Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Dystopian Futuristic Films?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best Dystopian Futuristic Films?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the "realistic" tone of 'Land of the Dead,' with the exception of the zombies slowly gaining intelligence. It's best if the audience can digest one fantastical element (zombies existing) and everything else be grounded in reality.

If there were a societal breakdown and it became every man for himself, opportunists would indeed crop up and seize power, and there'd still be 'haves and have-nots.'

I also thought 'Minority Report' showcased a very believable future in terms of technology.
Old 08-06-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RTisBetter
I think it pretty much blows. Equilibrium? Pleasantville? Starship Troopers? V for Vendetta and Serenity over Gattaca?
Two or three movies you don't like and that means the list as a whole is terrible?

Children of Men?
Blade Runner?
Akira?
Dark City?
A Clockwork Orange?

Are those crap movies, too?
Old 08-06-08, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Two or three movies you don't like and that means the list as a whole is terrible?

Children of Men?
Blade Runner?
Akira?
Dark City?
A Clockwork Orange?

Are those crap movies, too?
One of them is.
Old 08-06-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron G
I like the version of Nineteen Eighty-Four with John Hurt and Richard Burton. True, it excises a lot of Goldstein's book, but I think it captures the feeling of the book as well as can be done on the screen.

?

But yeah, I quite enjoyed that film. I wouldn't mind if someone took another stab at it though.
Old 08-06-08, 12:46 PM

Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira.
I own both the DVD and the 6 volume English translated manga.

In the same vein, because the Japanese do love their futuristic settings, I'm also impressed with the Ghost In The Shell movie & TV series'(though not so much the manga/comics). It's highly-in-depth illustration of how information technology shapes the world, I think, is worth thinking about.
...Hm, but I guess GitS is more cyberpunk than dystopia.
Old 08-10-08, 03:45 PM

And has anyone seen THX 1138 - it's one of the movies I recently tried out, and I thought it was pretty different. Sort of reminded me of Logan's Run a bit, which I always liked even though it's kinda cheesy.
Old 08-11-08, 03:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
Has anyone read George Orwell's 1984? I've seen the movie, but haven't read the book, and I'm wondering if the book is better.
Originally Posted by starman9000
Originally Posted by Ron G
I like the version of Nineteen Eighty-Four with John Hurt and Richard Burton. True, it excises a lot of Goldstein's book, but I think it captures the feeling of the book as well as can be done on the screen. . .
?
This is a reference to the book within the book & which Ron G is saying was mostly cut from the film version.

Probably 30 years after it's initial screening, I remember BBC repeating the "live" 1954 dramatisation with Peter Cushing. I think that's the only version I've seen all the way through! No disrespect to any of the adaptations, for a classic of this kind, I suspect that the original book is always worth reading.

Check out the "end of the world"/dystopic fiction thread in (gasp!) Book Talk.