DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage (2017, D.J. Caruso) S: Vin Diesel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/536043-xxx-3-return-xander-cage-2017-d-j-caruso-s-vin-diesel.html)

Doctor Gonzo 07-21-08 09:14 PM

xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage (2017, D.J. Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

As reported on Hollywood.com and other sites...

While Rob Cohen (Fast and Furious) shies away from directing sequels to his own hit movies, he admits he’s considering making a third xXx installment along with star Vin Diesel.

“Joe Roth came to the dubbing stage [of the Mummy: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor] just last week and sat down and said, ‘I own all the rights to xXx. Vin wants to do another one would you be interested?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, if I can sit down with everybody and make sure the rules are set.’”

Cohen, who didn't always see eye to eye with Diesel, will have some explaining to do in the third film. He killed off Diesel’s character on the xXx DVD special feature, “The Final Chapter: The Death of Xander" prior to the release of director Lee Tamahori's sequel xXx: State of the Union starring Ice Cube.

“You mean when I blew his scalp off?,” says Cohen playfully. “Never has a director gotten so much revenge on an actor. [laughs]…I was so angry by the time we got back from the press tour that when Sony came to me and said…’We are going to have a new one. We want you to shoot a scene that passes the torch.’ I said, ‘Hell with passing the torch, let’s kill him.’ Now I’m a little embarrassed by that, but I just laugh because it was just out of anger.”

Now, Cohen says, “[Vin]s a different man. He’s been sobered by the ups and downs of a career and I think he now understands what a good synergy we had on the set and that he took for granted…I also appreciate what he brings to the table, which is quite a bit. It was just like we were young and foolish, what can I say – or he was young and I was foolish.”

Cohen, who’s toying with the idea of a fourth Mummy movie (the first two were directed by Stephen Sommers, while Cohen directed the third) calls the new Mummy and xXx installments “hypothetical.”

“Both of these are completely hypothetical," he says. "This is Hollywood...I would love to tell you I have two movies back to back planned and that we’re certain, but I have nothing planned."

NiCK Crush 07-21-08 09:17 PM

So, Vin thought he was too big of a star to do a XXX sequel the first time, and now he has realized otherwise?

RocShemp 07-21-08 09:27 PM

And now that special feature five people may have watched will no longer be canon? Seriously, I never saw it (though I was aware it existed) and never knew Cohen directed it.

Jericho 07-21-08 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
So, Vin thought he was too big of a star to do a XXX sequel the first time, and now he has realized otherwise?

Of course he didn't do the first Fast and the Furious sequel either (which Cohen also directed the original of), but he's game now. Sounds like someone could use a buck ;)

As for the Third Fast and the Furious movie...
Spoiler:
he did make a cameo

Tarantino 07-21-08 10:35 PM

What happened on the set between Cohen and Diesel?

= J

Seantn 07-21-08 10:54 PM

That's interesting... the 2nd xXx movie was a HUGE bomb. Funny that they'd even consider another one.

BJacks 07-21-08 11:01 PM

xXx was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I couldn't even get through it. I guess we'll see how the new Fast and the Furious does; that'll prolly dictate whether xXx3 gets the greenlight.

Goldberg74 07-21-08 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
That's interesting... the 2nd xXx movie was a HUGE bomb. Funny that they'd even consider another one.

In spite of Cube, I like the second flick... but not more than the first.

I'd welcome a third one... if it still ended with Vin getting scalped (to keep with the canon ;) ).

Star Wars Guy 07-22-08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I'd welcome a third one... if it still ended with Vin getting scalped (to keep with the canon ;) ).

That's true, they could do a prequel to xXx State of the Union. It worked for Temple of Doom.

Doughboy 07-22-08 07:54 AM

So the one franchise Vin Diesel was really interested in revisiting(Riddick) is toast. And the two he walked away from(Fast and the Furious & xXx) he's now crawling back to.

Is his career going that badly? The Pacifier was a hit, so it's not like the man's box office poison. Or does he love the big paychecks too much to say no?

james2025a 07-22-08 09:23 AM

How is this possible? They state in part two that Vin's character has been killed/assassinated. Is this gonna be XXX3: Extreme Deadness.

Vin Diesel make a sentence out of the following......rope, money, old, for.

Troy Stiffler 07-22-08 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a
How is this possible? They state in part two that Vin's character has been killed/assassinated. Is this gonna be XXX3: Extreme Deadness.

Ever watch a spy movie?

wm lopez 07-22-08 06:01 PM

They should team up Vin with Steven Seagal and Van Damn.

RocShemp 07-22-08 07:12 PM

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the proposed Van Damme vs. Seagal action/comedy idea? It would have been box office gold if they actually got them to play themselves instead of simply getting two actors to imitate them.

devilshalo 07-22-08 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Speaking of which, what ever happened to the proposed Van Damme vs. Seagal action/comedy idea? It would have been box office gold if they actually got them to play themselves instead of simply getting two actors to imitate them.

They need to do some Tropic Thunder-esque type movie about underground fighting. :lol:

Sonic 07-22-08 07:36 PM

I enjoyed triple xxx just because it has some comedy in it that cracks me up. Like that Mexican dude that came walking in while vin was captive and hanging by a rope...and they start busting at the Mexican dude's style lmao

islandclaws 07-23-08 12:00 PM

xXx is one of the biggest pieces of over the top shit I've ever seen. Diesel should work harder at getting another Riddick off the ground than revisiting this shitty series. It's so pathetically obvious the guy now realizes his shit does stink and he needs work.

CKMorpheus 07-23-08 01:37 PM

I dug xXx and I wouldn't mind seeing Vin Diesel in another one. I didn't even go see the 2nd one because of Cube.

GuessWho 07-23-08 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic
I enjoyed triple xxx

xxx xxx xxx?

wm lopez 07-23-08 05:46 PM

I bet the producers are trying to make the next xXx into another BOURNE type just like the JAMES BOND producers did.

DJariya 07-24-08 02:21 AM

Would Sony still have the rights to XXX? Revolution Studios, which produced the film, went out of business.

Yeah, if they write a 3rd movie, I'm curious how the hell the writers will explain Xander getting the skin off his head blown off.

If anyone hasn't seen it, here it is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O48rLcHu2Yc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O48rLcHu2Yc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Star Wars Guy 07-24-08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I bet the producers are trying to make the next xXx into another BOURNE type just like the JAMES BOND producers did.

IIRC, that was the word going around when xXx first came out (don't know if it was just rumors or official word from the studios.) Then hearing that the second had no Vin, but Cube I figured they scrubbed that plan.

As to Xander being dead, I wouldn't worry too much about the little extra clip on a DVD that shows that. In film canon, he was reported as being killed, but we all know that's just an easy way to explain why a certain actor isn't in one movie, but then can pop up in the future.....

xXx 3:
< Vin voice > I'm back. They didn't make me as dead as they thought.< /Vin voice. >

Sonic 07-24-08 02:15 PM

I didn't see the sequel to XXX. But is that clip in the movie? My goodness that clip is cheesy! He doesn't even talk, what happened he turned mute all of a sudden? They always gotta ruin a character by making some type of dumb death.

Star Wars Guy 07-24-08 03:02 PM

Not in the movie.

tylergfoster 07-24-08 03:40 PM

They can just write it off as a decoy, or someone who was faking being Xander.