Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Old 12-20-10, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

I was hoping that it would build on the first movie but it seemed to ignore a lot of it. The original Tron was set up like a visual representation of what goes on in a computer. The things Flynn did inside the computer world were what a hacker would do. And the entire goal was to get Tron access to the his User. It was all underneath the surface but that movie was based on what happens inside a PC.

Tron:Legacy had none of that. the Grid had no connection to how computers work.
Spoiler:
And the big 'danger' they set up with the programs escaping didnt make sense to me. And the girl popping out into the real world made even less sense.

I think with a few changes to the script, it would've made the Grid world a lot more enjoyable and solid. The 'escape' should've been them trying to get access to the internet, a huge legendary world that they weren't connected to. The army CLU was building would've been viruses to help him take it over.

And the kicker is, they win, and do get out. Only to be quickly defeated by the defenses of modern networks. Firewalls, antivirus programs, etc. CLU realizes that the net had evolved more than he ever imagined and Flynn was trying to protect his utopia by keeping it disconnected.

That would've been better than the nonsensical second half that this movie tried to serve up.

D
Old 12-20-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The scene with Flynn when he shows up in the club was a better Jedi moment than than anything in Star Wars Episode I-III.
It also exemplified the sheer stupidity of the film as well. the kid Flynn knowing acrobatic kung fu, the pointlessness of Wilde's character bursting on the scene to fight, when she gets her ass handed to her every time she fights, and the constant camera cutting to that annoying character with the actor hamming it up all the time, and the idiotic plot devices like [sspoiler]why didn't Flynn better protect his disc, when he claimed that entire balance of both universes balanced on the possession of his disc. Why didn't he just make a duplicate, since it was explained they were so easy to make. Why didn't he just make a disc that would have blown up[/spoiler].
Old 12-20-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Wait.. when did Sam do any acrobatic moves and kung fu? Huh?!

While we're asking questions like that, why didn't Leo's character in inception just ask Michael Cain to bring the children from America to see him instead of doing a silly dream hack to go to America...

The answer is because then we wouldn't have a movie.
Old 12-20-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw it this weekend. The plot is pretty weak, but overall I had a great time watching it. Just getting back into the tron world after so long was enough for me. The music and effects were spectacular, just a damn fun ride. Bridges is great as always. The CGI Flynn was pretty impressive, except for the mouth. Always looked like he was missing his upper lip.

Big fun thumbs up for me.
Old 12-20-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't recall Sam doing any acrobatic kung fu either. The only thing he really does is make those base jumps.
Old 12-20-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

While we're asking questions like that, why didn't Leo's character in inception just ask Michael Cain to bring the children from America to see him instead of doing a silly dream hack to go to America...

He did a real cool leg sweep somewhere in the film... that was the extent of his martial arts ability. Everything else was sheer instinct. Dodging and deflecting the discs and trying not to get killed.

I left my brain at the door and enjoyed Tron for the sheer visual/sensory experience that it is. I will be seeing it a third time in either DBOX or IMAX.
Old 12-20-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
It also exemplified the sheer stupidity of the film as well. the kid Flynn knowing acrobatic kung fu, the pointlessness of Wilde's character bursting on the scene to fight, when she gets her ass handed to her every time she fights, and the constant camera cutting to that annoying character with the actor hamming it up all the time, and the idiotic plot devices like [sspoiler]why didn't Flynn better protect his disc, when he claimed that entire balance of both universes balanced on the possession of his disc. Why didn't he just make a duplicate, since it was explained they were so easy to make. Why didn't he just make a disc that would have blown up[/spoiler].
Spoiler:
She got her ass handed to her twice. At the club, where she fought multiple opponents and held her own for quite some time, and then later where she fought Tron. She did quite well when she bursted on the light-cycle grid.
Old 12-20-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the kid Flynn knowing acrobatic kung fu...
I didn't see much kung-fu on his end, but his athleticism is set up early when he is escaping the police and does some Parkour-like moves over and around some cars. Anyway, so what if he knows how to fight? He's written as an athletic, adventurer sort who probably could kick some computer-generated villain ass. No one's going to confuse him with Jason Bourne.

Spoiler:
why didn't Flynn better protect his disc, when he claimed that entire balance of both universes balanced on the possession of his disc. Why didn't he just make a duplicate, since it was explained they were so easy to make. Why didn't he just make a disc that would have blown up
at anyone trying to find logic in TRON, a movie about a guy who gets sucked into a video game.
Old 12-20-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Spoiler:
She did quite well when she bursted on the light-cycle grid.
She didn't fight anyone, and that was definitely the best scene in the film and the only reason to see the film IMO.

As for people questioning my comment of Sam doing acrobatic kung fu. He is flipping all over the place throughout the film and yes, he kicks people as well as martial arts style blocks.
Old 12-20-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I still don't remember him doing any flips, let alone "flipping all over the place." It's not like he busted out Neo like Matrix moves out of nowhere.
Old 12-20-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Was it that the Grid was contained inside Flynn's own computer mainframe or was it actually on the net?
Old 12-20-10, 01:18 PM

Box Office Mojo is estimating $43.6 million for the weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3018&p=.htm

Last edited by Alvis; 12-20-10 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Changed link
Old 12-20-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Spoiler:
Was it that the Grid was contained inside Flynn's own computer mainframe or was it actually on the net?
It was all in that one mainframe. The net wasn't even mentioned. And since he was stuck in there since 1989, Flynns idea of the internet wouldn't have come close to what it actually is.

D
Old 12-20-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

at least now he'll never see the horrors of ****** and two girls/one cup.
Old 12-20-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It was good, but not great. My main complaint is that it was about 10-15 minutes too long. I actually think too much time was spent inside the grid, would have liked it if kid Flynn went back and forth to the grid like in and out of the matrix - just mix in a little real-world drama in the middle. That's why I think some people got bored - the grid just became boring after a while and they needed to get out of it more.

As for the box office, yes, I'm sure disney isn't happy. Just a niche movie, too nerdy for the guys who only watch action movies.

That said, this was surprising like what happened with prince of persia - expected them both to do much better. I was shocked that alice and christmas carol did so well. I don't think this needs a sequel right away, maybe in 20 years, have a reboot/sequel.
Old 12-20-10, 03:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
It was good, but not great. My main complaint is that it was about 10-15 minutes too long. I actually think too much time was spent inside the grid, would have liked it if kid Flynn went back and forth to the grid like in and out of the matrix - just mix in a little real-world drama in the middle. That's why I think some people got bored - the grid just became boring after a while and they needed to get out of it more.

As for the box office, yes, I'm sure disney isn't happy. Just a niche movie, too nerdy for the guys who only watch action movies.

That said, this was surprising like what happened with prince of persia - expected them both to do much better. I was shocked that alice and christmas carol did so well. I don't think this needs a sequel right away, maybe in 20 years, have a reboot/sequel.
I agree, I had no idea that Alice was the second highest grossing film of the year.
Old 12-20-10, 04:11 PM
Banned

She didn't fight anyone, and that was definitely the best scene in the film and the only reason to see the film IMO.

As for people questioning my comment of Sam doing acrobatic kung fu. He is flipping all over the place throughout the film and yes, he kicks people as well as martial arts style blocks.
Oh wow, he kicks people? Because no one can do that.

He didn't do one flip in the entire film. Perhaps you are confusing Sam with Rinzler/Tron.
Old 12-20-10, 06:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In regards to the kung-fu, that is an inside reference to the ARG; he was a master student in Brazilian JuJitsu.

I just saw this and I really enjoyed it; if there was any flaw,
Spoiler:
it was that the connection between the ISO's and what they really meant, not just in the Grid, but in the real world was too weak. They were right there with the God-Seven Days allegory and it wasn't fully connected.
There were some pacing issues that could have been resolved and made the movie tighter. And the Flynn de-aging didn't look good at times, perhaps if the film was at a higher frame rate for better movement/detail?

Can't wait to see a sequel, which most definitely would be real vs Grid. Especially since
Spoiler:
Tron lives!
Old 12-20-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Why can't people just have fun, man?
Old 12-20-10, 09:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

if the new Christie dual projector DLP system was actually working to it's fullest (brightness and filling of the giant curved screen) - the Uptown theatre would have been flawless - but AMC knew one the projector's was on the fritz and is fixing the problem. Even though the movie starts with the statement that the movie was shot in both 3D and 2D - alot of the beginning, prior to going into the grid and the very end, you could remove your glasses (which I did).
Old 12-20-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It was similar enough to the first movie, but updated. I didn't expect anything mindblowing, especially in the story department, so I was quite pleased with the result.
Old 12-21-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

In regards to the kung-fu, that is an inside reference to the ARG; he was a master student in Brazilian JuJitsu.
And he did none of it on screen. While I played the ARG for the entire time, hell, I even have one of the 300 data disc from comic con and end of line club posters, the point is Sam didn't do any of that kung fu or matrix shit on screen. So bitching about how he's jumping around... really doesn't make sense.

Besides, if we're following the ARG, then we paged Alan for Clu.

I think people want too much of an explaination. Hell, imagine if when Star Wars came out people were this nitpicky about the force? "Fuck that Obi wan guy. How does it bind us and surround us? How the fuck does that work?!"

"Small exhaust pipe blows up the entire thing?! Pfffft. What-the-fuck-ever, man."

"Where did that blue milk come from? I didn't see any god damn blue cow in the field. And milk in the hot desert? Please. Totally threw me out of the movie!"
Old 12-21-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no idea what ARG is, but there wasn't any BJJ in this film...
Old 12-21-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I have no idea what ARG is, but there wasn't any BJJ in this film...
"Alternate Reality Game", i.e. the viral marketing that invited fans to participate.
Old 12-21-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Fuck that Obi wan guy. How does it bind us and surround us? How the fuck does that work?!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.