Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'The Road' - Nov. 2008

Old 07-18-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 586 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: 'The Road' - Nov. 2008

I got this as a blind buy and watched it today. I liked it but honestly didn't love it. My main problem was with the boy. I found him to be artificially innocent and not once believed that such a person could possibly be the product of a harsh world he was literally born into. It's even more annoying since there's no excuse like having Viggo Mortensen shield him from the harsh realities of life. He told him inspirational stories, yes, but not once did he hide the ugly truth of the world they live in from the boy. SO, although I can buy the boy having a degree of optimism, I cannot for a second believe he could be as extremely na´ve and whiney as he is written.

That's not to say I didn't like the movie. But the boy alone kept me from loving it.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The theif...damn...just wow. Talk about feeling sympathy sooo quickly based off what your hero does to the guy. Just...felt so wrong to leave someone like that. Trying to survive, hell he didn't' harm the kid either. I felt like the kid in that moment, just...felt wrong doing what the father did, though I understand why he did what he did.
I felt no sympathy whatsoever for the thief. Stealing all their food and shelter was exactly the same as if he had left them naked and alone in the same road. I wanted to smack the kid for not being able to see that.
Old 07-18-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts

[QUOTE=RocShemp;11769685]I got this as a blind buy and watched it today. I liked it but honestly didn't love it. My main problem was with the boy. I found him to be artificially innocent and not once believed that such a person could possibly be the product of a harsh world he was literally born into. It's even more annoying since there's no excuse like having Viggo Mortensen shield him from the harsh realities of life. He told him inspirational stories, yes, but not once did he hide the ugly truth of the world they live in from the boy. SO, although I can buy the boy having a degree of optimism, I cannot for a second believe he could be as extremely na´ve and whiney as he is written.

That's not to say I didn't like the movie. But the boy alone kept me from loving it.

[QUOTE=Solid Snake;10696305]The theif...damn...just wow. Talk about feeling sympathy sooo quickly based off what your hero does to the guy. Just...felt so wrong to leave someone like that. Trying to survive, hell he didn't' harm the kid either. I felt like the kid in that moment, just...felt wrong doing what the father did, though I understand why he did what he did.

I felt no sympathy whatsoever for the thief. Stealing all their food and shelter was exactly the same as if he had left them naked and alone in the same road. I wanted to smack the kid for not being able to see that.

He's a little white boy. White parents always try to shield the problems of the big bad world from their kids.

Not big a leap there. Just transfer that same concept to the post apocalyptic future.
Old 07-18-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He's a little white boy. White parents always try to shield the problems of the big bad world from their kids.

Not big a leap there. Just transfer that same concept to the post apocalyptic future.
Except the dad didn't shield him from a damn thing. I'd buy the boy's behavior if the dad was constantly shielding him from the harsh realities of their life. But the dad made sure the boy always knew the way the world was with no sugar coating. The boy's behavior made no sense.
Old 07-18-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

the boy is an allegory for the goodness and purity of humanity even in the face of horror and despair.
This is one of my favorite books and movies of all time. Probably top 3.
Old 07-18-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Except the dad didn't shield him from a damn thing. I'd buy the boy's behavior if the dad was constantly shielding him from the harsh realities of their life. But the dad made sure the boy always knew the way the world was with no sugar coating. The boy's behavior made no sense.

I see what you're saying.
Old 07-18-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
the boy is an allegory for the goodness and purity of humanity even in the face of horror and despair.
This is one of my favorite books and movies of all time. Probably top 3.
I figured as much. Doesn't change the fact that the character is pure artifice and took me out of the movie every time he did or said anything.
Old 07-18-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 169 Posts

I thought the movie was alright, nothing really spectacular. I hated the book, never did finish it.
Old 07-18-13, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We watched this a few weeks ago, been sitting on the shelf for some time. I really wanted to like it but that kid was just to much of a fucking pussy. My wife who usually says I'm harsh when I make such comments of a movie, agreed with me and said the kid was to much.

Also disliked the ending,
Spoiler:
being that protective of the kid should have taught him, but he just leaves with total fucking strangers. Really went the opposite way of the whole film before it.

Think the kid was really a tard. What's eating Gilbert Grapes Road?
Old 07-18-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by banthafett
We watched this a few weeks ago, been sitting on the shelf for some time. I really wanted to like it but that kid was just to much of a fucking pussy. My wife who usually says I'm harsh when I make such comments of a movie, agreed with me and said the kid was to much.

Also disliked the ending,
Spoiler:
being that protective of the kid should have taught him, but he just leaves with total fucking strangers. Really went the opposite way of the whole film before it.

Think the kid was really a tard. What's eating Gilbert Grapes Road?
Although I never considered he might be retarded, I had wondered if the kid was autistic given some of his emotional outbursts. And on the subject of the ending,
Spoiler:
how was the kid not creeped out when the woman outright stated that they had been following the boy and his dad for quite some time?
Old 07-19-13, 01:39 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

You guys seem to have misconstrued the ending.
Spoiler:
I'll admit there is a bit of ambiguity, but the family that adopts him is intended to be good. They have no evil intentions for the boy. One sign of this is that they have a dog. The fact that they care for a dog and didn't eat it on day one shows they are good people.

The boy is a symbol of the last remaining goodness in the world; the kindness and empathy that we are capable of but seldom use and often lose. The father repeatedly tells the boy "You are the light." Highlighting his innocence by showing him do some foolish things makes him a richer character. You guys are too used to tough guy heros.

I just got the book and will be reading it soon.
Old 07-19-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The boy is a symbol of the last remaining goodness in the world; the kindness and empathy that we are capable of but seldom use and often lose.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Old 07-19-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
I'll admit there is a bit of ambiguity, but the family that adopts him is intended to be good. They have no evil intentions for the boy. One sign of this is that they have a dog. The fact that they care for a dog and didn't eat it on day one shows they are good people.

The boy is a symbol of the last remaining goodness in the world; the kindness and empathy that we are capable of but seldom use and often lose. The father repeatedly tells the boy "You are the light." Highlighting his innocence by showing him do some foolish things makes him a richer character. You guys are too used to tough guy heros.

No, I was well aware that
Spoiler:
the family was supposed to be good.
That doesn't change the fact that the boy was far too trusting.

Everything the boy symbolizes is plainly obvious. However, it is in no way organic. And the father says "we're carrying the fire" but, yeah, I get what the script was trying to say. However, it was horribly artificial and in no way believable. The boy was born into a harsh environment and the father was very matter-of-fact about their environment. Just look at when the son is trying to come up with alternate scenarios for the hanged family and the father simply says "you know what happened". It isn't believable that he'd be so na´ve and "innocent". I can believe him trying to cling to a hope his father had long since lost but I don't for a second believe the boy would be the caricature the film presents.

And it's not a case of being used to too tough guy heroes. I don't expect the kid to be a badass. Hell, the father was as far from a badass as you can get. But at least his actions made sense. The boy's simply did not. As I said, the boy's entire behavior and personality was incredibly artificial unless he had been coddled all his life (which he was not). If anything, such an upbringing would have created a harder man than his father (who, unlike his son, actually knew how good the world could be).
Old 07-19-13, 02:46 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

RocShemp, if you didn't love the movie, you can send it my way. K?
Old 07-19-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
RocShemp, if you didn't love the movie, you can send it my way. K?
Just because I didn't love it, doesn't mean I hate it. I just really dislike the kid.
Old 07-19-13, 03:33 PM
RIP

Just because I didn't love it, doesn't mean I hate it. I just really dislike the kid.
No, you'd feel better about yourself, as a human being, if you sent it my way. K?
Old 07-19-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
No, you'd feel better about yourself, as a human being, if you sent it my way. K?
Just use what your last name is made of and get your own copy.
Old 07-19-13, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
One sign of this is that they have a dog. The fact that they care for a dog and didn't eat it on day one shows they are good people.
Spoiler:
Don't have to eat the dog, if fruity ass kids will just leave with you.
Old 07-19-13, 03:41 PM
RIP

Just use what your last name is made of and get your own copy.
Years of drug abuse = empty bank account.
Old 07-19-13, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't follow up on the getting a house bit but how'd that end up?
Old 07-19-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by banthafett
Spoiler:
Don't have to eat the dog, if fruity ass kids will just leave with you.
Besides,
Spoiler:
a dog is a good "tool" for finding more food. Like that juicy young idiot child that they were tracking all that time with the aid of said dog.
Old 07-24-13, 12:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

I finished the book and I will say that the ending is not much different.
Spoiler:
The people don't have a dog in the book, but everything else is the same. The ending is ambiguous; basicly boiling to if you are a pessimist then the new family is bad news, if you are an optimist then the new family is good.

Now, regarding the performance of the boy in the film, that some of you regard as being idiotic or dumb or even autistic. The actor in the film was 12, I think the boy character, as it reads in the book, comes off as much younger. Maybe its because I have a five year old, but the way the boy's dialogue is so simple, often only repeating things his father had told him earlier or asking seamingly obvious questions. Typical dialogue:
Spoiler:
Father gets shot in the leg. Boy: "Was that one of the bad guys Papa?"

I think the kid was writen as much younger but the filmmakers made him older because working with very young actors is difficult and the situations the boy gets in to would make the film an even tougher watch if the boy were six.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-24-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts

Being as the kid was raised without any real schooling or social up-bringing, is it really hard to imagine him being a tad slow or socially incompetent?
Old 07-24-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
Being as the kid was raised without any real schooling or social up-bringing, is it really hard to imagine him being a tad slow or socially incompetent?
I expect someone raised in a violent, cannibalistic world, with a father who mistrusts everyone to not be some damned trusting. I'd also expect him to be more cynical than his own father because, unlike his father, he has no former good times to think back on.

Far more believable would be to see the father struggling to hold onto the last shred of his humanity while watching helplessly as his son grows into the product of the world they now find themselves in.
Old 07-24-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 258 Posts

Yea whatever. You guys claimed that the guy in Drive was retarded. And there's a thread in Other from someone who is paranoid about their kid being autistic.

For some reason, you people always go to that.
Old 07-24-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I expect someone raised in a violent, cannibalistic world, with a father who mistrusts everyone to not be some damned trusting. I'd also expect him to be more cynical than his own father because, unlike his father, he has no former good times to think back on.

Far more believable would be to see the father struggling to hold onto the last shred of his humanity while watching helplessly as his son grows into the product of the world they now find themselves in.
I don't know about that. Aren't children naturally more naive and trusting? That's why we have to teach them about "stranger danger." Adults are naturally more cynical, and I would expect more so after watching civilization collapse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.