Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Heath Ledger's Joker one of the greatest performance of all time.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes I believe Heath's performance will go down as one of the best acting performances of all time. Watching the film, if I had no idea who was playing the Joker I would never have guessed it was Ledger, and not because of the make-up. It was a complete transformation. His appearance, speech, walk, everything was a complete performance.

Even when watching the truly great actors, you never forget who is playing the character. Off the top of my head, I cant remember the last time I witnessed an actor transform so much for a role. Nicholson, DeNiro, Pacino, Hackman, Duvall, Eastwood, Hanks, Brando are all fantastic actors, but for better or worse, their roles always retain a certain amount of themselves.

For the record, I was nowhere near a Heath Ledger fan prior to this movie. In fact, I didnt like him at all. Every other time I saw him I still pictured him as the guy singing on the bleachers to Julia Styles in 10 Things I Hate About You.

I cant remember being left in complete awe by a performance like I was with his Joker. Give the man an oscar already and put this one down as one of the all-time greats.

Thoughts?
Old 07-20-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Thoughts? This didn't really deserve its own thread and is just asking for a flame war.
Old 07-20-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Moving to Batman sub-forum.
Old 07-20-08, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need for another thread, but I completely agree. I was actually trying to recognize Ledger during the movie, and could barely even picture him under the make-up, that's how damn good he was.
Old 07-20-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by JPRaup
No need for another thread, but I completely agree. I was actually trying to recognize Ledger during the movie, and could barely even picture him under the make-up, that's how damn good he was.
Really?

You couldn't recognize someone underneath a bunch of make up and prosthetics?

He really was amazing. Somebody nominate this guy for sainthood already.
Old 07-20-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by JPRaup
could barely even picture him under the make-up, that's how damn good he was.
That credit would go to the make-up and visual effects department not Ledger.
Old 07-20-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by thematahara

Even when watching the truly great actors, you never forget who is playing the character. Off the top of my head, I cant remember the last time I witnessed an actor transform so much for a role. Nicholson, DeNiro, Pacino, Hackman, Duvall, Eastwood, Hanks, Brando are all fantastic actors, but for better or worse, their roles always retain a certain amount of themselves.
There is a movie called THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER. It features Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Robert Mitchum, Frank Sinatra and George C. Scott. They are all in make-up/disguise. The ads for the film dare you to try and figure out who's playing which characters. You can't. The end credits show each actor removing his makeup/disguise.
Old 07-20-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noirfan is going to kill himself. Nice going.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 07-20-08 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lopper
Really?

You couldn't recognize someone underneath a bunch of make up and prosthetics?

He really was amazing. Somebody nominate this guy for sainthood already.
I wouldn't call it a "bunch" of prosthetics. Besides the scars on his face, what else was there?
Old 07-20-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Partially, but I didn't recognize his voice or the way he was acting. With Jack Nicholson you'd have to be blind and deaf to not know who that was (which is not knocking him at all, I'm just saying that Heath really got into this part)
Old 07-20-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Besides being a huge Batman fan, I can't wait to see this movie just to see for myself if Heath Ledger's performance really is all that or just hype.
Old 07-20-08, 08:15 PM
Banned

I was talking about the way he moved his mouth, the way he moved, everything about the physical aspect of his performance was so far from playing himself that he completely transformed for the role.
Old 07-20-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I wouldn't call it a "bunch" of prosthetics. Besides the scars on his face, what else was there?

The "bunch" was referring to the make-up, not the prosthetics.

My apologies for the confusion.
Old 07-20-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Noirfan is going to kill himself. Nice going.
My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Besides being a huge Batman fan, I can't wait to see this movie just to see for myself if Heath Ledger's performance really is all that or just hype.
Wait, you're a huge Batman fan and you haven't seen this yet? Go. Go now. No, no, no, I don't want to hear it. Go now. Immediately.

K
Old 07-20-08, 08:20 PM

Moving to Batman sub-forum.

haha

there should be sub-form!
Old 07-20-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047

Wait, you're a huge Batman fan and you haven't seen this yet? Go. Go now. No, no, no, I don't want to hear it. Go now. Immediately.

K
With the exception of Star Wars movies, I never see any big movies on opening weekend. I always wait at least a week or 2 because I don't like packed theaters.
Old 07-20-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was a great performance, but I had no trouble seeing Heath in it. It's not big deal though, great is great.

But of all time? I don't know, not yet. I think there is a certain amount of excitement and hype that clouds his performance a little. It seems like a very fun role to play and I don't think emotionally he was stretched that far, he had about two modes he was in, psychotic and mastermind, often at the same time. He had to push himself, but mostly in one direction. He did a lot of great little things that created a character and depth without having to know a history. Most of all he was an absolute joy to watch.

I'd compare him to Depp's Jack Sparrow in that regard, but better if just because he's grounded slightly more in reality. But the problem I have with roles like that is they get to go to place that isn't exactly real so they have more room to breath. I'm more impressed by someone playing a normal person that goes through a wide emotional range and completely pulls it off, even if it isn't as fun.
Old 07-20-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
With the exception of Star Wars movies, I never see any big movies on opening weekend. I always wait at least a week or 2 because I don't like packed theaters.
You probably shouldn't see this one for at least 2 more weeks in that case.
Old 07-20-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to go as far as saying he was much better than Javier Bardem in NCFOM and Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter. I think he put in the best "supporting" performance I've ever seen.

That's my opinion after seeing it twice.
Old 07-20-08, 08:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It was a very good performance, but it wasn't even the best performance in the film. (That would be Oldman).
Old 07-20-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by thematahara
Yes I believe Heath's performance will go down as one of the best acting performances of all time. Watching the film, if I had no idea who was playing the Joker I would never have guessed it was Ledger, and not because of the make-up. It was a complete transformation. His appearance, speech, walk, everything was a complete performance.

I guess you haven't seen Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. Now THAT was a transformation. The guy's accent changed continents and eras, his physical demanor changed - that was a complete transformation, and it's not the first time that DDL did it, either.

I cant remember being left in complete awe by a performance like I was with his Joker. Give the man an oscar already and put this one down as one of the all-time greats.

Thoughts?
You're just on a TDK high right now...
Old 07-20-08, 08:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
It was a very good performance, but it wasn't even the best performance in the film. (That would be Oldman).
Agreed.
Old 07-20-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
I love TDK, but I think people need to temper on Ledgers performance. Not that it wasn't great, cause it was, but when you start throwing around 'greatest performance of alltime' I think it is a bit much. When you are villain, you can go anywhere with that character, especially psychotic like his character. Many people are saying it blows Nicolson's Joker performance away, but they are two different Batman movies with two different styles. Batman '89 was more campy, and not so serious, so Nicholson played it over the top in a comical way, TDK is a more adult serious drama that Ledger had to play it more pyschotic, yet not too campy. Both depictions of the Joker were great, and they were just playing them to the tone of each movie.
Old 07-20-08, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's only more campy by comparison to TDK. At the time, Batman '89 was considered very dark and brooding. The only point of comparison back then was the 60's TV show, which was all camp.
Old 07-20-08, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
I thought the Gordon performance and the Harvey Dent performances were both better.

But bottom line, these were all good because of the direction and production.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.