Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Old 08-01-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by redrum
quote snipped
i gotta be honest. i don't believe a single word of that has any real substance.
Old 08-01-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I'm still sticking with my pick for Eliza Dushku for Catwoman, but I doubt she'd get it.

Also, the more I keep thinking about it, I really think Tilda Swinton would make a perfectly deranged Harley Quinn to follow up Heath's performance, if they should choose that route. Harley in the Nolan Bat-verse would likely be a random psycho who either escaped from Arkham, or was inspired by the Joker, much like Joker felt free to become his real self after seeing Batman. She'd idol-worship the idea of Joker and probably seek out revenge against the man who put away her Mr. J whom she crazily loves and who has never even met.
The only problem with this is that I don't think you can have Harley without someone else to play her off of, whether that's the Joker or whether that's Poison Ivy.
Old 08-01-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
What's the source on this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...e-Riddler.html
Old 08-01-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh I wish this were for real but I have my doubts. Johnny Depp as the Riddler would be awesome. Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin would be great. I didn't think Hoffman knew how to play a villain but I thought he was great in MI:3.
Old 08-01-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angelina Jolie is too big a star but Johnny Depp isnt? Im not a huge Depp fan so I don't care. As long as Nolan is back, thats all the really matters. I didnt see Ledger as the Joker, but that turned out pretty well.
Old 08-01-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Oh I wish this were for real but I have my doubts. Johnny Depp as the Riddler would be awesome. Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin would be great. I didn't think Hoffman knew how to play a villain but I thought he was great in MI:3.

I just can't see making Penguin a major player. Again, maybe as the small-time illegal business man/nightclub owner he is now... but Nolan's not going to have Hoffman dancing around with a top-hat firing umbrella machine guns. And I don't know who would even want to see that. Penguin hasn't been a player in years.

-Doc
Old 08-01-08, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I used to think Angelina Jolie was so hot, but seeing her gave the same lame-ass, slinky performance in every movie has made her boring (Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider 2, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Alexander, Beowulf, Wanted), she would make it stale.
I can't agree more. Jolie is capable of taking on the role, but she has a history of coming across stale in her recent movies.

Theron is an interesting suggestion. But how about Morena Baccarin? It doesn't look like she'll land the Wonder Woman role, so how about another DC character? I just haven't seen much of her outside of Serenity/Firefly to know if her acting is up to par.

I'll go with Nolan's preference to use foreign actors (Bale, Oldman, Murphy, Wilkinson, Ledger) to play American characters in the Batman franchise. I'd like to see what Natalie Dormer could do as Catwoman, after seeing her as Anne Boleyn on The Tudors. I also thought of Zooey Deschanel, but she might do better as Harley Quinn.

Last edited by RTorres481; 08-01-08 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Yeah, enough about Catwoman for now. We've seen that character a few times,
Huh?

Didn't we also see Two-Face AND The Joker already?

While I can totally understand having The Joker again because he's Yin to Batman's Yang, I would argue that Catwoman is far more important than Two-Face. She's a 6 to Batman's 9. But seriously, if they can give Two-Face another chance in film then Catwoman shouldn't be rule out as a possibility.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-01-08 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Kaitlin Olsen from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has always come across as very cat like to me. She's also used to playing greedy and devious.
Old 08-01-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I just can't see making Penguin a major player. Again, maybe as the small-time illegal business man/nightclub owner he is now... but Nolan's not going to have Hoffman dancing around with a top-hat firing umbrella machine guns. And I don't know who would even want to see that. Penguin hasn't been a player in years.

-Doc
I agree. I don't think Hoffman would work as The Penguin in Burton's universe but I think he would be perfect in Nolan's. Not a comic book charactor but just an illegal business man as you say. Maybe as the head of the mob or an up and coming mobster. I think Hoffman would excel in such a role.
Old 08-01-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Have you been to a supermarket lately? She's on the cover of practically every tabloid. She's FAR more famous now than she was in the Billy Bob days.
My point was despite her being on every tabloid cover out there it is all positive these days. That's free publicity. Back in the Billy Bob days it was all about the knives, vials of blood and kissing her brother... all negative.

Originally Posted by RTorres481
But how about Morena Baccarin?
That's an idea. She's not all that great of an actress though.
Old 08-01-08, 04:34 PM

... who are about as reliable as The National Enquirer, who ALSO carried this story in the U.S.

In other words, they're talkin' out their rear ends. Everybody loves to say Johnny Depp for everything, and Philip Seymour Hoffman is far from anybody's idea of the "perfect Penguin."
Old 08-01-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I agree. I don't think Hoffman would work as The Penguin in Burton's universe but I think he would be perfect in Nolan's. Not a comic book charactor but just an illegal business man as you say. Maybe as the head of the mob or an up and coming mobster. I think Hoffman would excel in such a role.

Fair enough. Use him as he is now, then. Nightclub/property owner who runs an illegal black market/smuggling operation. He could factor in at a Maroni or Falcone level. A character in the movie; one of many in the Gotham underworld. Certainly not the primary "villain" though. What you suggest could definitely work with Nolan at the helm

-Doc
Old 08-01-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Hoffman as the current Penguin would be great. Someone he has to shake down sometimes, but can never pin anything on. Throw in some of that smug attitude from MI:3 and you have a winner.
Old 08-01-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fair enough. Use him as he is now, then. Nightclub/property owner who runs an illegal black market/smuggling operation. He could factor in at a Maroni or Falcone level. A character in the movie; one of many in the Gotham underworld. Certainly not the primary "villain" though. What you suggest could definitely work with Nolan at the helm

-Doc
What would make him the penguin though? A monocle? I doubt they would have him use ridiculous umbrellas as weapons.
Old 08-01-08, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe his wardrobe and size would allude and create the name of The Penguin?
Old 08-01-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chucky
Philip Seymour Hoffman is far from anybody's idea of the "perfect Penguin."
Like I said earlier, Toby Jones. No other alternative.
Old 08-02-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Toby Keith as the Penguin. No other alternative.
Old 08-02-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
For Catwoman, how about:
Spoiler:

Old 08-02-08, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I'm not sure who that is, but damn she has good hair.
Old 08-02-08, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
^^ I'm not sure who that is, but damn she has good hair.
Tricia Helfer - Battlestar Galactica and Burn Notice
Old 08-02-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's face it, it's either going to be Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman or some combination of the three. When people think of Batman villains, those are the ones they think of plus Joker. It doesn't matter what their current status is in the comics, since about 1% of the audience actually reads/cares about them.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 08-02-08 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-02-08, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Catwoman: Kate Beckinsale
Old 08-02-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Match
Catwoman: Kate Beckinsale
How predictable and boring.
Old 08-02-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't mind seeing Harley Quinn, but as someone influenced by the Joker more than his girlfriend. Kind of like the Joker version of the Batman copycats, only formidable. It might be their best option to bring back some of the Joker's style considering they can't bring back the actual Joker.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.