaborate stage show like Ka, Love, Mystere and O.

The presentation is apart of Sony's new digital distribution strategy known as The Hot Ticket. It's designed to go against Regal's Fathom Events (which has now spread across to other theater chains due to it's popularity).

However, tickets are $20.

Twenty-fucking-dollars.

The Hot Ticket will also be distributing the last performance of Rent to theaters in September, which I am all-fucking-in on, but if the quality sucks like Fathom Events (DVD-quality projected on a big-screen), count me the fuck out.

Flicker 08-05-08 12:50 PM

I was mesmerized several years ago in seeing "Alegria" at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi.
I wanted to capture the memories so I bought both the live performance (filmed in Australia I think) and the movie on DVD. I still watch them occasionally but seeing one in person is definately worth the admission price.

Giles 08-21-08 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 8855936)
Delirium is more of a high-concept concert performance than an elaborate stage show like 'Ka', 'Love', 'Mystere' and 'O'.

The presentation is apart of Sony's new digital distribution strategy known as The Hot Ticket. It's designed to go against Regal's Fathom Events (which has now spread across to other theater chains due to it's popularity).

However, tickets are $20.

Twenty-fucking-dollars.

The Hot Ticket will also be distributing the last performance of Rent to theaters in September, which I am all-fucking-in on, but if the quality sucks like Fathom Events (DVD-quality projected on a big-screen), count me the fuck out.

I should have read that before I went to it last night. It wasn't bad, but having been to "Corteo" (my first Cirque 'live' experience) - this wasn't that - waaay too much dancing if you ask me. Obviousily my fave parts were the two Asian men on the rope, hoola hoops, and the four guys acrobats

the imagery was great, and with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 it took nearly the whole wall at it's Tyson's Corner engagement. The camera work and editing were top notch. The HiDef DLP presentation was excellent.

Now I hadn't read this thread before going and seeing the trailer for RENT had me in hysterics - I AM SOOOO GOING TO SEE THAT!

the twenty dollars didn't really bother me, but my friend who is a Doctor and has money to burn balked and decided to blow the event off ["loser"], apparently there was a two dollar charge the day of

bdshort 08-21-08 03:59 PM

I've seen some of their performances when they've been on Bravo, and really enjoyed them, so I can't imagine what it would be like to see one in person. I'm quite sure Delirium will not be playing here, so I guess I'll just wait for the blu-ray... or better yet, a trip to Vegas to see a show LIVE!