Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight: Overrated?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Is the Dark Knight Overrated?
yes
33.43%
no
66.57%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Title says it all. Its an great movie, The best superhero movie ever made in my opinion. But some have called it the greatest movie ever made! Thats when the movie seemed to become overrated.
Old 07-23-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You'll always have people calling this or that movie the best of all time. I'm sure some Transformers loons said the same thing or about ROTS or any other fanboy movie.

I wouldn't call TDK the best movie ever (it's just outside of my Top 20), but I can't call it overrated either, so no.
Old 07-23-08, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-23-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On the IMDB? Absolutely. No way is this better than The Godfather or at least half a dozen other movies in the Top 20.

By fans and critics? Not really. To say it's the best superhero movie of all-time is reasonable. To say it's one of the year's best films is also fair. Although that says just as much about 2008's offerings thus far as it does about the quality of The Dark Knight.

Overall, I'd say yes it is a tad overrated by people. I personally think it's a 3 1/2 star movie(out of 4), but the few flaws it has are minor ones. Now Iron Man. THAT is an overrated movie.
Old 07-23-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope. This coming from a die-hard Superman fan and one of those who were calling it overrated before I saw it myself. I was most definitely wrong. It really is that good and deserves all the praise that it's getting.
Old 07-23-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
No. It's awesome.
Old 07-23-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
*Groan* Seriously? Everybody has different tastes.
Old 07-23-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Just look at the Box Office for Monday, and Tuesday, and close this thread
Old 07-23-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
THE DARK KNIGHT has completely earned its accolades.

All these "best movie ever" people -- whatever. Everyone gets excited when the latest sensation comes out, and young people are morons and generally remain so until they reached the age of 37.

So overrated? Nope. I don't engage in hyperbole, and I also don't for the groin canoe
Old 07-23-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first film to live up to all the hype, so ... No.
Old 07-23-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I don't engage in hyperbole, and I also don't for the groin canoe

When does this set sail? I would like to ride it.
Old 07-23-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really? Another thread? I think TDK is going to break all DVDtalk box office records as well...
Old 07-23-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the first time in a very long time that a movie was not only better than I expected, but better in ways I couldn't have expected. It's not the best movie ever made, as far as I'm concerned, but it's certainly the best comic book movie I've ever seen and definitely the best movie I've seen this year (leaps and bounds above the next one on my list, Iron Man), and probably in the past 4 years. It is very rare that I'll go see a movie two days in a row, but I did. And I don't think I've ever gone to see a movie 3 times in a week, but I will probably end up seeing this again tonight or tomorrow night. And then, hopefully, in IMAX.

So overrated? No, I don't think so. Critical praise, box office record-breaking, audience adoration, etc. With this thread, we've reached how many total threads dedicated to this movie? 1047? Seriously, this is the first movie in a long time that, as Mr. Ackerly said, lived up to the hype. And it deserves all the praise in the world, as far as I'm concerned.

K
Old 07-23-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
This is the first time in a very long time that a movie was not only better than I expected, but better in ways I couldn't have expected. It's not the best movie ever made, as far as I'm concerned, but it's certainly the best comic book movie I've ever seen and definitely the best movie I've seen this year (leaps and bounds above the next one on my list, Iron Man), and probably in the past 4 years. It is very rare that I'll go see a movie two days in a row, but I did. And I don't think I've ever gone to see a movie 3 times in a week, but I will probably end up seeing this again tonight or tomorrow night. And then, hopefully, in IMAX.

So overrated? No, I don't think so. Critical praise, box office record-breaking, audience adoration, etc. With this thread, we've reached how many total threads dedicated to this movie? 1047? Seriously, this is the first movie in a long time that, as Mr. Ackerly said, lived up to the hype. And it deserves all the praise in the world, as far as I'm concerned.

K

Old 07-23-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a great movie and that's what the reviews have been saying.

Regarding the IMDB ranking, I remember seeing "The Incredible Hulk" on the list opening weekend. So I don't put much stock in that.
Old 07-23-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This poll is overrated!

That's what she said.
Old 07-23-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Overrated? Nope. Batman Begins on the other hand...

The Nerd says so!
Old 07-23-08, 01:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
As I said in the other thread, the only way this could possibly have been more overrated by the Internet crowd is if Joss Whedon directed it.
Old 07-23-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
As I said in the other thread, the only way this could possibly have been more overrated by the Internet crowd is if Joss Whedon directed it.
I don't agree with that so much, the high praise for this movie is already deafening, and while Whedon has an extremely vocal group of fans that overrate everything the guy does, I don't think it could necessarily overtake TDK which seems to have a vocal fanbase that is a bit bigger and more varied than the small Whedon fan club. Though, I suppose if you mix the Batfans with the Whedonites, the world may end.
Old 07-23-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am both a Batman fan and a Joss Whedon fan (for the most part). Does that mean I can go about world domination? Should I be the villain in the third movie?

K
Old 07-23-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
And Kristin Bell was Catwoman.
Old 07-23-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or maybe there are fans of things for a reason and people should stop shitting on their creations to be contrarian and hip.

(Not a "Wedonite" by the way)

I do think it's a fantastic movie. Best "comic-book movie", probably the best film of the year. Best of all time? Certainly not. In fact, I doubt many actual Bat fans would say that. It seems to be coming mostly from the (disturbingly large) number of dudes that have some sort of sack-hanging man-crush on Heath Ledger.

I saw it again last night and there was a group of meatheads in front of us that would whip out their little sidekicks (no pun intended) whenever a joker scene came on and start filming. By the interrogation scene, I threatened their leader with death and the destruction of his toy if my friends and I were distracted one more time. These guys, although different in height, build and clique than the douchebags in full makeup are nonetheless the same guys who, when asked, admit to never having read a Batman comic, and who also proclaim it the best movie ever.

Hate the "fan", not the object of their worship.

-Doc

EDITED for FUMANSTAN: I am, however, madly in love with Kristen Bell

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 07-23-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
I am both a Batman fan and a Joss Whedon fan (for the most part). Does that mean I can go about world domination? Should I be the villain in the third movie?

K
You're now Doctor Manhattan from Watchmen.
Old 07-23-08, 01:20 PM

This is a tricky question.

As a film, it's a good time. I don't consider it the best thing I've seen this year, but damn close to it. It's certainly not flawless for me... the pacing felt off, there was some hamfisted dialogue, the Ferry scene didn't work for me (w/o spoiling- the end result was a little cheesy... didn't fit for me). Could have done without the blackmail subplot and the Scarecrow scenes. I am by no means a Batman fanboy... but Bale's menacing voice was just a little bit over the top most of the time. The interrogation scene was all over the place... and yeah, it was the one time Joker was in the makeup and could tell it was Heath. But there was a lot to love too... mainly in the performances and a few clever little bits (Pencil trick is the best thing I've seen in a movie so far this year) that mostly came from Ledger's joker.

As a phenomenon, yeah I think it's slightly overrated. In fact, quite. I can see where this may be the end all for fans of the character and that's great. For fans of the summer blockbuster movie... yep, it's far beyond Pirates or Transformers. When I hear it hailed as one of the best crime films ever or best film of all time or even best film of the last decade I just can't jump on board with that. As a lot of people have pointed out, the hype is so high and it's hard to get a true perspective on a film barely a week old... it begins to feel like a fever.

The film is something I may see again in theatres and will certainly pick up on disc. I enjoy Nolan's work (I'd put The Prestige at #1 for him, Memento #2, TDK #3) and on repeat viewings I am sure I will find more to enjoy with it... but I am basing my "Yes" vote on the general opinion on IMDB... #1. In that respect, I feel it's overrated. Greatly.

Last edited by notkevinbacon; 07-23-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 01:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
And Kristin Bell was Catwoman.
I'll keep my thoughts on that scenario to myself. When I dared to criticize Bell's performance on Heroes last season my PM inbox flowed over with death threats and other...interesting...comments.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.