Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see how Bane's character relies on Joker. There doesn't need to be a connection.

The stupid thing about Harvey is that Batman survives the fall without any problems (ok so he had armor, but still) and that it seemed awfully abrupt, enough that there's some confusion about what happened and whether he died or not. Regardless, I don't think he needed to "finish" Harvey's arc by killing him off. It would have been just as effective without that.

I really liked the way Riddler was used in Hush, toying and controlling some of the other characters in the comic.

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-21-08 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The next movie could feature a Robin vs. Batman storyline, with Robin trying to save Gotham from Batman.
Old 07-21-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seriously, how could any upstart with no money and personal R&D department stand up against the Batman?
Old 07-21-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Personally I'd be satisfied is Mr. Nolan and company walk away after this one. I'll always wonder what would have been, but we'd have two perfect Batman films comprising one complete and brilliant take both new and in keeping with the comics at the same time. The Godfather 1&2 of Batman and, indeeed, of comic films.
I also totally agree with having to finish Nolan's Batman with this one. If whatever really happened to Harvey Dent in the movie is true, then it would be quite forced to bring him back. And honestly, I really think Ledger's death ended a lot of possibilities for the 3rd Batman film.

Aside fm The Riddler, I think all other villains from the comics just won't work within Nolan's Batman universe.

With Warner Bros. being ecstatic over the success of The Dark Knight, it's apparent they'll be persuading Nolan to do the third one. I really hope that if Nolan decides not to make it, WB won't go to the same mistake of hiring another director (with most likely a different cast) and bringing down the character to the same path as it did before.
Old 07-21-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiac161
With Warner Bros. being ecstatic over the success of The Dark Knight, it's apparent they'll be persuading Nolan to do the third one. I really hope that if Nolan decides not to make it, WB won't go to the same mistake of hiring another director (with most likely a different cast) and bringing down the character to the same path as it did before.
i hate to say it, but because of the Dark Knight's box office success, i guarantee WB will make another one, even if no one associated with these first two agree to come back.
Old 07-21-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
i hate to say it, but because of the Dark Knight's box office success, i guarantee WB will make another one, even if no one associated with these first two agree to come back.
Exactly. I hope that if this is the scenario that Bale (even Oldman) walks away from it too. They may get an extremely talented directer on board if Nolan is a no go but if they do that they should get a new Batman and let the Nolan/Bale films stand on their own.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Just because Nolan and Bale have been excellent does not mean that a new director and actor will turn the franchise to shit. I think a guy like David Fincher has the means to make a great Batman movie.
Old 07-21-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Imagine the fan outrage if he'd ended the movie with a scene like the one in the bar with Two-Face and the crooked cop and we had to wait 3 years to find out what happens next.
I don't remember any outrage after Empire Strikes Back. That's the biggest fucking cliffhanger you can give any fanboy. It only made the anticipation of Return of the Jedi that much larger.
Old 07-21-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is way this stuff always happens, sequels are always more expensive than their predecessors - director and studio get into a pissing match over percentages, studio insists on more villians to draw people in, director gets pissed and pulls out turds like Spiderman 3.
Old 07-21-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kefrank and Goat: Thank you, kind words. My rants can be VERY off-topic, so it's nice to know that 25-minute lapse in any sort of office-work being done was appreciated

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Hell, even the Joker's scheme pales in comparison to what Ra's Al Ghul wanted to do. Poisoning all of Gotham is a lot worse than blowing up two ferries. I agree though that something smaller in scale would be better for the next film. Sure, there needs to be high stakes so the audience feels invested in the outcome. But there's no need to keep elevating the body count.

True, in scope of intended goals, Ra's had a more all-encompassing plan. Joker's came closest to fruition (if not, I'd argue, fully).

Ra's destroyed the Narrows. That sucks. Arkham's inmates are loose. That really sucks. But think about it. The largest portion of Gothamites were totally unaffected. If anything, they watch the news and say, "A terrorist attack on the Narrows. That's horrible! Those poor, poor Poor-People. I'll write a check."

The Joker had the entire city (especially the well-to-do elite) shaking in terror. People were EVACUATING the city. Just look at the scene where the good guys spring their trap. The convoy is moving its way up what looks like a MAJOR thoroughfare. We're talking Broadway, Broad or the like. There is NO ONE on the street. A Fire truck is sitting in the middle of an intersection on fire. EVERYONE is either out of the city or locked in their homes. In terms of SUCCESSFULLY altering the Gotham way of life, Joker far exceded Ra's.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 07-21-08 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The scope of Joker's plan was to destroy the spirit of Gotham. The scope of Ra's plan was to destroy the infrastructure of Gotham. The Joker is, by far, the more potent of the two villains.
Old 07-21-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The scope of Joker's plan was to destroy the spirit of Gotham. The scope of Ra's plan was to destroy the infrastructure of Gotham. The Joker is, by far, the more potent of the two villains.

-Doc
Old 07-21-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The catwoman nod in TDK makes me think she is a possibility especially with
Spoiler:
Rachel getting killed
though I like the idea of Phantasm as well. Could work for the same exact reasons why Catwoman could work. Harley could as well I think though I'm not 100% on her background and if it would tie in.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 07-21-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That was Ra's first plot against Gotham. The 2nd time around he was out to destroy everyone in the city. I'd much prefer a crushed spirit. I can regain that. Losing my mind to a fear toxin is a little tougher to recover from.
Old 07-21-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't mind seeing The Reaper. Don't know if they would want to go the gore route though.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 07-21-08 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Egg-Head and Bookworm

Throw in Minerva, Queen of Diamonds as a love interest.
Old 07-21-08, 11:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as mood goes, I don't think they can get any more dark and depressing as TDK was. They need the third one to be a bit more uplifting. You can add a Dick Grayson to the universe without him becoming Robin (which I know Bale doesn't want to be in a movie with a Robin). Didn't a mobster kill Grayson's family?

I think the next one should focus more on Batman's Detective skills. A Riddler/Seven style movie like someone else mentioned would be pretty neat.

I would also like to see more of Scarecrow. TDK did one of the things I always wanted to see in a comic book movie. Having the hero defeat a bad guy at the start of the movie and then go and fight the movie's main antagonist.

Catwoman would certainly fit in well but she is in no way a villain to carry a whole movie (again as other's have said).

Also, if they needed to redub Joker's lines in any future movie they could just use Richard Dreyfuss. I thought Heath sounded so much like him throughout the movie. I say this without being too serious. I for one think they could recast Joker.
Old 07-21-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
Doc MacGyver wins the thread. everything he said is pretty much spot-on.

Agreed. I've given the matter much thought over the weekend, and pretty much came to the same conclusions.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 07-21-08 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 12:00 AM
En vacance

If they use the Riddler it would be crazy if they made him like the badguy in Se7en.
Old 07-22-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they should do catwoman and the riddler.

And would be cool if they got Audrey Tatou to be catwoman

and guy pearce as they riddler

or paul bettany, either work.

Honestly if nolan and bale only want to do one more batman and then call it quits, I'd be happy if that was the end of batman movies all together.

I think freeze is a better villan, but his powers seem to superheroie and less crime film ish that the movies have been going for.

And bane is retarded, knightfall was one of the worst comic storylines outside of hush and what they're doing now.
Old 07-22-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly, i see no rush to have another Batman movie made. TDK was beautiful and extremely satisfying. I dont see why when a good movie is made, people immediatley start to wonder about the next installment, and what if they do this, or dont do that, or this person doesnt return, etc. Ill be happy if there isnt another Bats movie in a long while, largely due to the fact that TDK was so well done, that im completely content.
Old 07-22-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Huh. I hadn't even thought about Guy Pearce as The Riddler. I'm liking that ... a lot.
Old 07-22-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thegame370
Exactly, i see no rush to have another Batman movie made. TDK was beautiful and extremely satisfying. I dont see why when a good movie is made, people immediatley start to wonder about the next installment, and what if they do this, or dont do that, or this person doesnt return, etc. Ill be happy if there isnt another Bats movie in a long while, largely due to the fact that TDK was so well done, that im completely content.

I was thinking the same thing the other night. I'd be happy with there never being another one made. I thought this one rocked and will probably never be topped, relative to all stories that can be told about The Batman on the big screen.
Old 07-22-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by thegame370
I don't think anyone's in a rush. A third movie won't be here for at least 3 years. By then, we'll be itching for another Batflick.

And the reason people are wondering about another movie is precisely because The Dark Knight was so good. They want more Batman stories brought to the screen by this cast and crew.

There's always the concern that they'll screw things up like most superhero franchises do once the third entry rolls around(i.e. Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man), but I have faith it'll turn out great provided a) Nolan returns and b) the WB execs interfere as little as possible.
Old 07-22-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly i hope nolan does another film in between dark knight and part 3. like he did with the prestige.
Old 07-22-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Huh. I hadn't even thought about Guy Pearce as The Riddler. I'm liking that ... a lot.
I think he'd work also. The Paul Bettany suggestion also could work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.