Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Rob Cohen, 2008) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" Reviews
8.93%
3.57%
26.79%
30.36%
19.64%
10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Rob Cohen, 2008) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rob Cohen is going to make a decent 2nd unit director one day, but for now, he is absolutely atrocious shooting scenes with dialogue in them. And that's a bad thing. If he had some truly charismatic actors in the cast, he might have gotten a pass, but not with this cast, most of whom just don't have enough to do, or bring much to the table.

The recasting of Evelyn with Maria Bello just doesn't work at all, and there was zero chemistry between her and Brendan Fraser, who was pretty much just collecting a paycheck. Most of their scenes together played very unnatural and it just makes for a trying viewing experience.

The big set pieces look great, but aren't really used in interesting ways, and the actions scenes lack purpose or emotional investment by the viewer. Overall, an unengaging film that can't even muster much excitement in the action sequences.

I give it 1.5 stars, or a grade of D+.

(Fixed Maria's name)

Last edited by Patman; 08-02-08 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
The recasting of Evelyn with Maria Bello just doesn't work at all, and there was zero chemistry between her and Brendan Fraser, who was pretty much just collecting a paycheck.
Fixed. Agree 1,000% with the Maria Bello assessment.
Old 08-02-08, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this movie yesterday and I've had some time to let it sink in. First of all, this movie is nowhere near as horrible as the critics would have you believe (Its at 10% on Rotten Tomatoes). If the first movie is at 53% and the second is at 47%, this one should be about 50%. Its stupid, cheesy, fun, just like the other two.

However, there were some weird things I noticed. For example, Ric's son was a much better character than Ric. I'd like to see a 4th Mummy movie with just him (Brendan Frasier looked like a fool next to him in most scenes). Also, Maria Bello seemed to be concentrating so much on the accent, she didn't seem to ever be in touch with anything going on in the movie. Not to mention the scene when they're all in Jonathan's car and he's actually overacting just driving, twitching and squinting all over the place!

I enjoyed this film overall, but to those who thought this would put Indiana Jones to shame, I have 3 words: fieldgoal kicking Yetis!! That alone tops the "nuked the fridge", gopher, and Shia tarzan scenes in Indy IV. Not to mention the "yakking yak" or the moment when the asian girl holds up the sword and says, "we can kill him WITH THIS!!!!"
Old 08-03-08, 12:54 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by RD1973
I saw this movie yesterday and I've had some time to let it sink in. First of all, this movie is nowhere near as horrible as the critics would have you believe (Its at 10% on Rotten Tomatoes). If the first movie is at 53% and the second is at 47%, this one should be about 50%. Its stupid, cheesy, fun, just like the other two.

However, there were some weird things I noticed. For example, Ric's son was a much better character than Ric. I'd like to see a 4th Mummy movie with just him (Brendan Frasier looked like a fool next to him in most scenes). Also, Maria Bello seemed to be concentrating so much on the accent, she didn't seem to ever be in touch with anything going on in the movie. Not to mention the scene when they're all in Jonathan's car and he's actually overacting just driving, twitching and squinting all over the place!

I enjoyed this film overall, but to those who thought this would put Indiana Jones to shame, I have 3 words: fieldgoal kicking Yetis!! That alone tops the "nuked the fridge", gopher, and Shia tarzan scenes in Indy IV. Not to mention the "yakking yak" or the moment when the asian girl holds up the sword and says, "we can kill him WITH THIS!!!!"
I agree with most of what you've written...

... but I just got back from seeing it and I'm gonna let it sink in a bit and then come back and post again.
Old 08-03-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back from seeing this, and I also agree that it is far better than the RT score is leading people to believe. Is it a masterpiece? The "Dark Knight" of undead filmmaking? Far from it. But it is a fun, mindless summer romp, and I enjoyed it more than Mummy Returns.

One thing I found in a review that I do agree with, and that is that Maria Bello is better in the action scenes than Rachel Weisz, although the review I read actually considered this a criticism of the film. Go figure.

I wouldn't complain if they went back to the well one more time,
Spoiler:
to see what those Peruvian mummies are up to.
Old 08-03-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone feel that the final text of "Mummies were soon found in Peru" was tacked on at the last minute? For some reason it felt like it because it only flashed on the screen for about 2 seconds before fading to black again, sort of like the filmmakers thought, "Oh, the audience won't get the joke about no mummies in Peru, let's tell them why that line is supposed to be funny."
Old 08-03-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Absolutely...and it makes you leave the theatre thinking 'why the fuck did they put that in there' - not a great thing to be thinking as you leave...
Old 08-03-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
While I thought this movie was okay and I enjoyed certain aspects of it (mainly setting it in China), I think the series should end for good after this. I'm really not interested in seeing another film with Peruvian Mummies or any more Mummies in general. Universal needs to start developing some original stuff and not revive old franchises that noone was expecting a sequel for. Hopefully we don't get a Van Helsing 2.
Old 08-03-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Van Helsing was intended to be a series of movies, tv shows, etc; but thankfully fell apart once the movie came out and didn't set the box office ablaze (it didn't bomb, it just didn't do great, and for good reason (I'm still awaiting my refund, dammit))
Old 08-03-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved the first two Mummy movies, and I liked this one but it clearly was a step down in quality.

Things I didn't like:
1. I thought Bello was terrible, and I usually like her too. I guess I took Weisz for granted in the other movies.
2. Hard to believe that was Frasier's son, as he looks about college age himself.
3. Effects needed to be dialed WAY back. Everything was just too much, and I would rather have time spent on the characters than all that unneeded drama. One mummy is enough, don't need ALL that settle down Cohen damn it. I would've liked more time with the actors... well, except for Bello.

That said, it was still a good time and I enjoyed it. Mummies, Brendan, Li, I guess it is hard to mess that up for me although Cohen tried. Still, I think Journey to the Center of the Earth was a whole lot more fun than this was, and it didn't even have to try so hard.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-03-08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 07:41 PM
Cool New Member

I recently saw this movie. I had a free movie ticket. I enjoyed Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh........but the rest of the movie is just OK. It was kind of weird how Brenden Fraser's son in the movie looks older than he does. Oh well...I probably would not watch this again.
Old 08-09-08, 10:57 PM

I just got back from seeing the Mummy 3 for the second time and I really just don't get the hate. I had a great time.

Sure, there's flaws:
The opening scenes with the couple at home are pretty lame and amateurish
Brendan Fraser hams it up more than ever
Maria Bello is completely miscast
Ric and Alex appear to be the same age
The Yetis playing football is off-the-scale horrible

But everything else works. And, maybe its because I'm not very attached to this franchise, but everything listed above just adds to the fun.
Old 08-10-08, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not as bad as I had feared after reading comments on the site before going. As for the Weisz- Bello swap, if I recall correctly she made it clear years ago that she wasn't interested in doing another Mummy picture, hence they held off making one this long? I hold no grudges against Bello for that. While I think Weisz was more athletic, Bello isn't hard on the eyes at all.
Old 08-10-08, 05:10 PM

Just saw this one and was very disappointed.
About 20 minutes in I couldn't wait for it to be over with.

It's a shame, I loved the first two films and really couldn't wait to see this one.

I couldn't sense any chemistry between Fraiser and Bello at all.

No offense to Maria Bello, (she's really a great actress), but that role belongs to Rachel Weisz and no one else should've even tried.
Old 08-10-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this again and liked it a bit more (was pretty tired the first time, which is why I gave it another shot). Still nowhere as good as the first 2, but the action scenes are fun and most of the effects work is pretty damn good.
Old 08-11-08, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
there was one stunt shot that looked really painful, Evelyn's stunt double jumps out of the car as the fireworks are exploding and it almost looks like she breaks her ankle - I really winced at that shot...

as for the movie in general, yes... it's not as good as the first two, but it was fun.

what was up with the chick with the messed up face? who was she? some character development seemed missing.
Old 08-13-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My assesment is similar to the majority here. The one thing I think hurt this movie the most was that Bello/Weisz swap. I just couldn't get into it with someone else playing Evie. As was already suggested they should have had her off doing something else... after all they had the young and old asian chicks to take her place. And I'm sorry, but the "I hope my parents don't figure out I dropped out" and the obvious parent reply "You're going back to college!" are so cliche. I realize this movie is supposed to be somewhat cliche, but not that kind of really bad cliche.

I didn't mind the Yeti really. They could be real... we don't know... and they aren't supernatural like mummies and undead.

One glaring thing (that I just now thought of) was the method for killing Li's mummy.

Spoiler:
Before he goes to the spring, the girl says that the only thing that will kill him is the knife... which lead me to believe that after the spring there would be no way to kill him... but then the knife does exactly what it was supposed to. They should have either had him able to be destroyed before the spring (and perhaps the battle to get to the spring almost kills him?) and then after only the knife could kill him... or hi is truly invincible after the spring and only something like Yeoh has to offer up her own immortality (while her daughter offers hers up to raise the army) to finally defeat him.

For the 4th they could do the
Spoiler:
Peruvian mummies
and then for the 5th they should call it "Mummies Unite!" and have all 3 come after him. (Not counting Scorpion King in that group.)

Last edited by C-Mart; 08-13-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They thought if his powers were restored in the spring it would be nearly impossible to get close enough to him to use the knife, since he can command the elements and shapeshift... so that's why it was important to stop him from getting to the spring. They thought they wouldn't be able to kill him after his power had been restored because he'd be too formidable...however as we saw, it was easier than they originally thought.
Old 08-14-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this Monday. Didn't go with the highest expectations, due to everything I read on the Internet, and perhaps that's why I actually enjoyed it. Had more fun than I did with Crystal Skull. Better pacing, better humor.

I like Maria Bello, but she seemed miscast here. She grew on me once the action picked up, but she really doesn't work as a replacement. Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz share a great chemistry, and that was noticeably lacking this time around.

(Anyone catch what looked like a wink at the audience regarding Bello taking over the Evelyn role?

Spoiler:
It's during the book reading at the beginning. A lady asked Evelyn if the heroine in her Mummy novels was, in fact, Evelyn herself. Evelyn smiled and said, "I can honestly tell you she's a completely different person," or words to that effect.)

The yeti doing the football gesture was campy, but not painfully bad. These movies have always had moments of silliness like that. Hell, The Matrix Reloaded, which is supposed to be a serious film, has Neo throwing an Agent Smith into a crowd of Agent Smiths to the sound of a bowling strike. I sort of winced at that one. With The Mummy, I smile and let it slide.

Overall, not as good as the previous two, mainly due to the absence of Rachel Weisz, but certainly not a bad installment. I would welcome more.

--THX
Old 08-15-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
None of the Mummy flicks were blazing, can't-miss adventures, but they're all a simple fun time. The 3rd one was no exception. Some laughs, nice action sequences, decent villain, I enjoyed it for what it is.
Old 08-19-08, 08:23 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went because I had a free ticket.

Movie was ... ehh. It wasn't bad but wasn't good either. Story was weak (to be expected) and the action was just ok.

Maria Bello did ok in the movie but the vibe was just off. If Rachel Weisz had been in it the movie still wouldn't have been very good but at least the vibe from the 2 main characters would have been better.

Overall an ok movie but I am glad it was free.

Greg
Old 08-19-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw this in the theater last night - I think I liked Mummy 3 just as much as the new Indiana Jones. Very entertaining and fun, and just as good as the other two films. I still think Mummy Returns is the best one...

PROS:
-great villains. The fire/claying effects of Jet Li's mummy was pretty original and interesting. It was great seeing Anthony Wong play an Indiana Jones/James Bond-type villain along with his scarred female sidekick.
-I liked that it felt connected to the previous two films, but this one was totally different since it takes place in China.
-Luke Ford is an interesting actor, sort of reminded me of a bigger version of Cole Hauser.
-the tomb-raiding scene in the beginning and the rise of the Great Wall warriors were pretty cool
-I was entertained by Maria Bello trying to imitate Rachel Weisz (most likely a CON for other viewers)
- only one good choreographed fighting scene - the one in the beginning between Luke Ford and his love interest dressed as ninja

CONS:
-they wasted Jacky Wu (from SPL), a great up-and-coming martial artist star.
-can movies stop using Vic Armstrong? He's an outdated, poor action choreographer. If you are doing a movie with martial arts, you get a famous martial arts choreographer. The fighting scenes were more or less awful. Totally poor direction of Li vs. Yeoh, and totally poor direction of fight scene of Li vs. Fraser. What was this director thinking? Since the fight scenes were so short, they should have just done the slo-mo and not quick cut close-ups. Come on Rob Cohen - you directed Dragon: The Bruce Lee story, which must of had some decent fight scenes in that film. You couldn't have improved after 15 years passed?
Old 08-19-08, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just saw this in the theater last night - I think I liked Mummy 3 just as much as the new Indiana Jones. Very entertaining and fun, and just as good as the other two films. I still think Mummy Returns is the best one...

PROS:
-great villains. The fire/claying effects of Jet Li's mummy was pretty original and interesting. It was great seeing Anthony Wong play an Indiana Jones/James Bond-type villain along with his scarred female sidekick.
-I liked that it felt connected to the previous two films, but this one was totally different since it takes place in China.
-Luke Ford is an interesting actor, sort of reminded me of a bigger version of Cole Hauser.
-the tomb-raiding scene in the beginning and the rise of the Great Wall warriors were pretty cool
-I was entertained by Maria Bello trying to imitate Rachel Weisz (most likely a CON for other viewers)
- only one good choreographed fighting scene - the one in the beginning between Luke Ford and his love interest dressed as ninja

CONS:
-they wasted Jacky Wu (from SPL), a great up-and-coming martial artist star.
-can movies stop using Vic Armstrong? He's an outdated, poor action choreographer. If you are doing a movie with martial arts, you get a famous martial arts choreographer. The fighting scenes were more or less awful. Totally poor direction of Li vs. Yeoh, and totally poor direction of fight scene of Li vs. Fraser. What was this director thinking? Since the fight scenes were so short, they should have just done the slo-mo and not quick cut close-ups. Come on Rob Cohen - you directed Dragon: The Bruce Lee story, which must of had some decent fight scenes in that film. You couldn't have improved after 15 years passed?
exactly (and a good DP) The fight scenes for Batman Begins suffered from terrible framing of the action to the sight lines of the camera.
Old 08-25-08, 02:52 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I enjoyed it though it wasn't as good as the others. The Yetis rocked ! also didn't buy the father and son relationship, more like brothers. Story was also a bit too linear

still fx were good and action packed
Old 08-25-08, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took the kids to see it. They loved it. But they also like baked beans with choc-ice.

Yetis were amusing but the rest was pants.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.