Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Originally Posted by FinkPish
If you haven't read the book, I predict you are going to be one of these pissed off folks who went in expecting an action movie and got something much different. This trailer is wholly unrepresentative of the movie.
No, not at all. I know exactly what I'm getting into. I like McCarthy's stuff I just haven't gotten around to this one yet. I'm not expecting an action extravaganza at all. I'm expecting more of a character study and the relationship between this man and his son.
Old 05-15-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdshort
It sounds like you've seen the movie FinkPish?
Yeah, I worked on it; finished it in January. I'm not surprised by the trailer because they want it to make money and that means appealing to the widest audience possible, but I'm really disappointed that they couldn't have found a better way to explain the movie.

I think if they were honest, they probably wouldn't have that much interest from people who haven't read the book, but personally I'd rather have that situation than tons of people who now hate the movie because the trailer lied to them; people who hate the movie by default because it failed to meet ridiculous expectations put forward by a deceptive trailer. Probably the reason I don't run a movie studio.
Old 05-15-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
No, not at all. I know exactly what I'm getting into. I like McCarthy's stuff I just haven't gotten around to this one yet. I'm not expecting an action extravaganza at all. I'm expecting more of a character study and the relationship between this man and his son.
OK cool. I couldn't tell if you were reacting only to the trailer or everything else going for it.
Old 05-15-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

"The Proposition" was great and I love the book, even if the trailer is rather mainstream and unrepresentative of the tone far as I imagine it should be, the look is fantastic, and I'm still quite psyched for this.
Old 05-15-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fink, do you think once people get in the theater that the film will be able to win over people expecting an action movie? I know for the book I didn't know what to expect and it really is overwhelming with emotions and the imagery. If the movie can pull this off, the trailer might not be so bad. I can't wait for this to come out.
Old 05-15-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
Fink, do you think once people get in the theater that the film will be able to win over people expecting an action movie? I know for the book I didn't know what to expect and it really is overwhelming with emotions and the imagery. If the movie can pull this off, the trailer might not be so bad. I can't wait for this to come out.
For some people, yes, for others, no. It all depends on the person obviously. Some people just don't like being challenged by movies, either emotionally or intellectually or spiritually, and for those people, assuming the trailers continue to be misleading like this, they are gonna be really disappointed and probably angry when they get a movie that isn't paced like an action film. But I'm sure there will be plenty of people who are going to be really pleasantly surprised by the movie. Not necessarily happy, since the movie isn't a great pick-me-up, but satisfied with the experience.
Old 05-15-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me in as one who doesn't like the Hollywood'ized trailer. What the hell? They're marketing it like I Am Legend. I can see how they really captured the essence of the book, but the trailer is very deceptive. This is the same as pulling a bait-and-switch and I definitely think it's going to leave some people angry. I think it should've been marketed more as a drama.
Old 05-15-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grrr
Agreed. The trailer seems to have all of Theron's scenes as well as most of the action. The Road is as far from Mad Max as you can get, and most of the book is spent dealing with the day-to-day realities of feeding yourself when every canned good in the world has been looted and hoarded.
thats what I wish more Zombie Apocalypse films would deal with more, surviving day to day, trying to hide and live, instead of always focusing on the Gore aspect. thats why I loved

day by day armageddon (a fantastic Zombie end of the world type of book that focusing on surviving day by day)

getting back to the movie and trailer looks great.
Old 05-15-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Thanks for posting that. Great review from one of my favorite writers.

This bit gave me more hope for the film:

But there was not a single stupid choice made in turning this book into this movie. No wrongheaded lyric tribute to the novel. No moment engineered simply to make you jump.
Old 05-15-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
thats what I wish more Zombie Apocalypse films would deal with more, surviving day to day, trying to hide and live, instead of always focusing on the Gore aspect. thats why I loved

day by day armageddon (a fantastic Zombie end of the world type of book that focusing on surviving day by day)

getting back to the movie and trailer looks great.
you should read the walking dead (graphic novel)
Old 05-17-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

heard about this movie on the Adam Carolla podcast, man this looks great. I may actually grab a copy of the book and read it before I check this out.
Old 05-18-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if there wasn't anything stupid in the adaptation, i will wait to render judgement on charlize theron's character.
Old 05-18-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this book, never read it. I might try to get on that before this opens. The trailer looked interesting, but didn't totally excite me.
Old 05-28-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty psyched for this. Can't believe it's been delayed for over a year.
Old 05-28-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I am not much of a reader, but I picked this book last year and just flew through it. One of the most powerful books I've ever read. Can't wait to see this film.
Old 07-23-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished the book, I liked it. Will be interesting in checking out the movie for sure now.
Old 07-23-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I haven't read this book but have read "No Country For Old Men" and have friends who have read this one. I can tell they are trying to pull a "Master and Commander" type of marketing move by making it out as something it isn't, resulting in what might be a very good movie getting horrid word of mouth.
Old 07-24-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So does anyone have any faith in the 10-16-2009 date that's now being put out?
Old 09-04-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5 clips from the movie (about 14 minutes). Looks damn good. Hardly recognized Duvall.

http://www.scificool.com/a-ton-of-pr...thys-the-road/
Old 09-04-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked up the book a couple of days ago based on the suggestions here.

Also saw the trailer in front of Halloween II, and it didn't seem much like an action flick, as more of a thriller maybe.
Old 09-04-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah I have a feeling this film is going to suffer for not being easily marketed. Hopefully it will get its due come award season.
Old 09-04-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I just picked up the book a couple of days ago based on the suggestions here.

Also saw the trailer in front of Halloween II, and it didn't seem much like an action flick, as more of a thriller maybe.
No, not a thriller either. Despair and hope, pointless endurance, existing in the now only? Rough book.
Old 09-04-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
No, not a thriller either. Despair and hope, pointless endurance, existing in the now only? Rough book.
i'm not too far into it, but I can definitely tell the book is not a thriller.

I was talking about the impression I got from the film's theatrical trailer.
Old 09-04-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul1957
5 clips from the movie (about 14 minutes). Looks damn good. Hardly recognized Duvall.

http://www.scificool.com/a-ton-of-pr...thys-the-road/
Looks damn good.

I'm stoked after seeing those.
Old 09-04-09, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Viggo Mortensen pushed to edge and having a crazy beard. Means it's a must see.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.