Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: 'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Good point Bunkaroo ... The Apocalypse here had been at least 10 years prior based on The Kid being born after it had started. I understood the utter hopelessness here -- no sunlight, soil destroyed, they said no animals survived (though a few did). The fact that a decade had passed and NO civilization had reemerged is telling.

Not trying to make this another TWD bashing thread, but in contrast to The Road the world in TWD was not decimated. The means to rebuild humanity are available. Society and civilization have taken seed in a number of locations in TWD yet Rick does his damndest to destroy each and every one. Here The Man is simply afraid to even give any other human being (let alone a group) a chance. Enough of that, back to The Road ...

The completely hopeless situation that is our POV for the movie does make one wonder about the rest of the world. I really liked the conversation between Eli and The Man about the last man on Earth (how would he even know?).
Old 12-09-16, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....the kid was born when shit was already in the early states of everything being tits up.

The kid never knew normal.

Never thought about the father being irredeemable. I just don't think he had much to change what he had. The boy was the only thing he had. And keeping him safe and still a child warped the father to be more aggressive in his stance for the boy. Shit. I haven't seen this thing in a while. I have it on BD. I just... don't feel like going in an emotional downhill before work.
Old 12-09-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

IIRC the boy was younger in the book, maybe around 6 or so? I think they had to go with an older kid actor for the material. But yeah still a long time to live in what seems like pure hopelessness. The Walking Dead world seems like a paradise in comparison.
Old 12-11-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The kid never knew normal.
There is a simple but effective exchange between father and son in the book that really drives this home. The father is going off to survey the surrounding area and tells the son, "I'll be in the neighborhood." to reassure him. The son replies, "What's the neighborhood?"

Great book, great film.